Tax-evasion trial for actor Wesley Sn...

Tax-evasion trial for actor Wesley Snipes gets under way in Ocala

There are 60 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 14, 2008, titled Tax-evasion trial for actor Wesley Snipes gets under way in Ocala. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Actor Wesley Snipes prayed with friends and supporters for "favor, fairness and deliverance" today before arriving at the federal courthouse for his trial on tax-evasion charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
big jon

Altamonte Springs, FL

#3 Jan 14, 2008
What a travisty of justice. Why even have a trial and spend the taxpayer money. If you Try to get a tax refund on years you didn't even file a return, To me that is a open and shut case. He should just be taken before a judge and face the music.
Mister H

Apopka, FL

#4 Jan 14, 2008
Maybe he can be Michael Vick's celly.
Confused

Orlando, FL

#5 Jan 14, 2008
First, how do forget to pay taxes for 10 years? He must have thought he got away with it after a few years and that's what continually kept him from paying. Plus, why did it take 10 years to go after him. The IRS wasted no time coming after me for taxes that my former employer owed and were mistakenly reported as mine. Lastly, he chose to live in Ocala and now that he is in trouble he claims he can't get a fair trial there. How convenient for him. I hope he gets whatever is fair and legal and what any non-celebrity would get as punishment or restitution.
Fed Up

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Jan 14, 2008
I wonder if he gave the suggested 10% of the $40 million he made to those he was praying with? Knowing this guy he just tossed on a couple of bucks as they passed the plate.

Since: Jul 07

Orlando, FL

#11 Jan 14, 2008
Do your history. They were sold, beaten and killed by their own people. Were do you think they'd rather be today, here or there?
SJrockman in Cali

Oakland, CA

#12 Jan 14, 2008
ahhh...you southerners.
four comments earlier, a horrible racial rant..and no one comments against..only for.
soooo glad to be in a racially-blended community here in california.

why don't you just call him the 'N' word? i have to believe you guys in the south still use it freely.

we get such a kick out of you folks (all the Bubbas and Cathy Sues) in the south.

“none”

Since: Nov 07

orlando

#13 Jan 14, 2008
Who forgets to pay taxes. What a lame excuse. I'll never watch a movie he's in again. I get so tired of these hollywood people tyring to get out of the punishments they receive for the crimes they commit!Do they think that they are above the law? I say cut them no slack. And before you know it, he'll have Jessie Jackson running to his rescue. When will these people stop crying RACIST every time? This is getting beyond old. And 'XTREBY" that was what.....two, three hundred years ago?! And the civil war was over 100 years ago. It's no longer the sixties. So put a sock in it. I didn't bring anybody over here in chains!!!!!!!!!!
Orlando Resident

Orlando, FL

#14 Jan 14, 2008
Please look at his race. He has to be not Guilty of anything, please release him and get it over with and stop wasting the public money. We are all to feel sorry forever for people from that country, area and race.
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#15 Jan 14, 2008
Sniper you old dog. Take your lump, blame in on you tax adviser and accountant, pay what you own and get out of Ocala as quickly as possible. Go and sin no more.
TSUTROJAN

Eustis, FL

#16 Jan 14, 2008
SJrockman in Cali wrote:
ahhh...you southerners.
four comments earlier, a horrible racial rant..and no one comments against..only for.
why don't you just call him the 'N' word? i have to believe you guys in the south still use it freely.
we get such a kick out of you folks (all the Bubbas and Cathy Sues) in the south.
Actually, the last time I heard the "N-word" it was coming out of a black person's mouth !
While you call Southerners "racist" you seem to have no problem using a stereo-type "Bubba & Cathy Sue".
What's the word for that ???? Oh yea, HYPOCRIT

“none”

orlando

#17 Jan 14, 2008
SJrockman in Cali wrote:
ahhh...you southerners.
Speak for yourself. I get such a big kick ouf all the Gigits and Fabians in California.How do know what we say down here?

“none”

orlando

#20 Jan 14, 2008
TSUTROJAN wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the last time I heard the "N-word" it was coming out of a black person's mouth !
While you call Southerners "racist" you seem to have no problem using a stereo-type "Bubba & Cathy Sue".
What's the word for that ???? Oh yea, HYPOCRIT
You are right on the money!
Racism is Ridiculous

Orlando, FL

#24 Jan 14, 2008
Get Real wrote:
One way or another blacks in this country are destroying it. Can you imagine how much better off America would be if there were no blacks. Violent crime would be slashed in half, welfare would be almost non-existent and we would no longer have to listen to all these racist blacks who are given everything and still want more.
Get a life and get real. Obviously there are both ignorant people and crooks of all races (yourself included). Stop blaming black people for your own problems and shortcomings.

By the way blacks are about 13% of the population in the U.S., but that number will continue to climb as people marry based on love and no skin color and racial lines become more blurred.

Guess who your granddaughter is more likely to bring home for dinner?
depeter

Winter Park, FL

#25 Jan 14, 2008
he's just trying to throw the race stuff in there to distract people from the fact that he cheated on his taxes. and sniper-town, if ocala is so racist, then why do you live there?!

Since: Aug 07

San Antonio, TX

#27 Jan 14, 2008
I wonder just how loud he would screem if all of the money he made in those ten years was taken away, and he went to go to court, I bet he would not say, "can't have the trial here, to much racisum, the KKK is in town". Just think of all of the millions that would go back into taxes, we all could have a tax break!!!!
Amber

Oviedo, FL

#28 Jan 14, 2008
I am in Ocala and feel hurt by Mr Snipes' comments. I do not feel as a whole we are in any way bias to a person's race. As far as his case - Seeing him in association with the others being charged may change my opinion of him but before I know all the facts, A person who makes the money he does does not sit down once a week and balance his checkbook. You have staff that you hire to handle your finances. Yes, in the end, he is the one responsible and held accountable but, did he knowingly do something to defraud the govt? I dont think so. Maybe just a poor judgement and hiring practices or trusting those around you to stay with in the laws..... Just my opinion
John

Hamilton, Canada

#29 Jan 14, 2008
I know why he is using Muhammad Ali, Tom Brokaw, Woody Harrelson, Goldie Hawn, Spike Lee, Diane Sawyer, Paul Simon, Sylvester Stallone and Barbara Walters as witnesses. They all probably listened to the same "tax advisor"....
Jerry

Lynn Haven, FL

#30 Jan 14, 2008
Snipes is lucky his change of venue request didn't have his trial moved to China where the penalty for tax evasion is execution. This guy, along with his attorney Billy Martin, taint the credibility of blacks everywhere. This trial has nothing to do with race. It has to do with a guy who, as a legend in his own mind, thinks he has special privileges that the rest of us mere mortals, black and/or white, do not have; to spend all the money we make without paying the US treasury their share.

Since: Aug 07

San Antonio, TX

#31 Jan 14, 2008
SJrockman in Cali wrote:
ahhh...you southerners.

HA HA HA That is funny, I was thinking the same thing about Calif. with the Sally (Sal), Bobbet (Bobby), Jil (Jim), or what ever the case may be before all of the surgery is done. I guess there are no Spanish speeking there in Calif. Been there a few times thought I was in Mexico, try to find an American street name there.
pat of cocoa

United States

#32 Jan 14, 2008
I want to read about the trail but please stop showing his ugly face

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Major League Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Beaufort native returns to film slasher movie (Aug '12) Aug '12 Dutch Schultz 1
News SWAT ready for '3 Day Test' action scene (Apr '12) Apr '12 nancy 4
News Mr. Baseball Revisited (Apr '12) Apr '12 Kim 1
News Sheen's Halloween Costume? Charlie Sheen (Oct '11) Oct '11 big pimpin 4
News Who Wants to Sign Charlie Sheen Up for Anger Ma... (Jul '11) Aug '11 shuyebmahbub 2
News Sragow Gets Reel: 'Anger Management': Charlie S... (Jul '11) Aug '11 shuyebmahbub 2
News Actor Charlie Sheen Took Steroids During Flimin... (Jun '11) Jul '11 andrea maynard 23
More from around the web