Tagging legendary graffiti artist JA -

Tagging legendary graffiti artist JA -

There are 74 comments on the Newsday story from Oct 8, 2007, titled Tagging legendary graffiti artist JA -. In it, Newsday reports that:

There, at the side of the Long Island Expressway, on a retaining wall of Calvary Cemetery in Woodside, is one of the more significant graffiti tags: JA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ed G

Mount Vernon, NY

#1 Oct 8, 2007
Don't call these guys "artists". Vandal is a more accurate description.
hmmmmmm

Bronx, NY

#2 Oct 8, 2007
...and I'm sure these guys are very diligent about paying their fines...
YEA U GO TAGGERS

Kastamonu, Turkey

#3 Oct 8, 2007
PAINT THE CITY.
Reverend Hal

Huntington, NY

#4 Oct 8, 2007
I'm surprised Reverend Al hasn't condemned these guys as racist.......just wait.
Sinace95

Central Islip, NY

#6 Oct 8, 2007
4get yall JA gets up like no1 believes and i agree wit Ed G we're not artist we're vandals or bombers or as the media likes 2 call us "taggers"
no mas cucarachas

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Oct 8, 2007
It's idiots like this guy, who's approaching middle age (how pathetic) that I have to wait 10 minutes at Home Depot for someone to unlock the cage that the spray paint cans are locked in.
And for some moronic reporter to say that graffiti is a part of mainstream culture, is like saying murder, rape, or any other crime is mainstream because it happens often in certain communities.
CHOP OFF HIS HANDS IF HE GETS CAUGHT AGAIN, AND HIS CAREER IS OVER. GIVE HIM A SLAP ON THE WRIST, AND HE LAUGHS ALL THE WAY TO THE PAINT AISLE!
confused

Milford, CT

#9 Oct 8, 2007
no mas cucarachas wrote:
It's idiots like this guy, who's approaching middle age (how pathetic) that I have to wait 10 minutes at Home Depot for someone to unlock the cage that the spray paint cans are locked in.
And for some moronic reporter to say that graffiti is a part of mainstream culture, is like saying murder, rape, or any other crime is mainstream because it happens often in certain communities.
CHOP OFF HIS HANDS IF HE GETS CAUGHT AGAIN, AND HIS CAREER IS OVER. GIVE HIM A SLAP ON THE WRIST, AND HE LAUGHS ALL THE WAY TO THE PAINT AISLE!
Clearly locking up the spray paint isn't doing anything to deter vandalism.

I think the best way to curb vandalism is to write stories glamorizing the "artists" and making them famous. That will put an end to this and prevent future vandals from getting started.

We should do this for all crimes. "Talented Rape Artist on the Move: Police in awe of his prowess"

Oh wait that makes no sense.... but then again this is Newsday
Tony

Milford, CT

#10 Oct 8, 2007
confused wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly locking up the spray paint isn't doing anything to deter vandalism.
I think the best way to curb vandalism is to write stories glamorizing the "artists" and making them famous. That will put an end to this and prevent future vandals from getting started.
We should do this for all crimes. "Talented Rape Artist on the Move: Police in awe of his prowess"
Oh wait that makes no sense.... but then again this is Newsday
Here's a sneak peek at Wednesdays episode......

One of the more significant 'Murder Artists" of the late 20th century was Joel Rifkin. To him, it was more about murder as a performance act, then it was a crime. Police describe him as "Not that bad of a guy, really"
Rifkin lives happily these days.......
queens

Astoria, NY

#12 Oct 8, 2007
you guys are crazy to compare graffiti to murder, rape or anything of that stature.
COPE2

AOL

#13 Oct 8, 2007
JA IS A TOY ALL HE CAN DO IS TAGS AND FILLINS HE CANT DO A PEICE HES A TOY WHO SMOKES CRACK AND DUST
JAONE

United States

#14 Oct 8, 2007
COPE2 wrote:
JA IS A TOY ALL HE CAN DO IS TAGS AND FILLINS HE CANT DO A PEICE HES A TOY WHO SMOKES CRACK AND DUST
whatever...
confused

Milford, CT

#15 Oct 8, 2007
queens wrote:
you guys are crazy to compare graffiti to murder, rape or anything of that stature.
Umm you didn't get it. The point was that no one would think to praise a rapist for his skill. It would be absolutely insane.
Obviously rape is far worse than vandalism - but no crime should be glamorized in a newspaper.
rocking it suckers

New York, NY

#16 Oct 8, 2007
To quote Warhol, "Art is anything you can get away with."

all the vandalism, graffiti, art haters, and those that write about the laws not being harsh enough really surprise me. America has turned into a country of free expression to a country of oppression. it's no wonder we don't have a problem sending kids over to blow up innocent people daily. Or vote losers into office that start wars for the profit of their friends and business partners. but you all whine about graffiti? get mad about the loss of lives around the world. and then get off your ass and do something. If JA can get you pissed thats good but wrongly directed. At least the man isn't a robot clone at home watching TV, buying crap, working for some exploitive American company that makes their junk in Taiwan or Vietnam. At least he rattles the system even with a simple tag. We need more people to rattle the system.

get angry about real shit. Tags never hurt anyone. The walls on the highway are worthless and ugly anyway.

Lastly, you'll never get real news reading the tabloids.
who cares

Montréal, Canada

#17 Oct 8, 2007
38 and still going... a true legend
I quit after 10 years

AOL

#18 Oct 8, 2007
Graffiti gets you nowhere in life. I'd say 1 in 10 people that write graffiti are good people with real aspirrations. People that don't know about graffiti should read a sociological study or two on the culture to understand its complexity and it's roots. Graffiti writers are ussually just misguided people who could direct their engery else and make a difference in the world. People that don't write graffiti, don't undertsnad how hard and dangerous it is. I don't think they should appreicate graffiti if they are against it, but I do think they should understand how multi-demensional the act of it is.
I quit after 10 years

AOL

#19 Oct 9, 2007
I hope someone who reads this sees some validity in my statement.
in the shoes

Duluth, MN

#20 Oct 9, 2007
ive written graffiti for over 5 years without being caught or anything happening to me. it is a constant rush thinking about it and doing it. there is respect to certain property and there is a high art aspect of the art form. it is an expression although people could say there are better ways of doing it. i dont write out of anger or hatred towards anyone. i do it for myself. its my best guess that most graffiti writers just do it to see it themselves. it's really only something that can be appreciated by someone who does it. its something that has been around forever and will never end. society drives graffiti. society loves it, society hates it.
in the shoes

Duluth, MN

#21 Oct 9, 2007
confused

Milford, CT

#22 Oct 9, 2007
I quit after 10 years wrote:
Graffiti gets you nowhere in life. I'd say 1 in 10 people that write graffiti are good people with real aspirrations. People that don't know about graffiti should read a sociological study or two on the culture to understand its complexity and it's roots. Graffiti writers are ussually just misguided people who could direct their engery else and make a difference in the world. People that don't write graffiti, don't undertsnad how hard and dangerous it is. I don't think they should appreicate graffiti if they are against it, but I do think they should understand how multi-demensional the act of it is.
many kleptomaniacs get a rush from the thrill and danger too - but no one romanticizes that. I understand that there is a subculture involved in graffiti - but that does not make it ok or glamorous to be a vandal. And the danger part - I am sorry but no petty crime is worth getting hit by a train like that boy last year.
jay aye saan

New York, NY

#23 Oct 9, 2007
he's a king thats it-- every tunnel light in manhatten.

now on a more socially concious note. you have to know graff to like it and do graff to love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rocky V Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rest in Peace, Tommy Morrison (Sep '13) Sep '13 Harry Horton 1
News Sage Stallone Funeral To Be Protested By Westbo... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Fed Up 1
News Sylvester Stallone's Son Found Dead At Home (Jul '12) Jul '12 abadapple 2
News Sylvester Stallone's son found dead at Hollywoo... (Jul '12) Jul '12 SHOULD BEEN CHARL... 1
News Top 5 boxing movies of all time (Jan '10) Jan '10 shanmu 1
News 'Rocky' actor Burt Young paints in Port Washing... (Apr '08) May '08 alaa balboa 2
News 'Rocky' actor Burt Young paints in Port Washington (Dec '07) Dec '07 Edmundo de Franca... 5