Universal Orlando faces cash squeeze next year if it can't refi...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Movies by director Steven Spielberg have inspired big attractions at Universal Orlando, including Jurassic Park River Adventure in Islands of Adventure.
Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Apr 13, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
doug diggler

Merritt Island, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

They should just shut down Universal Studios (it sucks) and concentrate on Islands of Adventure. Maybe then they can get a decent roller-coaster.
ditch digger

Sanford, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Another one bites the dust
sound byte

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

It's time for a toll increase...
fcat

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

drop the ticket price to 25.00 and they will have to turn people away!!!
Tourista

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Extremely good reporting done for this story, and plenty of space given to telling it. Reminiscent of about 20 years ago, when the paper let its reporters own the story and readers got more than they paid for.
Thank you, Jason.
Talk To Me

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Absolutely great reporting Jason. Where did that come from. You've been holding out on us. Now you're ready for the big time. Don't let it go to your head.

And you won't get the chance to find something on me.

Since: Nov 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

No worries, sounds like an organization ripe for a government bail out!
Will be the next step, government owns the auto industry, the banks and now the entertainment industry!!
Reality Check

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

wow.. the Sentinel just wowed me with its reporting...
malloy

Mount Dora, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

so basically it's the fault of the greedy Spielberg. Ironically he lost a lot of $$ because of another greedy gentleman, a certain Madoff....
louie

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Well...the park is the cheapest attraction in Central Florida-affordable for Florida families unlike the Mouse's parks.
I wish them well and hope that they can ride this out, I know a lot of people that work there and hope they are all able to keep their jobs.
holland

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

HOW BOUT LOWER THE PRICES TO YOUR OVERRATED PARK.
ho hum

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

lots and lots of "ifs" in that article...
Darzzzghhg

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

Tourista wrote:
Extremely good reporting done for this story, and plenty of space given to telling it. Reminiscent of about 20 years ago, when the paper let its reporters own the story and readers got more than they paid for.
Thank you, Jason.
Agreed, worthy of the Wall Street Journal.
Jack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

I think we should give Universal Orlando a GOVERNMENT BAIL OUT and then give their executives FAT BONUSES with tax payer money to Boot. Then they could raise their prices and not have to worry about the present short fall because they'll be funded with debt borrowed from our children's children, just like AIG, Fannie Mae and Fannie Mac! Why not? Everyone else rapes our God damned wallets!
wow

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

got to love when your folks read your stuff
Albi

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

I hope everything works out - the Universal Parks are so much better than the Disney Parks.
Robert Viands

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

Yes, great story, lots of info.

CBS sold off Paramount parks. Cedar Fair was dumb enough to buy them. Now In-Bev wants to sell off the Busch parks. A foreign company screwing up something that was once good, I no longer drink Busch beer.

NBC owns Universal, and they probably don't care about the parks either because it doesn't make them millions like a movie. The bean counters at the top see no profit from the parks, and want them off the balance sheet.

Orlando is not a good tourist city any more when they're top 20 in crime years running, 7th most abandoned city by Forbes, and the city is shrinking.

Karma's a bummer when they're banning 25k people a year telling them to stay away. No one will be left to visit, even with the new coaster and HP land.
Crazy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

The story was well written, but this has been discussed in every quarterly filing for a number of years. It isn't Spielburgs fault, but they will just pay him a bunch of money now to agree not to put his option for another 5 years and make the refinancing possible. Universal continues to raise the ticket prices, layoff a bunch of employees, but still accrue $4.5 million to their top executives in 2008 for the 3 year incentive plan. That is far more than they accrued in 2007 when the Company was doing well.
You know

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

Move the Mummy ride over to Islands of Adventure, then shut down Universal.

Wait, take Jimmy Neutron and that cool Ball Pit throwing room too =)
Bailout

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2009

Give them one. Everyone else gets one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jurassic Park Discussions

Search the Jurassic Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Steven Spielberg 'dinosaur hunter' photo goes v... Jul 13 An Adorable Kitten 8
Beyonce, Clooney, Spielberg: What The Celebs Ar... (Nov '08) Apr '14 Responsibility 14
BBC News - Madonna is highest-earning celebrity (Aug '13) Sep '13 Control 5
Jeff Goldblum Has 'Criminal Intent' - Chris Not... (Jun '08) May '13 Shari 66
Jurassic Park IV: something has survived (and i... (Oct '12) Oct '12 JMD577 1
WTF: Billionaire Rumored to Be Planning Real-Li... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sylvilagus aquaticus 12
'Indepedence Day' fare for July 4th (Jul '12) Jul '12 Justin 1
•••
•••
•••