Civil rights group ousts Vt. leader

Civil rights group ousts Vt. leader

There are 54 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Dec 8, 2010, titled Civil rights group ousts Vt. leader. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights has ousted the chairman of its Vermont affiliate over an essay he wrote likening a "Pure Vermont" campaign slogan by the losing gubernatorial candidate to the Nazi leadership's emphasis on pure German ethnicity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
flat lander

United States

#1 Dec 8, 2010
The only one racist is Curtis Reed. He has been color blind so long in his quest he is off center to judge any thing. His quest is to make a name for himself
The Yankee guy

Walpole, NH

#2 Dec 8, 2010
It's about time someone caught up with this guy . To the far left he has been regarded as a savior !! He has his own issues and cannot hide them !
Edward

Bellows Falls, VT

#3 Dec 8, 2010
To claim that the very name and notion of "purity" is now impure and so defiled as to be unusable, just because the Nazi Party used it, is ridiculous. No word can be safe from such associations. What if we can find some examples of totally vile people using the word "diversity"? If "purity" itself can be too impure, can "diversity" take on connotations which are not diverse at all, which in fact constitute fascist conformity with an ideal, such as the one Mr. Reed espouses?
Anywhere

White Plains, NY

#4 Dec 8, 2010
Mr. Reed is correct. He does have the right of free speech. What he fails to realize that there are consquences and you have to be prepared for that. Personally, I thought his remarks were way off base and made little sense. Probably trying to make sure Shumlin got elected.
TNB

Memphis, TN

#5 Dec 8, 2010
By any chance is this guy related to Curtis the Chicken Man of Putney?
Brattleborian

Herndon, VA

#6 Dec 8, 2010
I say it is about time. Mr. Reed has read into, and made more of, so many words, statements and caricatures since he has become a part of the Brattleboro community that he has actually created devisions within the community that didn't exist prior to his arrival. He needs to understand that just because he places a specific meaning upon a certain word, statement or caricature, that doesn't make it true. I believe the more he makes an issue where there really isn't one, the more he becomes errevalant.

As someone that has a great love for our Constitution, I also believe he has the right to make these statements. But, I also believe with these rights come great responsibility, which is where I feal Mr. Reed has failed.
Merry Crispness

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Dec 8, 2010
I like Curtiss, he's a smart guy & a man of principle. On the "pure Vermont" issue I think he was making a fuss over nothing and I disagree with him about that. Still, the "U.S. Commission on Civil Rights" is dominated 5-2 by conservatives, which is why Curtiss was dismissed from the Vermont State Advisory Committee despite unanimous support for him by his fellow Vermont committee members, who might have simply expressed disagreement with him on this one issue.
widen your scopes

Northampton, MA

#8 Dec 8, 2010
I can't help but think the issue at hand is being skirted. It's true, "pure vermont" would have different meaning to people outside the WASP purview, and Vermont is becoming more diverse. In stead of getting caught up in one man's comments, maybe we should be looking at a broader message.
Vermont DOES have a history of eugenics, and furthermore, a positive discussion about diversity is hardly on the tip of anyone's tounges. And let's start by being more conscious of what can come off as racism. Two Vermont black men with the first name Curtis, they must be related? That's offensive.
Ernest

Brattleboro, VT

#9 Dec 8, 2010
Am I the only white person who gets the heebeegebies when I hear the slogan Pure Vermont? Anybody who has lived in a nationalist environment couldn't help but see the associations with the myriad examples of ethnic cleansing, mass exiling, and eugenics. The essay Reed published did not call Dubie a Nazi, it questioned the use of this loaded terminology in creating a community that is inclusive of everyone. Let's wake up, Vermont!
A hole

Walpole, NH

#10 Dec 8, 2010
PURE VERMONT
lisa

Waterbury, CT

#11 Dec 8, 2010
Ernest wrote:
Am I the only white person who gets the heebeegebies when I hear the slogan Pure Vermont? Anybody who has lived in a nationalist environment couldn't help but see the associations with the myriad examples of ethnic cleansing, mass exiling, and eugenics. The essay Reed published did not call Dubie a Nazi, it questioned the use of this loaded terminology in creating a community that is inclusive of everyone. Let's wake up, Vermont!
I agree with you. The thing that is so frustrating about these posts and vermont in general is that it is a state with a bunch of white people saying, "there's no racism here, how dare you say there is racism." Yet, people of color are not included, asked or considered when making this determination. The reality is is that there are two different vermonts; one for the whites and one for the people of color and let me tell you they are NOT equal. I am so sick of white people saying "we're all good here, no problems, peace man," when none of these white people have ever experienced racism, or have even had a conversation about racism with people of color. Vermont "decided" it was progressive and liberal and inclusive- what they left out in this branding of itself however, is that you only will fit in if you act just like all of us. There is NO ROOM for cultural diversity, no room for differant view points and the end result is a state that is really full of hypocricy.
As far as Dubie's ad. I saw this ad and it was offensive. He used the word pure over and over and his ad consisted of nothing but white people. If you use the word pure, and have an ad with only white people that is not a dog whistle that is an out and out statement that this state was better before it became so brown.
So, all you people that post about how dare someone call out racism in this great state I have news for you this state is backwards, it is the Mississippi of the East. It has racism entrenched in it's culture and it is not welcoming for people of color. When I stop seeing white kids wearing PRide of the South shirts with a picture of a southern plantation owner, maybe I will think differently but, right now this state, and this area has racism permeating its culture. You all need to deal with it, and maybe when you can finally admit it this place will grow, until then it is like the land that time forgot in terms of multi-culturalism, every day is 1975 with no hope of moving forward.
pure loss

Sunapee, NH

#12 Dec 8, 2010
This is a sad day and a big step backwards for civil rights, the first amendment to the United States Constitution and the people of Vermont.
Anywhere

White Plains, NY

#13 Dec 8, 2010
Ernest wrote:
Am I the only white person who gets the heebeegebies when I hear the slogan Pure Vermont? Anybody who has lived in a nationalist environment couldn't help but see the associations with the myriad examples of ethnic cleansing, mass exiling, and eugenics. The essay Reed published did not call Dubie a Nazi, it questioned the use of this loaded terminology in creating a community that is inclusive of everyone. Let's wake up, Vermont!
Boy, Black Friday must have sent you over the edge.
Brattleborian

Herndon, VA

#14 Dec 8, 2010
Here we go again, people making claims that their perception about words, statements or caricatures is a reality, and that whites have never been the victims of racism.

I believe both are false. This isn’t to say that there isn’t racism in Vermont, but I don’t believe it is as widespread as some posters are insinuating it is, and definitely no more than anywhere else in the United States; especially Mississippi. Even though I wish we could completely eradicate racism from society, I believe this is an unrealistic goal. With that said, I do believe our country, and Vermonters, have come a long way in improving on this issue over the last 50 years.

Making the claim the white people can not be the victims of racism is just short sighted and false. I personally have been a victim of racism from the African-American community. Years ago, while serving in the military, I went to the gym to play basketball and, as the only white person there, I ended being the last person selected when dividing up the teams. Was this because I was the least talented player? At the time that would have been unknown since none of them had seen me play. So, more than likely they selected me last because I was white and they didn’t think I could play basedupon my race, which is racism. I didn’t whine, cry foul or complain when this happened. Instead, I just took my place on the team that selected me and played hard. I can tell you that after that one time I was never picked last again.

In reference to the comments about the Pride of the South and the picture of the southern plantation owner being direct representations of the racism that exist, this couldn’t be any further from the truth. Almost 30 years ago I wore the Colonel with pride, and can say that it was never worn, spoken of, or thought of as a symbol of racism. It was only after Mr. Reed brought forward his perception of it that it became an issue. Again, this was his perception, not that of the greater community. I didn’t play during the use of the Pride of the South slogan, but the slogan, from speaking to those that did, was only meant to mean pride of Southern Vermont. This meant that the BUHS teams, primarily the football team, felt they were the best teams from the southern half of the state, which included Rutland, MSJ, MAU and several other schools and was used as a motivator to help them get up for the games against these teams.

Again, both of these issues have been read into way too much. Like the old saying goes, Mr. Reed, and his followers, has been making a mountain out of a mole hill for years, which has done nothing but divide the community.
XXX

Springfield, MA

#15 Dec 8, 2010
a race hustler is fired for being a racist. oh the irony.

Pure Vermont = Racist !!! Huh???

Good riddance Mr Reed.
lisa

Waterbury, CT

#16 Dec 8, 2010
Brattleborian wrote:
Here we go again, people making claims that their perception about words, statements or caricatures is a reality, and that whites have never been the victims of racism.
I believe both are false. This isn’t to say that there isn’t racism in Vermont, but I don’t believe it is as widespread as some posters are insinuating it is, and definitely no more than anywhere else in the United States; especially Mississippi. Even though I wish we could completely eradicate racism from society, I believe this is an unrealistic goal. With that said, I do believe our country, and Vermonters, have come a long way in improving on this issue over the last 50 years.
Making the claim the white people can not be the victims of racism is just short sighted and false. I personally have been a victim of racism from the African-American community. Years ago, while serving in the military, I went to the gym to play basketball and, as the only white person there, I ended being the last person selected when dividing up the teams. Was this because I was the least talented player? At the time that would have been unknown since none of them had seen me play. So, more than likely they selected me last because I was white and they didn’t think I could play basedupon my race, which is racism. I didn’t whine, cry foul or complain when this happened. Instead, I just took my place on the team that selected me and played hard. I can tell you that after that one time I was never picked last again.
In reference to the comments about the Pride of the South and the picture of the southern plantation owner being direct representations of the racism that exist, this couldn’t be any further from the truth. Almost 30 years ago I wore the Colonel with pride, and can say that it was never worn, spoken of, or thought of as a symbol of racism. It was only after Mr. Reed brought forward his perception of it that it became an issue. Again, this was his perception, not that of the greater community. I didn’t play during the use of the Pride of the South slogan, but the slogan, from speaking to those that did, was only meant to mean pride of Southern Vermont. This meant that the BUHS teams, primarily the football team, felt they were the best teams from the southern half of the state, which included Rutland, MSJ, MAU and several other schools and was used as a motivator to help them get up for the games against these teams.
Again, both of these issues have been read into way too much. Like the old saying goes, Mr. Reed, and his followers, has been making a mountain out of a mole hill for years, which has done nothing but divide the community.
Again, it is really easy to say that the colonel was not offensive to people of color because you are white. Did you ever ask a person of color how they felt about that shirt? Did you ever have an honest conversation with a person of color that went to your high school about what it was like then? I have and I tell you what I have not met one person of color that went to BUHS that has not experienced racism-NOT ONE! In fact, I haven't met one person of color here in this area that has not experienced overt racism. So again, please when you are talking about perceptions remember you are white. In terms of your experience with racism unless white people experienced 500 years of slavery, followed by Jim Crow followed by unequal access to education, followed by a bloody, deadly decade fighting for civil rights, followed by today when there are over 900 hate groups in this country (including VT) dedicated to hating people of color then please don't talk to me about racism. You were picked last in a pick-up game of basketball- there's a difference.
estanson

Windsor, VT

#17 Dec 8, 2010
XXX wrote:
a race hustler is fired for being a racist. oh the irony.
the libs are turning cannibalistic and i love it!
Yup

Montpelier, VT

#18 Dec 8, 2010
Anywhere wrote:
Mr. Reed is correct. He does have the right of free speech. What he fails to realize that there are consquences and you have to be prepared for that. Personally, I thought his remarks were way off base and made little sense. Probably trying to make sure Shumlin got elected.
I agree. In America we enjoy the freedom of speech - it is our right. We do not, however, have a right to free speech without consequence.
theman

Peterborough, NH

#19 Dec 8, 2010
Yup wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. In America we enjoy the freedom of speech - it is our right. We do not, however, have a right to free speech without consequence.
I agree. Free speach. You can say it but it might have consequences- Fired by employers for negative statements about teams / business that pay the bills. Yelling fire in a crowded theater, racists hateful comments etc.
Reed can say it, spin his perspectives the way he wants, bit a majority of people, even liberals will not stand for this divisive hatemongering grandstanding. Get a real job Curtis.
Yah Right

Bellows Falls, VT

#20 Dec 8, 2010
lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, it is really easy to say that the colonel was not offensive to people of color because you are white. Did you ever ask a person of color how they felt about that shirt? Did you ever have an honest conversation with a person of color that went to your high school about what it was like then? I have and I tell you what I have not met one person of color that went to BUHS that has not experienced racism-NOT ONE! In fact, I haven't met one person of color here in this area that has not experienced overt racism. So again, please when you are talking about perceptions remember you are white. In terms of your experience with racism unless white people experienced 500 years of slavery, followed by Jim Crow followed by unequal access to education, followed by a bloody, deadly decade fighting for civil rights, followed by today when there are over 900 hate groups in this country (including VT) dedicated to hating people of color then please don't talk to me about racism. You were picked last in a pick-up game of basketball- there's a difference.
Ok, so you don't think that you are overgeneralizing or being racist in your statements about Vermonters?? Sure there is ignorance in Vermont. Why, because we are an extremely white state. We can talk about how diverse we are getting but it's really not true. So Yes, I did ask the one black student in my high school many questions about what he felt. But not because I wanted his "blacK" opinion on an issue. I asked him because I wanted his opinion. There are people who are intolerant and ignorant everywhere, but overall I think Vermonters are pretty good people. Mr. Reed was, and has been on many occasions, over the top. His type of rhetoric does not help promote tolerance or knowledge of each other. It promotes a culture of blaming and divisiveness. It makes people scared to ask questions of each other and to really challenge their ignorance. I do not believe that was Curtis's intentions, however it certainly did help open up a market for his consulting services.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Taken Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Autism More Common When Antidepressants Are Tak... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Friend 1
News 'John Wick' lets Keanu Reeves out of 'The Matrix' (Oct '15) Oct '15 Anna Romanovskaja 1
News Ask Mick LaSalle: Jennifer Aniston in 'Angel Fo... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Noushin 1
News Liam Neeson new tourism spokesman for Northern ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Carlsbad New Mexico 1
News Liam Neeson backing Irish-a (Aug '13) Aug '13 jason norris 6
News Liam Neeson celebrates 61st birthday (Jun '13) Aug '13 wellwhoopy 3
News Neeson makes appeal for Disappeared (Jun '13) Jun '13 Seamus 2
More from around the web