'District 9' crushes box office competition

Aug 17, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CNN

In what feels like a box-office weekend from "The Twilight Zone," a low-budget and critically acclaimed movie with no stars and an unknown director managed to top the charts.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Aug 24, 2009
yamison

Langhorne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 18, 2009
 
Nothing short of SPECTACULAR!

Since: Sep 08

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 19, 2009
 
If this had been directed by a black SAn this film would never have made it to production.

What I do find completely ridiculous is that there has been NO advertising whatsoever in the land of its birth. My guess is some liberal censor decided that the material was "too sensitive". They probably figured it would incite blacks to start burning each other alive again. But you can't censor people's opinions and the fact that in its opening weekend it basically made back all its costs. Also, it opens in SA two weeks after everyone else. Go figure.

I must say though, that the director has a seriously unfair advantage when it comes to material. The "WTF" factor is pretty much standard fair in modern SA. I mean, our state president believes that showering after sex with an HIV+ person is preventative of infection. With regards to this movie, all I can say is, lose the spaceships and replace all references to "prawns" with Zimbabweans and you will pretty much have a very accurate documentary on the heinous crimes perpetrated by black South Africans against Zimbabwean refugees and other SADC citizens last year. If the aliens in this film are not set on fire while still alive, I will be seriously disappointed in the director.
anchorman

Durban, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 19, 2009
 
I hear the alien weapons are awesome. I saw a short clip on Youtube where a guy is blowing the Nigerians away with some fangled contraption. hahaha No doubt there are going to be cries of racism when it opens in SA.

Since: Sep 08

Pretoria, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 19, 2009
 
anchorman wrote:
I hear the alien weapons are awesome. I saw a short clip on Youtube where a guy is blowing the Nigerians away with some fangled contraption. hahaha No doubt there are going to be cries of racism when it opens in SA.
No doubt.
Felix

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 19, 2009
 
milktert wrote:
If this had been directed by a black SAn this film would never have made it to production.
What I do find completely ridiculous is that there has been NO advertising whatsoever in the land of its birth. My guess is some liberal censor decided that the material was "too sensitive". They probably figured it would incite blacks to start burning each other alive again. But you can't censor people's opinions and the fact that in its opening weekend it basically made back all its costs. Also, it opens in SA two weeks after everyone else. Go figure.
I must say though, that the director has a seriously unfair advantage when it comes to material. The "WTF" factor is pretty much standard fair in modern SA. I mean, our state president believes that showering after sex with an HIV+ person is preventative of infection. With regards to this movie, all I can say is, lose the spaceships and replace all references to "prawns" with Zimbabweans and you will pretty much have a very accurate documentary on the heinous crimes perpetrated by black South Africans against Zimbabwean refugees and other SADC citizens last year. If the aliens in this film are not set on fire while still alive, I will be seriously disappointed in the director.
Youre are going to have to post some proof that there is no advertising in your place of birth, ISRAEL.
BA_FOREVER

Riverside, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 19, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

You are fools one and all.Black Avenger has seen this movie and will tell you...yes,it's not bad.I like how it dosent wait for the end to let you know there will be a D10 but tells you right from the beggining(within the first 30 mins)that the whole objective is to relocate the 1 MILLION plus aliens to another area further away from jo burg.(and humans)You see,originally,the ship broke down just above the city of jo burg (or near abouts) and for the first few months everybody was waiting for a hatch to open and these aliens to come out.When that didnt happen they sent people up to the craft and forced their way in.What they found were all these malnourished aliens.(1 million of em)And so they set up a...camp just beneath the ship.But now the aliens are procreating and theres way over 1 million so they want to re locate them to another area far from people (D10)and the whole movie is about this settler going around knocking from door to door to tell the aliens that they are being evicted.The settler becomes infected by some alien "juice" and slowly starts turning into one of them but before this and after he gets infected he takes the vial of alien juice to...some sort of facility or another.The whole idea is that this racist...no...specieist settler who has always disliked the aliens now is forced to BE an alien.(some parallels to how he might have viewed blacks in our times)He works with this REAL alien to get back this self same alien "juice"which in fact can be used to fuel their ship and has taken this alien over 20 years to get just enough of it to fuel his ride back home.(why he waits till it's gone missing to realize this who knows)The alien promises that he'll return in 3 years to get the rest of the aliens and fix the settlers condition.So the movie ends with this one alien (and his son)making it back up to the ship despite all the evil minded settlers and Africans that inadvertently get in the way (the humans have no idea of what this alien is trying to do)and leaving earth to go do...whatever it is they need to do and return to earth for the rest of them which by that time will have all been (or not)relocated to D10.So basically thats the movie.It could have been any country really but they were trying to make a point (the film makers)of showing how hatred and division can overwhelm a society and where better a stage for this then SA? Whats funny is how they portray the black africans relationship to the aliens.There are gangs of nigerians who go into D9 and just totally exploit the aliens for their weaponry.These aliens are addicted to cat food of all things and the nigerians totally take advantage of this.They trade cans of cat food for alien weapons which are biochemically charged.Basically,humans cant use them anyway but the nigerians still want them.This was a stupid aspect of the movie.The nigerians are running D9 and the government dosent do anything about it.An alien refugee camp which nigerian hustlers can have access to?...without reperucussions from the authorities or government? I dont think so. ESPECIALLY when these aliens have such kick azz weapons.D9 would be locked up tighter then a settlers future in SA.It dosent make sense.Why would these highly intelligent beings with high tech weapons allow themselves to be subject to living in a shanty town and be controlled by lesser beings?)Other then that,not a bad flick.This critic gives it 3 and a half stars out of five.

Since: Sep 08

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 20, 2009
 
BA_FOREVER wrote:
You are fools one and all.Black Avenger has seen this movie and will tell you...yes,it's not bad.I like how it dosent wait for the end to let you know there will be a D10 but tells you right from the beggining(within the first 30 mins)that the whole objective is to relocate the 1 MILLION plus aliens to another area further away from jo burg.(and humans)You see,originally,the ship broke down just above the ...
I'm not going to read this as I don't want to spoil the surprise. Suffice to say a low-budget white South African directed, white South African actor headed, white South African conceived, South African located sci-fi is drilling American icon big-budget movies like GI Joe at the box office. Even better is that it's inspired by the black on black violence we saw last year. Best of all is that it's doing all this to spite the liberal scumbags of it's country of birth who obviously decided not promote it here because the material was "too sensitive".
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 20, 2009
 
milktert wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not going to read this as I don't want to spoil the surprise. Suffice to say a low-budget white South African directed, white South African actor headed, white South African conceived, South African located sci-fi is drilling American icon big-budget movies like GI Joe at the box office. Even better is that it's inspired by the black on black violence we saw last year. Best of all is that it's doing all this to spite the liberal scumbags of it's country of birth who obviously decided not promote it here because the material was "too sensitive".
There IS no surprise.The aliens need to be relocated further away from humans.Thats the whole premise of the movie.Why the SA government would use such a dimwit settler to go around and evict the aliens from their shanty dwellings is beyond me.Area 54 is sealed off to EVERYBODY. And theres not even a living alien there (as far as we know)yet we are expected to believe that a camp housing over 1 MILLION extra terrestrials WITH high tech weaponry is an open free zone for nigerian gangsters?? Thats so stupid.If this were at all realistic,humans wouldnt be allowed within 50 miles of D9 and security would be astronomical.Silly settlers are so unrealistic.
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 20, 2009
 
Why the government would even TELL the aliens they are being evicted is ridiculous.In reality,if there were 1 million extra terrestrials breeding like rabbits on earth with the ability to manufacture high tech EXTREMELY lethal weaponry which we cant use or learn how to replicate we would try and destroy them without question.They found all these aliens aboard their ship in a malnourished weakened state.We would have taken one look around the ship and said "WTF? These guys are kick ass.Lets kill all of them while they are weak and leave only a handful (if that) alive so we might learn something." But no,instead they nurse over 1 million highly intelligent extra terrestrial beings back to health and allow them to procreate here on planet earth within stones throw of a major metropolis. DUH!I know you settlers are thick but really.Besides,SA is a black country run by blacks,what are all these settlers doing making decisions?Something this monumental wouldnt even be allowed to be taken control of by SA. America would simply take over the handling of these aliens.We wouldnt leave it up to you imbecils to handle the situation.We would go to war and nuke SA before we let them have 1 million aliens from outter space telling them how to evolve their technology.We would transport them (the ones left alive)to a highly secured secret facility and nobody would hear another thing about them.

Since: Sep 08

Johannesburg, South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 20, 2009
 
BA_FOREVER wrote:
<quoted text>There IS no surprise.The aliens need to be relocated further away from humans.Thats the whole premise of the movie.Why the SA government would use such a dimwit settler to go around and evict the aliens from their shanty dwellings is beyond me.Area 54 is sealed off to EVERYBODY. And theres not even a living alien there (as far as we know)yet we are expected to believe that a camp housing over 1 MILLION extra terrestrials WITH high tech weaponry is an open free zone for nigerian gangsters?? Thats so stupid.If this were at all realistic,humans wouldnt be allowed within 50 miles of D9 and security would be astronomical.Silly settlers are so unrealistic.
Not reading this again.
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 20, 2009
 
milktert wrote:
<quoted text>
Not reading this again.
Two aliens...
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 20, 2009
 
...escape back to their planet...
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 20, 2009
 
...and promise to return in three years...
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 20, 2009
 
...to get the rest and cure the settler...
BA_FOREVER

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 20, 2009
 
...who has been infected with alien DNA and turned into one.

THE END.

Stay tuned for D10 coming to a theater near you in about1-2 years.

Since: Aug 09

East Tulare County, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 24, 2009
 
to be honest i kinda thought i knew it wasnt very realistic but i did think that some aspects were correct. if aliens landed then liberals and activists would be up in arms about how we treat aliens. There would be protests and many would have wanted the aliens to be treated as intelligent beings like the rest of us. in that aspect, i thought the movie nailed peoples reactions right on the head, BUT! is anyone else wondering who was in control of the alien suit that saves wickus???? at first i thought it would be the alien dad but he was in the back of the truck, then the alien son but he was in the space ship. so, how did the suit save him??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••