Tough Times for New Orleans Musicians -

Full story: Newsday
Musicians, instruments strapped to their backs and signs in hand, marched to the French Quarter on Sunday, demanding better wages and asking tourists, music lovers and political leaders not to take them for ... Full Story
BILL DIMATTIA

Baton Rouge, LA

#1 Aug 27, 2007
I am a lifelong resident of Louisiana and have lived in N.O. for a number of years. I was educated there as well. These musicians are a long time part of the culture which was ,at first, seen marching in funerals. Sad music going and happy music returning from the grave site. Most are part time and have other jobs. The good players have regular jobs at nite playing in the clubs and not on the streets. The ones on the street playing for change do this for extra money; most of these are teens who are supported by family. It has been the same for years in that they play as demand goes. When carnival arrives they have lots of work otherwise it is for demand and supply. If they are unhappy with this situation then is time to move on to steady work and the teens need to get their education and get off the streets. Parents in New Orleans should encourage their children to get higher education so that they can get good jobs off the streets. THEY SHOULD NOT EXPECT MORE HANDOUTS FROM THE PEOPLE OF THIS GREAT NATION. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Orleans Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Birthday, Louis Armstrong, Legendary Jazz... (Feb '13) May '13 yessika 4
New $650M terminal planned for New Orleans airport (Apr '13) Apr '13 TLM 1
Louisiana group wants to move Frontier Airlines... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Stanislav Smirnov 3
Louisiana group wants to move Frontier Airlines... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Last thing Fronti... 2
Church's first African-American president empha... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Victor 1
Grammy winner Terri Lyne Carrington spotlights ... (May '12) May '12 Sadira Snape 2
Tulane University's program in Cuba a positive ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Doc Proper 9
More from around the web