Ron Howard says gay comment will remain

Ron Howard says gay comment will remain

There are 58 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Nov 1, 2010, titled Ron Howard says gay comment will remain. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Ron Howard 's upcoming film "The Dilemma," doesn't hit theaters until Jan. 14, but it's already stirred up quite a bit of controversy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Si Mahosot, Thailand

#1 Nov 1, 2010
The pity, Ron, is that your tacky bit of "gay humor" will be seen as truly homophobic shortly which will render your "film" as an anachronistic piece unworthy of viewing. Tell me, how many times did you use the "n" word in film humor?
3 Bears

Covington, LA

#2 Nov 1, 2010
Hey great job Ron.The gay world is above the rest of us?Oh well, maybe they Think they are.When will we have the gay storm troopers who will come after anyone who would DARE say anything that is not PC ?

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

#3 Nov 1, 2010
I'm finding myself less and less willing to see movies that contain unnecessary anti-gay/trans comments. Truly talented writers don't need to resort to these cliches anyway.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#4 Nov 1, 2010
We already have enough labels. Let's not add "no sense of humour about ourselves" to that list. The last thing I want is for movies to start sounding like network TV sit-coms. I agree with Ron completely on this one.
And if you really think about it ... electric cars are kinda gay.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Nov 1, 2010
What about the "Christshariahn" slur that one of Ron Howard's characters utters in the film? Will that remain, also?

(Ron Howard knows full well what hatreds are actually considered perfectly "politically correct" and which are not.)
Billyjim2

Huntington, WV

#6 Nov 1, 2010
Iím not bothered by the comment, or any comments made by those that simply donít get it or understand. We should never become hypersensitive over comments we may use, but think others should avoid least be become part of the problem. I try to overlook insensitivity just as I would bad manners, but this type of duplicity is common among the Hollywood intelligencia. Every person is important to society even if they may not know how, or where to contribute. Inner fear always manifests itself as outward hostility in various forms. Donít buy into it!

“Snow days!”

Since: Nov 08

A winter wonderland

#7 Nov 1, 2010
mark in Toronto wrote:
We already have enough labels. Let's not add "no sense of humour about ourselves" to that list. The last thing I want is for movies to start sounding like network TV sit-coms. I agree with Ron completely on this one.
And if you really think about it ... electric cars are kinda gay.
The kids in my neighborhood use the word "gay" & it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It's all about whether it's cool or not. A subtle distinction sure, but not intended to be derogatory.
Chelmsford Kid

Lowell, MA

#8 Nov 1, 2010
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
The kids in my neighborhood use the word "gay" & it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It's all about whether it's cool or not. A subtle distinction sure, but not intended to be derogatory.
I agree. I'm a gay man but I say things are "gay" all the time and I'm not meaning to describe those things as "homosexual" or "happy"......it's all about the context. Some people are a bit hypersensitive though I guess....to me the word "gay" isn't nor ever has been offensive like the "N" word. Now if you were to say that electric cars are for faggots I may object....LOL
CharlesP

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Nov 1, 2010
Besides, the entire thing was started by ANDERSON COOPER, who FAMOUSLY called all tea party members a "bunch of teabaggers".
If calling the men (of that group) "tea baggers" is NOT A GAY SLUR, what the heck IS it?????
It CLEARLY means that men who do this are negative/bad people. And the ONLY men who do this would be gay or bi-sexual, which makes it an INSULT TO GAYS.
My point: it was all started by a GIANT HYPOCRITE, who is now also complaining about people BULLYING GAYS!
COOPER REGULARLY USES HIS SHOWS TO BULLY PEOPLE he personally disagrees with, rather than report the news.
--I am NOT supporting people who intentionally try and hurt/abuse gays OR anyone else!
Dave

Albany, GA

#10 Nov 1, 2010
Oh come on folks. It called freedom of speech. If you don't like it don't watch the damn film. The religious right listens to the left call them names also. Get over it.

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#11 Nov 1, 2010
Yes, he has the right to keep the line in the film. We also have the right to call him a f*cking bigot for doing so.
Dave wrote:
Oh come on folks. It called freedom of speech. If you don't like it don't watch the damn film. The religious right listens to the left call them names also. Get over it.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 1, 2010
There is a ventriloquist, whose name escapes me at the moment. Jeff something I believe. He has a puppet named Peanuts. Jeff evidently is the owner of a pale blue Prius. The puppet makes comments about Jeff looking gay in that car, and that the Prius is a car for gays. I have never seen anyone complain about that on these boards. Although, I must admit, I have not read each and every topic thread over the last five years. Like a previous poster, if it was referred to a car for faggots, then I would object. Perhaps I am to permissive, or maybe, just maybe, I haven't lost my sense of humor.

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Nov 1, 2010
Andie J wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, it's clearly meant to be derogatory. There's no question about that.

The only question is exactly how closely this use of the word "gay" to indicate something is undersirable is connected to a personal or political identity of actual homosexuality.

As usual it's closely related to misogyny.

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Nov 1, 2010
Dave wrote:
Actually little talibangelical rejects at school don't have to listen to their classmates, backed tacitly by their teachers and clergy and administrators and parents, routinely using anti "Christian" or anti religious slurs. About the kids or about some thing.

Nor do we see the systematic defamation of "religious" bigots by alleged authorities or editorials or politicians in the media.

However, since you've given permission for all that to start happening - albeit in a purely disingenuous fashion - I look forward to the day when it happens. God knows that so damn many str8 men rape women that being a spawner can't possibly be considered healthy or desirable....
ancient echos

Irvine, CA

#15 Nov 1, 2010
Come you can't be serious, I am a lesbian, and you are complaining about a line it is so gay, when there are movies out there about murder,rape, incest, pedophiles, and you want to complain about it is so gay, sorry it us that has gone to far on this one. There are shows that degrade many races, genders, and so forth, and you want complain about that one line, please...

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Nov 1, 2010
ancient echos wrote:
Come you can't be serious, I am a lesbian, and you are complaining about a line it is so gay, when there are movies out there about murder,rape, incest, pedophiles, and you want to complain about it is so gay, sorry it us that has gone to far on this one. There are shows that degrade many races, genders, and so forth, and you want complain about that one line, please...
Oh yeah, "lesbian," which shows say, "That's so Jewish," or "That's so spawner," or "That's so negro"?

And those other groups you mention do not face pogroms, nor (freely made) defamation by schools, parent, politicians or mainstream "religious" people.

Feel free to think before responding. And maybe don't lie this time. Jeebus don't like liars.

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Nov 1, 2010
ancient echos wrote:
Oh yeah, "lesbian," which shows say, "That's so Jewish," or "That's so spawner," or "That's so negro"? And which schools would permit such expressions?

And those other groups you mention do not face pogroms, nor (freely made) defamation by schools, parent, politicians or mainstream "religious" people.

Feel free to think before responding. And maybe don't lie this time. Jeebus don't like liars.
ancient echos

Irvine, CA

#18 Nov 1, 2010
writewingproxycontin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, "lesbian," which shows say, "That's so Jewish," or "That's so spawner," or "That's so negro"?
i am thinking just fine, many of your adult cartoons, like the simpsons, american dad, south park and others use things like that, this is one line that says that is so gay, Ron Howard didn't mean any harm in it, it is a damn line in a movie, a movie, Ever hear of american X, very racial movie, yet the public didn't out cry, many movies were made of jews, of blacks, of even whites, this is a movie, yet you accept movies about pedophilla, rape, incest, and murder, and one movie with a gay slur you jump to all hell and accuse the director of being racist, were all those other directors murderers, pedophiles, incestual people, no they were excercising their right to make movies... there are many movies degrading women, colored women, watch color purple, should we take all movies down that call people names, hell we be watching all rated G movies, Grow up, there was no malciousness in his using the statement, those that use hate like the religious zealots and bigots do it maliciously, talk shit about me all you want, my opinion isn't going to change on this and yes I am a lesbian and think this is ridiculous.... Fight the fight where it needs to be fought against the true bigots, and haters....
ancient echos

Irvine, CA

#19 Nov 1, 2010
ACLU-Tom wrote:
Yes, he has the right to keep the line in the film. We also have the right to call him a f*cking bigot for doing so.
<quoted text>
Come on Tom, are all politically incorrect movies made by bigots, no, are all comedians that are politically incorrect bigots, no, it is done not out malice, it is a line that is used even by gays themselves. It is just coming a senstive time in the GLBT fight for freedom... so it is very sensitive, we should be fight the true bigots and haters like the religious zealots, and the haters like the Arkansas teacher, and the bullies...
Not duped

Grove City, PA

#21 Nov 1, 2010
Oh, for heaven's sake, as someone who has been called a whole lot of names and had even my deepest and most personal convictions denigrated and ripped to shreds (at least they tried to rip them to shreds), forgive me for being less than sympathetic. (You go, Ron. I've always been a fan, but I really appreciate you setting the example of how to stand up to PC bullies, who are doing nothing but forcing their own opinions on everybody and attempting to exert considerable control over other people. You, in my book, exhibit integrity that is true to the American spirit. I don't know where these PC people come from, but they sure don't seem know the meaning of freedom in America.)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Dilemma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Vince Vaughn will be awesome in True Detective (Oct '14) Oct '14 STALK THIS 2
News 5 Lessons From the 'Duck Dynasty' Controversy (Dec '13) Dec '13 Wondering 3
News Happy Birthday Winona Ryder (Nov '11) Nov '13 hybridCatalyst 6
News The schlubs take over Hollywood (Feb '11) Feb '11 Verona 1
News Hey, Vince, A Dodge Charger or Challenger Hybri... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hybrid Charger 1
News Ryder baffled by outcry over 'gay' line in The ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 nhjeff 6
News Ron Howard Explains Keeping "Gay" Joke in The D... (Oct '10) Nov '10 yernogoood- 268
More from around the web