No early indicators: The first eight ...

No early indicators: The first eight Oscars went to eight different movies

There are 15 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 27, 2011, titled No early indicators: The first eight Oscars went to eight different movies. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

If you were looking for indications of which movie would win big, early awards at the 83rd Academy Awards ceremony presented mixed signals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Mr winner

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Feb 27, 2011
Its in the winner is the stu stu stu e e e er movie ye ye yeah
e-boogers

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 27, 2011
John Hawkes, Jennifer Lawrence and "Winter's Bone" are the hands-down winners this year. In my meager personal opinion, to which I believe I am still entitled, "Winter's Bone" is the best new film I've seen in a long time.
Realist

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Feb 27, 2011
Anne Hathaway was wonderfully refreshing and genuinely charming. Franco was rather boring.

But where were the shots of the old established stars like Meryl Streep and Robert De Niro?
marydbeaty

College Station, TX

#4 Feb 28, 2011
Coupon shopping should be serious business to? more people in this economy, new thing is collective buying check for the website "Printapons"
Who cares

Elk River, MN

#5 Feb 28, 2011
Not many people watched the show. Does anyone still watch that stuff?
FilmAtTen

AOL

#6 Feb 28, 2011
Phony fanfare for phony people with big egos, patting each other on the back.
Dave

Plymouth, MN

#7 Feb 28, 2011
So why are the Oscar's a big deal anyway? Essentially they are giving awards to themselves. It's kind of incestuous.
Hollywierd

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 28, 2011
Anette Bening looked like a tired old worn out shoe. The people trying to make homosexuality seem normal lobby in hollywood put her out front this year just like they did with Heath Ledger a couple years ago. What a farce. The kids are NOT allright being raised by people practicing homosexuality. Movies trying to normalize this behavior are only setting back young people who could be getting help to turn their lives around. There are great Christian counselors all over the Twin Cities ready to help those who have gone astray. We are praying for you!
NoSht

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Feb 28, 2011
Frank Buckles, age 110 died yesterday. He was the last remaining veteran of World War I. Born in 1901 and lied about his age to enlist at 16.

No mention of it at twincities.com / Pioneer Press but there are about a dozen different takes on the Academy Awards.

Pathetic.
punstermonster

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 28, 2011
FilmAtTen wrote:
Phony fanfare for phony people with big egos, patting each other on the back.
Flunked out of acting class, did you?
JoustTheFlax

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 28, 2011
NoSht wrote:
Frank Buckles, age 110 died yesterday. He was the last remaining veteran of World War I. Born in 1901 and lied about his age to enlist at 16.
No mention of it at twincities.com / Pioneer Press but there are about a dozen different takes on the Academy Awards.
Pathetic.
Yes, there is an article about it, and according to when you posted, it was online at that time. Thank you for playing.
NoSht

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 28, 2011
JoustTheFlax wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, there is an article about it, and according to when you posted, it was online at that time. Thank you for playing.
Yes you are correct. I did see it now but didn't when I orginally looked at twincities.com . I found it at the very bottom, below the all the Oscar stories, the reports on how the looser Timberwolves and Gophers are doing, some light rail BS, whining by taxpayer funded agencies on how to cope with budget cutbacks and wasted print about Regent's largest motorcycle.
As I said earlier, PATHETIC!!!
Mark

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 28, 2011
Who cares wrote:
Not many people watched the show. Does anyone still watch that stuff?
Not when movies like the Kings Speech clean up. Relatively few Americans will see that movie. It's becoming more and more an awards show that does not connect with its American television audience, and celebrates movies and performances that (relatively) nobody cares about.
expand your horizons

Rice Lake, WI

#15 Feb 28, 2011
Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when movies like the Kings Speech clean up. Relatively few Americans will see that movie. It's becoming more and more an awards show that does not connect with its American television audience, and celebrates movies and performances that (relatively) nobody cares about.
This is untrue. I have seen this movie twice and am so happy the "Kings Speech" got so many awards. I am tired of the same old Hollywood Starlits getting the awards as part of a popularity contest rather than a reflection of their perormance. Nice to know Colin Firth is finally being recognized for the great actor he is and Tom Hooper for director too. Both were great at their jobs and true conissours of the big screen will appreciate that.
expand your horizons

Rice Lake, WI

#16 Feb 28, 2011
NoSht wrote:
Pathetic.
You may not agree with the choice of feature stories, but, it is a newspapers job to print stories that will not only attract readers but print stories that will sell their newspaper too. People now days are more concerned with Hollywood hype rather than someone who might have helped the US win a war.
Sad but true. This is the cold harsh truth of reporting the news.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Fighter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Show & Tell | The Columbus Dispatch (Dec '10) Jul '15 cabinfever69 30
News Wahlberg Wants Conviction Tossed (Dec '14) Jan '15 Taajsgpm 11
News DOCUMENT: Hollywood Power In Bizarre Transgende... (Dec '14) Dec '14 TerryE 1
News Mark Wahlberg heading Down Under to promote Tra... (May '14) May '14 Tony Pritchard 1
News Wahlberg shoots down Kardashian comparison (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Wahlberg shoots down Kardashian comparison (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Mark Wahlberg motivated by double duty as actor... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Donkey Estonkey 1
More from around the web