Movie Review: "Quarantine"

Quarantine is a movie testament to craftsmanship and commitment. The best Blair Witch knockoff of them all is basically a zombie movie seen through the viewfinder of a TV news camera, that "found footage" Blair ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
draike

Temple, TX

#1 Oct 10, 2008
hey i don't know what movie you where seeing but this was not a movie that i would take the time to watch again. the story line was lacking form the start and by the time you reached the climax i had already figured the most part of it out. and the fact that the ending was in the actual trailer to me adds "Quarantine" to my list of most hated films.

granted it at least made me wanna go to the movies ( before i sat through it ) gives the director a small amount of credit, but after watching it takes it back and makes me feel like i was owed for the time i took to watch it.

i think honestly i would have been happier setting through the blair witch project again. at least that had an agenda that could be understood by a 3 year old and didn't involve a government conspericy to cover up the facts.

in the words of the old auditors of movies
two thumbs down and if you don't like it not my fault i tried to tell you...
Trent

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Oct 11, 2008
This movie has barley any story behind it. It makes you want to throw up and is the most un-interesting 2 hours you will ever spend.
Rach

Middletown, CT

#6 Oct 11, 2008
Please, everyone go see the original version of this movie "REC," made in Spain and released in 2004 (I believe). It's AMAZING! Most well-made and scariest horror movie I have ever seen. The American version does not even come close.
SDA SRS

United States

#7 Oct 11, 2008
I hated this movie with a passion though there were seconds here & there that were temp. creepy.The plot was stupid & the camera shaking...even when the news dude was no longer filming it was annoying at best. I knew from the first 15 min. where the movie was taking me & why. It was another lame cloverfield intro...It felt like I was watching the same movie..from the endless helicopters & sirens outside to the unbelievable story. And in reality..keeping in mind this is 2008..if these people were in danger they would've sent in people with guns to destroy the threat..its that simple.Noone ever tried to look for a weapon to defend as they also allowed bitten people to just sit there until they became violent.The ending was horrible from why they even went into the attic as well as the fait of the reporter which they already gave away during the movie trailor. Yes, the scenes were cut well..etc...however, they unfolded too quickly resulting in not being scared..or lacking creativity like in the classic horror stories. This new look & trend in most all movies is keeping me out of the theaters...I suggest people force hollywood to make better movies...ones with less special effects by snubbing theaters.I also hated batman 08' & mirrors. A big issue with me is just not believing what I'm seeing due to special effects..I feel as though I'm watchng an over priced video game...what happened to simplier movies that unfold nicely such as forest gump or fargo..just to name a few..or even the last picture show which I recently viewed again. Trust me, you won't be impressed by this "loud" movie where the extra loud noises are scarier than the so called scary scenes...
draike

Ross, TX

#8 Oct 11, 2008
agreeing with SDA SRS I will have to say that this has become a commen trend in movies. one that i will mention in this statement would have to be "Strangers" which has also entered one of my never watch again lists.
and basically for all the same reasons. and blaming only the directors , producers or screen writers is just idiocrasy... may we take this a step further and also include the people promoting these pictures for giving away only the "Good Scenes". if they would have left out the "Good Scenes" i might have found the most recent movies more interested.
all in all and this is the last time i will deploy my insight on this movie, my wife and i both aggree that this movie does not have the mentality or the actual interest of the advertised audience. they just gave you the movie before you saw it and the whole point in watching it was just to sit there and anticipate fear without any creation of the illusion.
i'm just hoping "Saw V" holds up the integrity of it's predocesors and hold my attention and chills the back of my kneck. if no all hope in our film industry is lost in my opinion
draike

Ross, TX

#9 Oct 11, 2008
draike wrote:
agreeing with SDA SRS I will have to say that this has become a commen trend in movies. one that i will mention in this statement would have to be "Strangers" which has also entered one of my never watch again lists.
and basically for all the same reasons. and blaming only the directors , producers or screen writers is just idiocrasy... may we take this a step further and also include the people promoting these pictures for giving away only the "Good Scenes". if they would have left out the "Good Scenes" i might have found the most recent movies more interested.
all in all and this is the last time i will deploy my insight on this movie, my wife and i both aggree that this movie does not have the mentality or the actual interest of the advertised audience. they just gave you the movie before you saw it and the whole point in watching it was just to sit there and anticipate fear without any creation of the illusion.
i'm just hoping "Saw V" holds up the integrity of it's predocesors and hold my attention and chills the back of my kneck. if no all hope in our film industry is lost in my opinion
and i am from waco tx not bruceville
Eddie

Bradenton, FL

#10 Oct 11, 2008
This review is dead-on accurate. The movie gets a LOT better as it goes on, and as we discover some of the backdrop of the story. The jerky camera work is a bit trying after a while, but when the action picks up, it works.
SandK 311

San Angelo, TX

#11 Oct 11, 2008
A plus! best comedy ever!
Wasteofmoney

Oviedo, FL

#12 Oct 12, 2008
Don't bother watching this movie. Its a waste of like 25 dollars, go watch something else.
Necole

Lawrenceville, GA

#13 Oct 12, 2008
The movie Quarantine was the most horrible movie i've seen in my entire life. From the beginning to the end the movie didn't make much since. Plus the most distracting part of the movie was the star. I really really just wanted to walk into the film and knock her *** out just so the others can take a BIG chuck out of her. If they decide to make another one I will not even watch it on t.v. I will make sure none of my friends or family or any strangers waste their money on this movie. Again this is the worst movie of all times.
Desi

Houston, TX

#14 Oct 12, 2008
omgggggggggggggg i dont normally jump or scream during movies but i did when i seen this movie...it had me scared shitless !
Alisia

Bemidji, MN

#15 Oct 12, 2008
I thought this movie was AWFUL!!!!! This seriously has to be one of the worst movie's I have ever seen in my life! While I was watching this movie I was hoping that one of the "zombies" would come out of the screen and take me out of my misery. STOP making movies in 3rd person and all this camera filming stuff. It's nauseating. No, story line, horrible acting (although probably how most would react) and very predictable. Let's try to be a little more original and come up with some new movies and stop remaking other ones or sequels or whatever.
Rollo

Mcallen, TX

#16 Oct 13, 2008
The original movie [REC], was way better than this movie. It's in spanish, and I think you can view it on youtube. If anybody wants to save some cash, skip the theaters and watch the superior film [REC].
Linda

Lorain, OH

#17 Oct 13, 2008
This was the most nauseating, horrible movie I have ever seen. The camera work, apparently intended to be realistic, made me ill to watch the jerky blurry movements. The story line was apparent from the moment we viewed the frothing at the mouth woman covered in blood. She had rabies! After that, there was no story to it. Just more horrible camera work and nauseating scenes. We left after 45 minutes and ducked into "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" to watch the last half of a delightful Disney movie. It soothed my nerves, made me laugh, and calmed my upset stomach. Yes, I am a grandmother of 67 years of age. I would never knowingly take my child or grand child to see a movie like "Quarantine" What are these producers thinking??
Doug

New York, NY

#18 Oct 13, 2008
Great review of a great movie. Those saying there was no plot or the plot was bad, I couldn't disagree more. It was just a simple plot, but it worked. Those who didn't like Carpenter's performance, again I couldn't disagree more. It was very refreshing to see the star act like a normal person. She was scared out of her mind - it's that simple. And for those saying the plot was awful but Rec was amazing, that just doesn't make sense to me. I liked Rec, but the plot was the same. So it may not have been original, as it was a remake, but if you enjoyed Rec it just doesn't seem to make sense to say Quarantine had a bad plot.

Anyway, I loved the movie and would happily see it again. Great job by Carpenter depicting a real life person in a horrific situation.
Mike

San Jose, CA

#19 Oct 13, 2008
draike wrote:
hey i don't know what movie you where seeing but this was not a movie that i would take the time to watch again. the story line was lacking form the start and by the time you reached the climax i had already figured the most part of it out. and the fact that the ending was in the actual trailer to me adds "Quarantine" to my list of most hated films.
granted it at least made me wanna go to the movies ( before i sat through it ) gives the director a small amount of credit, but after watching it takes it back and makes me feel like i was owed for the time i took to watch it.
i think honestly i would have been happier setting through the blair witch project again. at least that had an agenda that could be understood by a 3 year old and didn't involve a government conspericy to cover up the facts.
in the words of the old auditors of movies
two thumbs down and if you don't like it not my fault i tried to tell you...
I dont know what you were thinking when you saw this film but to put it on your list of most hated and to say that you would rather watch the blair witch project again. It had some really good jump moments in the film unlike the blair witch project. This film for what i can tell was not trying to pass itself off as real. Not sure if you could call it a blair witch knockoff because I am sure that there could a film that was made before that in that style but did not get the same kind of spot light that blair witch did. Then again you are forgetting about that movie called Cloverfield which is more like blair witch with the shaky camera. This one was more on the lines of being shot by a professional camera man. The only part of the movie that seemed a bit unbeleivable was the entire super rabies thing that was going on in the apartment and the man from boston. You never even find out who he is or what happened to him. As far as I know he is into dooms day theories or in a dooms day cult and a scientist at that who was making and testing some sort of super rabies virus to kill humanity or something. I would give this movie 4 out of 5 stars. I take off one star because I don't really like these kinds of movies but this one was way better then Blair witch unlike what draike said about the movie cause obviously he knows nothing about movies. Well draike from my mouth to you if they like it they can say so because not every one has the same taste in movies.
Sven Svenson

Boston, MA

#20 Oct 13, 2008
Absolutely horrible movie. You can check out my link on Yahoo answers to a full review I made of it since I cannot fit the whole thing here (4000 character limit)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
joey29

Seattle, WA

#21 Oct 13, 2008
I thought most of the movie was close to going to a first year acting class in the valley and the following:
argh is shorthand for screams groans etc.
are you ok argh
oh my god argh
blood everywhere oh god no argh
keep filming argh
stop filming argh
everyone stay close argh
don't feel bad if you miss it. 28 days later is 28 times better.
lori and linda

AOL

#22 Oct 17, 2008
a pretty fast paced movie, not much on the plot but very different.

What happened to the credits at the end of the movie? The screen went white and then it was over.

just curious, anyone know why not credits?
classified

United States

#23 Oct 18, 2008
While the movie isn't based entirely on a "true" story, I did encounter a similar situation on the date in question, March 11, but it was in 2006. I'm a Lieutenant with the LAPD and we did have to quarantine an apartment building in North Hollywood when a tenant made a 911 call at 11:58pm that another tenant was acting extremely violent and displaying signs of trauma-induced psychosis. It was later determined that the tenant had contracted an extremely rare form of encephalitis rabies from her pet, and did not contact emergency services until she was in the later stages of the disease (psychosis). The tenant lashed out at and infected a number of tenants that tried helping her, subsequently infecting them as well (although luckily they were able to be vaccinated). The rare type of rabies is often confused with other, far more serious and infectious diseases, and the Governor did authorize martial law to stop the spreading of the disease to the public by any means necessary (and yes, a number of tenants were shot trying to break the quarantine). So although there wasn't any special hidden tape found as the movie proposes, this scenario did happen in North Hollywood and DOES happen about twice a year. Any knowledge of the event was disavowed due to the possibility of a public panic.
3 weeks ago
Source(s):
Lieutenant of the LAPD, first on the scene of the March 11, 2006 quarantine. Information regarding the event is classified "UMBRA" (meaning only those present and government officials that must know the information if it's a threat to national security or continuation of the nation are allowed access to the information).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quarantine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Movie review: The latest from Highland Park's J... (Sep '10) Sep '10 wig 1
Dowdle brothers pair with Shyamalan (Oct '09) Oct '09 Pete Wendell 1
Quarantine (Mar '09) Mar '09 bebe truillio 1
'Chihuahua' bites 'Body' at boxoffice (Oct '08) Oct '08 Roxana correa 2
Things are shaky and sickening in 'Quarantine' (Oct '08) Oct '08 amita 1
Movie review: Quarantine -- 3 out of 5 stars (Oct '08) Oct '08 Moore is an Idiot 1
Quarantine - Hawaii Movie Showtimes (Oct '08) Oct '08 Mike 1
More from around the web