Civil rights group ousts Vt. leader

Full story: Brattleboro Reformer

The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights has ousted the chairman of its Vermont affiliate over an essay he wrote likening a "Pure Vermont" campaign slogan by the losing gubernatorial candidate to the Nazi leadership's emphasis on pure German ethnicity.
Comments
41 - 54 of 54 Comments Last updated Dec 10, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe Shlabotnik

White River Junction, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Here we go again wrote:
Why is everything so twisted into something harmful? Pure Vermont is a marketing slogan - just that, nothing more - not racist, not oppresive, not an insult. Anyone who has lived her for more than 5 minutes knows that Pure Vermont is about celebrating the Vermont products we produce. Why isn't anything just taken at face value - we are not "out to get" anyone, Mr. Reed.
You are so right. Like Freud said.....sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Watch your Language

Springfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

jack wrote:
<quoted text>
The congressional black caucus
Black caucus.....LOL - I love it when you write in Latin.
jack

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

sports team don't make laws that determine people's worth, future, and educational conditions of a country. Yes, there are different rules for different folks based on the color of your skin, all white country clubs, segregation in schools denying kids of color equal education, blacks targeted by predatory lenders, blacks denied mortgages for being black, black kids being sent to jail for same crimes white kids get a slap on the wrist for, the ninth ward being left to drown by a US President
That's ok you can use the word negro all you want, go ahead it fits with your overall persona. Oh and by the way, just so you know I am white, and white people like you make the rest of us look bad- but hey keep talking, your actually doing a great job showing your true colors I don't even have to point them out anymore they came right through in that last post.
estanson

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

jack wrote:
Yes, there are different rules for different folks based on the color of your skin, all white country clubs, segregation in schools denying kids of color equal education, blacks targeted by predatory lenders, blacks denied mortgages for being black, black kids being sent to jail for same crimes white kids get a slap on the wrist for, the ninth ward being left to drown by a US President
come on with the USDA stuff that came out about not helping the whites...
while she did help the man, the sentiment is clearly out there...

lets be honest...
its on both sides...

I will not be a self hater because of cherry picked and overblown claims like all of those you have set forth...
its a cartoon, not reality...

I dont care if you are black or white...isnt that the point...
but NO...not to oyu...I must be repentful or I am a racist!

Guess what, my peeps came over to this country 1 GENERATION AGO...
but who cares since I am white...and we are all the same right?
I have the world on a platter and I wipe my butt with $100 bills right?

before you accuse me....
Jack and the Beanstalk

Springfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

jack wrote:
sports team don't make laws that determine people's worth, future, and educational conditions of a country. Yes, there are different rules for different folks based on the color of your skin, all white country clubs, segregation in schools denying kids of color equal education, blacks targeted by predatory lenders, blacks denied mortgages for being black, black kids being sent to jail for same crimes white kids get a slap on the wrist for, the ninth ward being left to drown by a US President
That's ok you can use the word negro all you want, go ahead it fits with your overall persona. Oh and by the way, just so you know I am white, and white people like you make the rest of us look bad- but hey keep talking, your actually doing a great job showing your true colors I don't even have to point them out anymore they came right through in that last post.
I'm white too, with a shade of brown and Indian Red - and an equal opportunity hater - and everything you just wrote just screams WAAAAAAAAAA. I hope you think I'm doing a great job too - it's important to me....I really need a guy named "Jack" down in Boston to sarcastically quip his superiority on the subject of racism in a state he doesn't live in. Oh did I mention....WAAAAAAAA. Dry your eyes Jack - so sad.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

As Obama would describe him, "He's just another typical Black man". He's a prejudice stinking commie.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

estanson wrote:
<quoted text>
come on with the USDA stuff that came out about not helping the whites...
while she did help the man, the sentiment is clearly out there...
lets be honest...
its on both sides...
I will not be a self hater because of cherry picked and overblown claims like all of those you have set forth...
its a cartoon, not reality...
I dont care if you are black or white...isnt that the point...
but NO...not to oyu...I must be repentful or I am a racist!
Guess what, my peeps came over to this country 1 GENERATION AGO...
but who cares since I am white...and we are all the same right?
I have the world on a platter and I wipe my butt with $100 bills right?
before you accuse me....
You are clearly stoned on Faux News. That USDA speech was taken so far out of context by conservative propagandists that the meaning was turned 180 degrees. Go back and read the real story.

"It's on both sides"? Are you trying to say that black and white people have been equally victims of racism??? I hope you're not that deluded. That's a typical conservative denial mechanism.

I don't recall when black people enslaved whites, terrorized them with nightriders or hung them from trees for sport, made them sit in back or outside, or denied them all the good jobs and education. But I wouldn't be surprised if Faux News showed all that on TV.

Then there was the phony story about the 'New Black Panther Party', which a lot of white bigots still believe.

And all the old white tea-baggers screaming to have 'their country back.'

Oh, but there's no residual racism! Certainly not in Vermont! See no evil!
Jack and the Beanstalk

Springfield, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
<quoted text>

I don't recall when black people enslaved whites, terrorized them with nightriders or hung them from trees for sport, made them sit in back or outside, or denied them all the good jobs and education.
And I don't recall a time when whites did any of this to the blacks - other than HISTORY BOOKS. Get with the times - it is the 21st Century - reparations have been made....laws abolished...laws created - it's done - over - move on - nothing to see here. This is like the Germanics still whining about Marcus Aurelius in the days of Rome. The ILLEGAL slave trade is still alive and well - and it isn't just blacks afflicted by it. Since you're such a crusader of human rights, maybe you ought to put down the history books and do something constructive for the ones who are effected by it NOW...TODAY...PRESENTLY...you know...put your money where your mouth is.
Anywhere

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's on both sides"? Are you trying to say that black and white people have been equally victims of racism??? I hope you're not that deluded. That's a typical conservative denial mechanism.
Then there was the phony story about the 'New Black Panther Party', which a lot of white bigots still believe. See no evil!
I consider the Duke Lacrosse team rape story, racism. These guys were arrested with no evidence simply because a black girl said she was raped by them. If they hadn't had money to defend themselves, they would all be in jail today. If you feel the New Black Panthers were no story, I guess you wouldn't be opposed to the Klu Klux Clan standing right in front of the door of your voting place with clubs in hand and with no police around to make them move.
estanson

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clearly stoned on Faux News. That USDA speech was taken so far out of context by conservative propagandists that the meaning was turned 180 degrees. Go back and read the real story.
I don't recall when black people enslaved whites, terrorized them with nightriders or hung them from trees for sport, made them sit in back or outside, or denied them all the good jobs and education. But I wouldn't be surprised if Faux News showed all that on TV.
Then there was the phony story about the 'New Black Panther Party', which a lot of white bigots still believe.
And all the old white tea-baggers screaming to have 'their country back.'
Oh, but there's no residual racism! Certainly not in Vermont! See no evil!
first, guess who watches fox...liberals so they can b!tch...
I am on this very liberal paper???

second, I noted the USDA story was overblown by saying the woman at the center did in fact help the man...but it does show the asentiment is out there....the woman discussed the sentiment at a conference on these issues!
In fact, in truth it was a heart warming story of this woman overcoming the exact sentiment I desribe.

Third, I think you need to read real history and not the canned stuff and you would realize that white men have been made slaves etc... but THATS not the point anyway...

a lot of people have been the target...take ITALIANS who very discriminated against and were called wops (with out papers)...but for them, thats HISTORY.
Today, there is a stereotype that italians are criminals...
I am saying its the 21st century...racism exists, it will always exists against EVERYONE...
in short, blacks do not have a monopoly on racism or poverty.
Many of these issues are simply poor issues, not race issues.

Phony stories dont produce charges and CONVICTIONS.

In the end, calling everyone "tea bagger" and referencing "faux news" was never a valid response but if it ever was, its been TWO YEARS of nothing but that....and "BUSH"...
try for a day to comment without those three words so we dont have to hear from you for a day.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Wow, it's sobering to realize how many white people (above) are still out there thinking that a) racism is a thing of the past, or b) it never really happened, or c) everyone is equally guilty and equally targeted.

Every immigrant group after the English has had a rough time in the beginning and been the subject of stereotypes. But if you think anyone besides those of African extraction in this country have been enslaved, systematically terrorized, disenfranchised, and in the present still treated as outsiders, you're living in denial. You - yes YOU - are the racists still hanging on and keeping this issue from fading into the past.
scout

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

liberals are MARXIST.
Anywhere

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
Wow, it's sobering to realize how many white people (above) are still out there thinking that a) racism is a thing of the past, or b) it never really happened, or c) everyone is equally guilty and equally targeted.
Every immigrant group after the English has had a rough time in the beginning and been the subject of stereotypes. But if you think anyone besides those of African extraction in this country have been enslaved, systematically terrorized, disenfranchised, and in the present still treated as outsiders, you're living in denial. You - yes YOU - are the racists still hanging on and keeping this issue from fading into the past.
Actually Curtiss Reed was the person who wrote the original editoral that started this whole discussion. Maybe he is the one living in the past. As for calling people you don't know, racist, my extended family consists of blacks, whites, jews, hispanics, and native Americans. Oh, and of course white Christians. Who is in your family?
estanson

Jericho, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2010

Merry Crispness wrote:
But if you think anyone besides those of African extraction in this country have been enslaved, systematically terrorized, disenfranchised, and in the present still treated as outsiders, you're living in denial..
I honestly think if you di some real research here, you would retract this comment...

no one denies the past...
the question is when is it just HISTORY?
And taking the 21st century in isolation, I would say racism is equal on both sides.

Christians were highly prejudiced against in this country up until JFK and have a history of enslavement...but its HISTORY.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Taken Discussions

Search the Taken Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Liam Neeson new tourism spokesman for Northern ... Mar '14 Carlsbad New Mexico 1
Liam Neeson backing Irish-a (Aug '13) Aug '13 jason norris 6
Liam Neeson celebrates 61st birthday (Jun '13) Aug '13 wellwhoopy 3
Neeson makes appeal for Disappeared (Jun '13) Jun '13 Seamus 2
'Taken 2' takes down 'Argo' in close weekend (Oct '12) Oct '12 teresa 2
'From Paris with Love' review (Feb '12) Feb '12 James 1
Liam Neeson's 'The Grey' takes a bite out of bo... (Feb '12) Feb '12 mureenbabi 1
•••
•••
•••