Which Jerry Lewis will visit the Oscars?

Which Jerry Lewis will visit the Oscars?

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 13, 2009, titled Which Jerry Lewis will visit the Oscars?. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

We can't lose with Jerry Lewis at the Oscars next Sunday. Like the clashing personalities showcased in Lewis' greatest film, two scenarios present themselves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Acedumbmey

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2009
There are PLENTY of actors that go unreconized each and every year.
Trunk

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Feb 14, 2009
The winner is Senario #2. Doubt the theatre where the award ceremony is going to be held is big enough to hold his overbloated ego.
Chicago Al

El Dorado Hills, CA

#3 Feb 14, 2009
Great column. Very thoughtful.
Jeebus

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Feb 14, 2009
Jerry Lewis was a comic genius. Films like The Ladies Man, Who's Minding the Store, The Disorderly Orderly and Hollywood or Bust are gold. The people who "don't get it" probably don't get the Marx Bros. or Abbott & Costello either.
Curious

Cary, IL

#5 Feb 14, 2009
Do people really care in this economy? Probably not.
Iggy

Santa Clara, CA

#6 Feb 14, 2009
So why are you reading the Entertainment section, Mr. Mooney?
Curious wrote:
Do people really care in this economy? Probably not.
Wardell

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 14, 2009
I say he'll begin with a serious tone then get all "Hey Lady!!" drooling over some front-row fahoybins.
melodylane

Skokie, IL

#8 Feb 14, 2009
Chicago Al wrote:
Great column. Very thoughtful.
Yes, and it also allows him to be imperfect and improving. Very few people have done as much to cure an illness. He's not perfect, but he sure as hell is a good man.
Ruppert Pupkin

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 14, 2009
I wouldn't necessarily want to meet Mr. Lewis -- I know those who have and he can indeed be very arrogant one-to-one. But I get what he's done and I think you're assessment and put-down is just out of touch, or too young, and consequently pc. Try doing what Lewis did, especially miming the recordings, like Count Basie. I perform that music in big bands, and know all the kicks and I can't do what JL does. He is unique and deserves his due. It should be all positive, period. Anyone who takes him to task comes off as jealous of his stardom and self-important. Did he make you laugh? Then leave the quasi-pseudo social analysis out of it.
FAL

West Palm Beach, FL

#10 Feb 14, 2009
Acedumbmey wrote:
There are PLENTY of actors that go unreconized each and every year.
You are 100% correct in your comment, and those other people are actually actors and good ones too.
merlelynn

Skokie, IL

#11 Feb 14, 2009
Ruppert Pupkin wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily want to meet Mr. Lewis -- I know those who have and he can indeed be very arrogant one-to-one. But I get what he's done and I think you're assessment and put-down is just out of touch, or too young, and consequently pc. Try doing what Lewis did, especially miming the recordings, like Count Basie. I perform that music in big bands, and know all the kicks and I can't do what JL does. He is unique and deserves his due. It should be all positive, period. Anyone who takes him to task comes off as jealous of his stardom and self-important. Did he make you laugh? Then leave the quasi-pseudo social analysis out of it.
The man is unique, talented and has a wonderful charitable soul.
Buddy

Gurnee, IL

#12 Feb 14, 2009
Which Jerry will show up at the Oscars?

Fifty... fifty. I don't think Jerry himself knows which one is going to show up at the Oscars. This is a very impulsive guy who will rehearse it in his head both ways, and make his decision as he walks onstage.
Bravo Bravo

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 14, 2009
He's an entertainer a showman. Who cares about his personality? He gets paid to entertain...like a court jester. He's an old man who has done great things for the M.D. cause.
Yes, give him an Oscar. In the grand scheme of things, who will remember but his family.
booksdates

United States

#14 Feb 15, 2009
Thanks to the writer for actually knowing and researching the subject for a change. TNP was never meant to be a send off on Dean and I agree with the writer that Jerry is mirroring himself in a very self absorbing mood along with a taste of Frank Sinatra's arrogance. For me, I absolutely love the guy and have over 35 of his movies in my collection. TNP is one of the best. Jerry's love for music and especially big band Jazz comes out in many of his flicks. I too would never want to meet him although I did have a chance and took a pass. He, I am told by people that were around him in the day, can be very volatile. However, as Bogart said the only thing you owe the audience is a great performance. IMO many geniuses are just that. Buddy Rich, Mel Torme, etc. were similiar in their demeanor
cindy lou

Skokie, IL

#15 Feb 15, 2009
FAL wrote:
<quoted text> You are 100% correct in your comment, and those other people are actually actors and good ones too.
It is NOT an acting award, it is a humanitarian award and he has done miracles for those of us with diseases like MD.

“LONELY BEACON OF TRUTH”

Since: Oct 07

Drifter

#16 Feb 15, 2009
I remember seeing Nutty Professor with my aunt in the Loop. This is back when first run movies were only in the loop. I was 10 and thought it was a great movie. I still do. Later in life I' saw Mr. Lewis in Las Vegas doing his act with the late Sammy Davis, Jr. Sammy did an imitation of Jerry, with Jerry standing beside him. Sammy was so good that you could not tell who was who. I am not kidding.

Glad this Oscar is going to him. I don't care about Jerry's demons as I don't have to go home with him.
Ben Mattlin

United States

#18 Feb 21, 2009
Jerry Lewis does not deserve the humanitarian award. It's not just the derogatory comments he continues to make. It's that all his work for the MDA -- the Labor Day telethons and so forth -- do far more harm to than good for people with disabilities.

The will MDA is not saving kids' lives. In fact, I'm not sure the charity itself isn't corrupt.

Which is why disability-rights activists from across the country are converging on Hollywood to protest this award. We have more than 2000 signatures on a petition, but the Academy doesn't care.

What I do know is that Lewis exploits kids with disabilities (including me, 40 years ago) to use pity as a strategy for fund-raising, which sets the cause of disability rights back a generation or two. "Help Jerry's kids" is insulting. More important, it's dangerous for our social status and self-esteem. No, it's not easy being a person with a disability in an able-bodied world. But we certainly don't need Jerry's raising pity, or Jerry's bucks for medical charity, making matters worse.

Would you hire one of Jerry's kids for a job? Would you want your son/daughter or brother/sister to marry one of Jerry's kids? Clearly, the whole idea does not further equality or full integration of the disabled. It marginalizes us.

For two decades Lewis and the MDA have refused to work things out with us. We have tried. Instead, Lewis threatens us with nothing short of assassination. The organization does not join the fight for disability-rights legislation, does not employ people with disabilities in any meaningful way, and does not hold its corporate sponsors to any kind of standard of fairness. Neither the MDA nor Jerry Lewis fit the definition of humanitarian.

I would be happy to discuss this with anyone interested. For more information, go to www.TheTroublewithJerry.com
merlelynn

Skokie, IL

#19 Feb 21, 2009
Ben Mattlin wrote:
Jerry Lewis does not deserve the humanitarian award. It's not just the derogatory comments he continues to make. It's that all his work for the MDA -- the Labor Day telethons and so forth -- do far more harm to than good for people with disabilities.
The will MDA is not saving kids' lives. In fact, I'm not sure the charity itself isn't corrupt.
Which is why disability-rights activists from across the country are converging on Hollywood to protest this award. We have more than 2000 signatures on a petition, but the Academy doesn't care.
What I do know is that Lewis exploits kids with disabilities (including me, 40 years ago) to use pity as a strategy for fund-raising, which sets the cause of disability rights back a generation or two. "Help Jerry's kids" is insulting. More important, it's dangerous for our social status and self-esteem. No, it's not easy being a person with a disability in an able-bodied world. But we certainly don't need Jerry's raising pity, or Jerry's bucks for medical charity, making matters worse.
Would you hire one of Jerry's kids for a job? Would you want your son/daughter or brother/sister to marry one of Jerry's kids? Clearly, the whole idea does not further equality or full integration of the disabled. It marginalizes us.
For two decades Lewis and the MDA have refused to work things out with us. We have tried. Instead, Lewis threatens us with nothing short of assassination. The organization does not join the fight for disability-rights legislation, does not employ people with disabilities in any meaningful way, and does not hold its corporate sponsors to any kind of standard of fairness. Neither the MDA nor Jerry Lewis fit the definition of humanitarian.
I would be happy to discuss this with anyone interested. For more information, go to www.TheTroublewithJerry.com
My experience with his charity has been very positive. I'm sorry yours wasn't. But, maybe you weren't easy to work with either.
Robert

Boone Grove, IN

#20 Mar 10, 2009
Jerry has done amazing things and has taken all the accolades and heat for it too. Read the book "Dean and Me". Whether you like him or not, you'll love the book.
rezasantorini

Skokie, IL

#21 Mar 11, 2009
Jerry accepted the award with grace and dignity.
Even the video shown showed this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Bellboy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The Red Shoes' among classic movies in NYC the... (Nov '09) Jul '15 SLIF 21
News Jerry Lewis out as MDA chairman (Sep '11) Sep '11 texastea 2
More from around the web