Off The Deep End: Citizen filibusters...

Off The Deep End: Citizen filibusters serve no purpose

There are 15 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Oct 28, 2009, titled Off The Deep End: Citizen filibusters serve no purpose. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

In "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," James Stewart plays idealistic and newly appointed Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

Cassandra

Kelseyville, CA

#1 Oct 29, 2009
eye site?
Philip Murphy

Kettleman City, CA

#2 Oct 29, 2009
sweet mother of God katy, this is WAAAY beyond dumb! How the hell would you know what people have been saying at PC meetings for "years" when you've only been here a short time? You ask questions? When? Where? Examples please!
Most of what the city council, BOS and PC do ARE "public hearings", so ANYONE can talk as long as they need to, there are no limits and shouldn't be. It's always up to the chairperson to keep things on track, a good one does and a jerk like gary does it rudely.
Why do you even go to meetings? Half the time you miss the ENTIRE core elements of the issue, and you scribble God-only-knows what in your little notebook for hours yet the result is always the same: slim pickings when it makes it into print-where's the beef/content/journalism?
Donna Christopher

United States

#3 Oct 29, 2009
Didn't think it was possible but this is enough to make a person miss Tiff.
Shagnasty

Kelseyville, CA

#4 Oct 29, 2009
If, as Ms.Sweeney writes, the time limit rule does not apply in a public hearing then the speaker should not limited on time. Staying on-topic is what should be enforced.

What I found MOST interesting was Ms. Sweeney's "Yet, I'm quite certain public speakers didn't change the minds of commissioners....." Why do you suppose that is so?

If the commissioners were not swayed by the public input it wasn't due to the fact that people went on and on saying the same thing they had said in the past. IMHO it was because they had already made up their minds via staff reports and other data. The public hearing was JUST a formality.

Perhaps the article would have been better had author zeroed in on the commissioners and their lack of interest in what the public had to so.
Philip Murphy

Keene, CA

#5 Oct 29, 2009
Donna Christopher wrote:
Didn't think it was possible but this is enough to make a person miss Tiff.
AMEN!

“Used to be"Just Wondering"”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 29, 2009
Shagnasty hit it on the nail head, 99% of the time the council or commission has already made up their minds, the public comments are just a formality the have to go through to avoid the torch and pitchfork carrying peasants wrath.

I do feel sorry for poor Katy, having to sit through all that drivel when she could be home with her cats and watching reruns on the TV. Hang in there Katy, your the new kid on the block now so you get all the "fun" asignments. But in five or ten years your bound to move up the ladder. Perhaps Cynthia will finaly go off the deep end with her ADD or autisum, Gary might be jailed for tax evasion then everyone gets to move up a rung.

Donna & Phil speaking of missing Tiffiany R., what has happened to Dinice Rockenstene? Someone finally manage to drink her under the table or was she hung out to dry?
Donna Christopher

United States

#7 Oct 29, 2009
No idea on that one un-American - vacation perhaps?
Concur Shagnasty, apparently our new intrepid reporter missed the investigative journalism class. It does take a great deal of intestinal fortitude to start looking under the rocks of what passes for leadership in this county.
Jed

Healdsburg, CA

#8 Oct 29, 2009
Hey you can have Tiffany back. Katy, if you're pissing off Donna and Phil, you're no. 1 in my book. Keep up the good work.

“Used to be"Just Wondering"”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 29, 2009
Jed wrote:
Hey you can have Tiffany back. Katy, if you're pissing off Donna and Phil, you're no. 1 in my book. Keep up the good work.
Sorry Jed, no give backs, you got her you keep her.
Donna Christopher

United States

#10 Oct 29, 2009
Yup Jed, no do-overs. And I doubt Phil is pissed off, I know I'm not. Dismayed - perhaps. Disappointed - eh, kinda getting used to that too.
Terry

Healdsburg, CA

#11 Oct 30, 2009
Phil, Donna and Tiff. Like old times. They're definitely equals.
Donna Christopher

United States

#12 Oct 30, 2009
Sorry Terry, neither Phil nor myself got any of that sweet, sweet Rick love (gaaack).
Got it now

United States

#13 Oct 30, 2009
Most don't hear and only understand their own rhetoric so the truth stays with the teller.
ufamea

United States

#14 Oct 31, 2009
filibusters...
I like them all...
The arrogant and control disorderd are the problem.
There are identified genes... rage, anger, thug, bigot... Hatfield McCoy disorder, just one.
Get rid of the thug baboons in the tribe... the baboons become good apes to each other.

But heck... do that here, there will be but few left.
pot head

United States

#15 Oct 31, 2009
ufamea wrote:
filibusters...
I like them all...
The arrogant and control disorderd are the problem.
There are identified genes... rage, anger, thug, bigot... Hatfield McCoy disorder, just one.
Get rid of the thug baboons in the tribe... the baboons become good apes to each other.
But heck... do that here, there will be but few left.
It must feel good to be Grand Poo Paa

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elektra Luxx (Aug '11) Aug '11 -Survival Joe 1
News EXCERPT: 'America By Heart' by Sarah Palin (Dec '10) Dec '10 B-long 11
News City Council election: Letters for Dec. 8 (Dec '09) Dec '09 the dude 2
News Police arrest "bad guy" but get the wrong man (Nov '09) Nov '09 Lopez 1
News Character actor Charles Lane, 102 (Jul '07) Jul '07 Jimmy 1
News Prolific 'Wonderful Life' actor known for crotc... (Jul '07) Jul '07 Maxine Kramer 2
News Character actor Charles Lane dies (Jul '07) Jul '07 Dr Drew 4
More from around the web