6 rules from 3 designers for adult children returning to the ro...

Apr 17, 2009 Read more: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 13
It's true: Reality does bite. This is the time in your life when you thought you would finally be child free. Read more
mustbecrazy

New York, NY

#1 Apr 24, 2009
You have got to be kidding me, right? In this economy who has the extra money to change the decor or spruce up a room. Even a few $100 bucks is a lot to most people these days. The kid should be happy to have a roof over their head and a bed to sleep in. Pull out the old comforter give it a good wash and be done with it.
Think

Oviedo, FL

#2 Apr 25, 2009
I agree with the above post. Besides, from personal experience, the "child" already has plenty of his own stuff.
lida

AOL

#3 Apr 25, 2009
Absolutely useless article.Charlene you better pay more attention to your job,Lifestyle Is getting lame.
Step Dad

Jackson, MS

#4 Apr 25, 2009
I am not your real Dad? I guess this is not your real house or real food and I bet that that is not your real car! Find your real Dad and move in with him and enjoy your real life....No really, GO!
caution

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 Apr 25, 2009
"When adult children come home to live with their parents, you can't tell them when to come and go," Zack said.

baloney -----
my house, still my rules,
you don't like it,
live somewhere else ...
KLC

Ormond Beach, FL

#6 Apr 26, 2009
Rule 1) don't make it too comfortable. Especially don't go out and buy all new furniture.

Rule 2) Still filled with children's furniture? Awwww, too bad. Maybe cowboy sheets and Pokeman curtains will make Junior feel too awkward to bring home dates--and encourage him to get his own place.

Rule 3) Encourage Junior to buy his own furniture if he wants a nightstand. And he can take it with him when he leaves.

But most importantly, "Remember, your child is now an adult and this is," NOT, absolutely NOT, "his or her room, so," DO NOT KOWTOW AND, "allow them to participate in the design."

And, "The Graduate?" as an example? Seriously? HOW old are you again?
Xxx

Vero Beach, FL

#7 Apr 27, 2009
To continue from the last post...

Rule 4) Don't forget to charge rent. Junior should at least find a part-time job at Publix or Walmart so he can kick-in some money to help pay the bills.
APD

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Apr 27, 2009
Wow, obviously none of the poster's here have ever struggled to find a job in probably the worst economy anyone under 50 has ever seen.
Way to force your kid on the streets with college debt by telling them to pay rent when they probably have done everything in their power to NOT live at home.
No one wants to move back home and they don't treat it as a vacation, it's an unfortunate option that many will have to take, and hopefully their parents are more understanding than the lot that comment on this article.
It Is Crazy

Orlando, FL

#9 Apr 27, 2009
mustbecrazy wrote:
You have got to be kidding me, right? In this economy who has the extra money to change the decor or spruce up a room. Even a few $100 bucks is a lot to most people these days. The kid should be happy to have a roof over their head and a bed to sleep in. Pull out the old comforter give it a good wash and be done with it.
You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Some folks can't wait till the kids leave. That sheds some light into the kind of parent they were. And they are usually the ones who like to keep up with the Jone's next door, have a burning desire to maintain the inside of their home as a museum or perhaps, even child free. Now I know all parents are not this way. Hell, most times it's just one parent, and it's usually a step parent who wishes to be done with the children of the first marriage so they can finally move on the next venture into their apathetic lives. May they burn in HELL!
Compassionate GOP Member

Orlando, FL

#10 Apr 27, 2009
Force them to accept responsibility and move into a shelter. If they couldn't make it out there, they're not going to make it anywhere. The lil' runts (now grown, of course) need to know there is no net in life other than the one one sows themselves. There should be absolutely no free handouts. They had their time at home. THEY MUST NOW MOVE ON. PERIOD!!!!!
richie

Orlando, FL

#11 Apr 27, 2009
as long as the daughter brings home a friend for daddy, hell, it's more than o.k.

“The Homies Have Spoken”

Since: Jul 08

Lighthouse Point, Florida

#12 Apr 27, 2009
richie wrote:
as long as the daughter brings home a friend for daddy, hell, it's more than o.k.
I'm sure your daughter has a lot of guy friends that will satisy your supressed raging h_omo tendencies.
mustbecrazy

New York, NY

#13 Apr 27, 2009
APD wrote:
Wow, obviously none of the poster's here have ever struggled to find a job in probably the worst economy anyone under 50 has ever seen.
Way to force your kid on the streets with college debt by telling them to pay rent when they probably have done everything in their power to NOT live at home.
No one wants to move back home and they don't treat it as a vacation, it's an unfortunate option that many will have to take, and hopefully their parents are more understanding than the lot that comment on this article.
None of the posters? No, that statement is more than just a little broad. That is not the opinion of us all, you obviously didn't take the time to actually read the posts or you wouldn't have made that statement. I could return home tomorrow with kids in tow (not that I would, but I could)and my Dad would welcome me, my Mom wouldn't be too happy, but at the end of the day I would have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in and I wouldn't expect anyone to make over the room for me, that's for sure. The point of my comment and that of a few others is that this article is ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Graduate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Young men with older ladies: not so taboo (Aug '06) Jan '13 lovestospooge 436
News Steve Scauzillo: It's time to quit using plasti... (Sep '12) Sep '12 guest 14
News Kim Kardashian Would "Definitely" Date Justin B... (Aug '10) Jun '11 dadydear 5
News Mike Argento: Paranoia pays in Pa. - and America (Sep '10) Sep '10 Wrong Again Mike 28
News Jerry Hall set to seduce Perth (Aug '10) Aug '10 mike west aust 2
News Made-for-TV movie to be filmed next week at La ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 uhm 1
News The Allure Of The Cougar (Apr '10) Apr '10 psududegetnlaid 6
More from around the web