Best Queer Films of 2013

Best Queer Films of 2013

There are 38 comments on the EDGE story from Dec 31, 2013, titled Best Queer Films of 2013. In it, EDGE reports that:

Interestingly, and perhaps significantly, the most memorable films and performances did not feature gay men, as is usually the case.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 31, 2013
With the "EDGE" record on such things, I'm afraid to look.
Norton

Anonymous Proxy

#2 Dec 31, 2013
snyper wrote:
With the "EDGE" record on such things, I'm afraid to look.
The headline is enough to make me afraid to look.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Dec 31, 2013
Were there any?
Christsharia Law

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Dec 31, 2013
That list is not just the usual glbt indies. A couple are very fine films by any standard, although I'd question the Almodovar based on its reviews from the gay press. And "Canyons" seems like a reach.

The young actor in "Four" was spellbinding in "Beyond the Pines."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Dec 31, 2013
I think the best contributions to LGBT film and TV were those NON-stereotypical characters that appeared here and there, and who were just taken in stride by the other characters in the story.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Jan 1, 2014
We don't need "queer films" anymore than we need "black films" (think Madea).

What we need are accurate portrayals of gays & lesbians where their sexual orientation doesn't solely define who they are, just like we see heterosexuals. We need the good the bad & the ugly.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#7 Jan 2, 2014
Have you guys seen the great film "Ultimate Truth Does San Francisco?"
The REAL Bill OF Rights

Anonymous Proxy

#8 Jan 2, 2014
Gremlin wrote:
Have you guys seen the great film "Ultimate Truth Does San Francisco?"
Is that the one where he drops a nuclear bomb on San Francisco? Great movie!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#11 Jan 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
We don't need "queer films" anymore than we need "black films" (think Madea).
What we need are accurate portrayals of gays & lesbians where their sexual orientation doesn't solely define who they are, just like we see heterosexuals. We need the good the bad & the ugly.
Well you're doing a great job representing the bad and the ugly. The good, not so much.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Jan 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
We don't need "queer films" anymore than we need "black films" (think Madea).
What we need are accurate portrayals of gays & lesbians where their sexual orientation doesn't solely define who they are, just like we see heterosexuals. We need the good the bad & the ugly.
I agree.
How about a movie about 2 blue-collar gay guys who work at the same auto-body shop, but there's a huge culture clash between them because one's from Brooklyn and the other one's from Queens ?

How about that ?!:)
Zorba

Zagreb, Croatia

#13 Jan 13, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you're doing a great job representing the bad and the ugly. The good, not so much.
Spot on!
Zorba

Zagreb, Croatia

#14 Jan 13, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
How about a movie about 2 blue-collar gay guys who work at the same auto-body shop, but there's a huge culture clash between them because one's from Brooklyn and the other one's from Queens ?
How about that ?!:)
And they're constantly bickering over what color to paint the cars because one likes pink and the other likes purple.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Jan 13, 2014
Zorba wrote:
<quoted text>
And they're constantly bickering over what color to paint the cars because one likes pink and the other likes purple.
Yeah ! That's a good idea ! You could be a screenwriter ! We could make a million !:)
Straight Sh00ter

Topeka, KS

#17 Jan 13, 2014
So there will be a sequel to Brokeback Mountain? Will it be Rough Ridaz from Planet Suga Glida?

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#18 Jan 13, 2014
Straight Sh00ter wrote:
So there will be a sequel to Brokeback Mountain? Will it be Rough Ridaz from Planet Suga Glida?
I thought it was a lousy movie and I'm sorry I wasted my money on it. sad to say, so-called "gay films" have a lousy track record, and deservedly so. I've only seen 3 or 4 "gay films" that I enjoyed and that i think are good movies.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#19 Jan 13, 2014
Straight Sh00ter wrote:
So there will be a sequel to Brokeback Mountain? Will it be Rough Ridaz from Planet Suga Glida?
I'm no ho_mo but Brokeback Mountain is a pretty good film. So I was watching it when my girlfriend comes over unexpectedly of course right at the scene where they're doing it like animals out there with the sheep. Then she starts giving me the stink eye. I said relax honey, it's a good movie, which made things worse. Ah good times!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Jan 13, 2014
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no ho_mo but Brokeback Mountain is a pretty good film. So I was watching it when my girlfriend comes over unexpectedly of course right at the scene where they're doing it like animals out there with the sheep. Then she starts giving me the stink eye. I said relax honey, it's a good movie, which made things worse. Ah good times!
You're wrong. It was a LOUSY movie. And since both characters were married to women, I don't think you can say that they were gay.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#21 Jan 13, 2014
And watch out for those star whackers or they'll get you too !

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Jan 13, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong. It was a LOUSY movie. And since both characters were married to women, I don't think you can say that they were gay.
One of your dumber comments, and that takes a lot from you.

Many gay men married women during those days.

Many still do.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#23 Jan 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
One of your dumber comments, and that takes a lot from you.
Many gay men married women during those days.
Many still do.
It was a LOUSY movie. And the characters weren't gay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Canyons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lindsay Lohan shows off her long pins in a pair... (Apr '14) Apr '14 M Robert 1
News Lohan is no-show in Venice (Aug '13) Aug '13 another noted obs... 1
More from around the web