Rosario Dawson: It was wild to play a goddess in Percy Jackson & The Olympians

There are 8 comments on the Feb 3, 2010, The Sunday Mail story titled Rosario Dawson: It was wild to play a goddess in Percy Jackson & The Olympians. In it, The Sunday Mail reports that:

SHE is playing the very embodiment of the Earth's fertility, and what hot-blooded male wouldn't want a piece of her? Latina actress Rosario Dawson seems like the perfect choice to play Greek goddess Persephone in a new fantasy adventure, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sunday Mail.

commensense

Independence, MO

#1 Feb 9, 2010
How is a Latina actress the *perfect* choice to play a GREEK goddess? This is unrealistic and an insult to Greek heritage. Google "persephone". The classic images of her did not look like Rosario Dawson. I am outraged at the thought of non-blacks playing blacks, non Native Americans playing Native Americans, etc. It's just not right. And now at a non Greek hijacking the classic tale of the great Persephone. Unbelievable. I'll be teaching my children that she is NOT representative of Persephone. Respect other race's cultures! This is not a celebration of Greek and Roman culture, it is a hijacking and disrespect of it!
commonreality

Woodbridge, VA

#2 Mar 3, 2010
So I suppose you were equally disturbed when blonde Brad Pitt played the part of Achilles in the movie "Troy". Rosario shouldn't be judged on her ethnic background, but rather her ability to play the role and make the audience believe. It's a movie. Get a grip.
ikyb

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jul 9, 2010
Totally disagree for her role as goddess, she is awful, another actress have the perfect features to be a Greek goddess, She is perfect to play the Queen of the Planet of the Apes.
Pixie

Gulfport, MS

#4 Feb 21, 2011
Ummm There are blonde Greeks...They do have a distinctive Mediterranean look but they are a people of all hair colors. There have been descriptions of Red headed an Blonde Greek Goddesses in Edith Hamilton's Mythology.
itstaht

United States

#5 Mar 4, 2011
If you search a goddess on Google, it's a picture who someone painted or drew. No one knows exactly what a goddess looks like, so therefore, anyone can play the role as a goddess, like what kind of imagery do you picture when you hear the word goddess??
cil

United States

#6 Oct 7, 2011
Really? quit trippin its just a damn movie n personally i dont know of many "normal" kids that would look that deeply into the characters and their backgrounds! besides we shouldnt teach our children that a persons ethnicity really matters cause if u focus on that u may as well b a racist!
Manning

Columbia, SC

#7 Oct 25, 2013
commensense wrote:
How is a Latina actress the *perfect* choice to play a GREEK goddess? This is unrealistic and an insult to Greek heritage. Google "persephone". The classic images of her did not look like Rosario Dawson. I am outraged at the thought of non-blacks playing blacks, non Native Americans playing Native Americans, etc. It's just not right. And now at a non Greek hijacking the classic tale of the great Persephone. Unbelievable. I'll be teaching my children that she is NOT representative of Persephone. Respect other race's cultures! This is not a celebration of Greek and Roman culture, it is a hijacking and disrespect of it!
Greek is not a race like black or Native American. Any race can be Greek just like any race can be American. In fact, in Ancient Greece there were non-white Greeks, maybe not Latina, but still. A big example is Cleopatra who was half white half black and yes, she was Greek before she became the Pharaoh of Egypt. Not to mention, Greek gods often change form ... In modern, day what's the problem with one appearing as a latino?

Time to learn the difference between nationality and race.
Manning

Columbia, SC

#8 Oct 25, 2013
commonreality wrote:
So I suppose you were equally disturbed when blonde Brad Pitt played the part of Achilles in the movie "Troy". Rosario shouldn't be judged on her ethnic background, but rather her ability to play the role and make the audience believe. It's a movie. Get a grip.
The other person is a racist who doesn't even know that Greek isn't a race, but a nationality therefore all races can be Greek ... but Greeks could be blond. Achilles is often depicted as blond in old paintings ....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Men in Black II Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Will Smith, rapper to film star (Apr '11) Mar '15 lunawestcoast 3
News Actor Tony Shaloub joins cast of 'Nurse Jackie'... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Margaret 1
News Actress Rosario Dawson cancels talk in El Paso (Mar '14) Mar '14 see the light 3
News Movie star creeper coming to Belmont (Oct '12) Oct '12 Nearby Resident 3
News 'Men in Black 3' takes down 'Avengers' (May '12) May '12 feelgood682 1
News 'Men in Black II,' 'The Red House,' 'Blade of K... (May '12) May '12 feelgood682 2
News Another Wicked Men In Black 3 Movie Poster (Mar '12) Mar '12 whycry laugh 1
More from around the web