Julie Andrews in SF for stem cell fundraiser

Full story: San Jose Mercury News

Singer and actress Julie Andrews will be in San Francisco Monday along with composer Marvin Hamlisch for a fundraiser for stem cell research.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2006
Jane

Berkeley, CA

#1 May 22, 2006
I just got home from this "evening" tonight and, unforutnately, feel very cheated. I love Julie Andrews but her speech seemed to have no apparent theme apart from "travel is broadening," which, to call "contrite"would be an understatement. She needs to open up and tell some stories about her personal life or trials and tribulations that made her stronger or at least tell a joke or something. A large number of people left early, even considering that everyone's tickets were upgraded becuase the event was so undersold. I love the woman, but she needs to get some new material or think up a different act. I'm not even sure exactly why she chose to participate in this event as she never explained any personal significance of stem cell research in her life. New maerial!!!
Sunni

United States

#2 May 24, 2006
ohh how nice
Michele

United States

#3 May 25, 2006
Jane wrote:
I just got home from this "evening" tonight and, unforutnately, feel very cheated. I love Julie Andrews but her speech seemed to have no apparent theme apart from "travel is broadening," which, to call "contrite"would be an understatement. She needs to open up and tell some stories about her personal life or trials and tribulations that made her stronger or at least tell a joke or something. A large number of people left early, even considering that everyone's tickets were upgraded becuase the event was so undersold. I love the woman, but she needs to get some new material or think up a different act. I'm not even sure exactly why she chose to participate in this event as she never explained any personal significance of stem cell research in her life. New maerial!!!
I have not had the opportunity to hear Julie speak at any event. I know that she has been a hit with the Smart Talk Series that Ben Benia
has had her on his tour.

For that she usually brings clips of her movies and tells stories about her life.

That is all I know about her speaking engagements.

She does a lot for charity and that should not dismissed.
Nicole

Frankfort, IL

#4 Jul 25, 2006
Jane wrote:
I am a very big Julie Andrews fan and have seen her talk many times. I too have heard the travel speech back in Sept 1999 when she spoke at Benidictine University in Lisle, Ill. I just recently heard that exact same speech at 'Smart Talk'. I was a little disappointed b/c it was the same. She does have a video played at every event I have been to and it is always the same montage of film clips as well as T.V highlights. It has adapted as her career has...adding PD and PD2 clips but it is pretty much the same video. I would love to get my hands on it...that is for sure b/c it is well put togther. I adore I adore Julie Andrews and if it came down to it I would probably sit through the speech again...but I completely know how you feel.

Ramya Kengeri CA

Hollywood, FL

#5 Jul 29, 2006
Hi Nicole. I am a big Julie Andrews fan too. I have never been to any of her talks. I will be here in Los Angeles only till December. Is there any way of knowing where and when Julie gives these talks (and/or makes public appearances)?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Sound of Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Sound of Music LEGO Version! Jul '14 Josiah Nelson 1
Von Trapp family disappointed in Carrie Underwo... (Dec '13) Feb '14 dmw 3
TV picks for Dec. 5:  "The Sound of Musi... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mary Nganga 1
Profiles in History to Auction Costumes From th... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Colleen smith 1
Lucille Ball polka dot dress sold for $168K (Aug '13) Aug '13 Brandt 1
Christopher Plummer Earns Eugene O'Neill Theate... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Mary 1
Carrie Underwood at the 2011 Academy of Country... (Dec '12) Dec '12 dallaservin 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

The Sound of Music People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••