Their View: Criticism of 'Avatar' mor...

Their View: Criticism of 'Avatar' more interesting than film

There are 8 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jan 27, 2010, titled Their View: Criticism of 'Avatar' more interesting than film. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Somewhere between "Avatar's" first billion-dollar gross and its subsequent $841 million take lie my 10 bucks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Back in the Reagan years

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jan 27, 2010
The French shock film "Hail Mary" (an updated and very blasphemous portrayal of the life of the virgin Mary, which I might add, wasn't even a very good movie cinematically even for the sinners in the crowd) was scheduled to be shown at my college in another state. Some state senators got wind of it and pressured the college to cancel the film's showing, which the college did. Free speech advocates then sued the college and won, so the movie had to be shown.

Normally at my college on a good night maybe 10-15 people would come to any particular movie (sort of like the average night at the Fountain), and this movie wasn't really an unknown even by French standards, so it probably would have drawn even fewer people.

However, thanks to the cancellation and lawsuit, my college ended up showing "Hail Mary" for two weeks (instead of one) to packed houses (the college had to rent a bigger theatre) so that instead of about 50 people seeing it over the course of a week, the really badly made film (I'm talking "Two-land Blacktop" with James Taylor bad) was seen by thousands (probably set an attendance record for my college), and the college even had to pay for security guards to keep order.

Now back to the real story, the war in Afghanistan, about which most Americans know NOTHING. In fact, most Americans couldn't spell Afghanistan or find it on a map if their life depended on it.
LLB

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 27, 2010
Now with all the criticism about this movie, being anti- military and anti-religion - I want to see the movie.

Since: Jun 08

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 27, 2010
"Since when has it been immoral to smoke? Bad for one's health, yes, but immoral?"

I disagree. Not taking care of oneself, is immoral. If married, your wife (husband)and children would be denied a father (mother). If it causes cancer, you short change the health industry and raises insurance premiums. If second hand smoke causes cancer in another person's life, you are morally responsible for this. More examples can be given but you can see, all of our actions can or could have a morally responsibility.
THX 1138

Farmington, NM

#4 Jan 27, 2010
Thomas F Schraad wrote:
"Since when has it been immoral to smoke? Bad for one's health, yes, but immoral?"
I disagree. Not taking care of oneself, is immoral. If married, your wife (husband)and children would be denied a father (mother). If it causes cancer, you short change the health industry and raises insurance premiums. If second hand smoke causes cancer in another person's life, you are morally responsible for this. More examples can be given but you can see, all of our actions can or could have a morally responsibility.
Plus, it stinks up the air.
Atiras

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jan 27, 2010
The immorality in smoking comes from several issues that has to do with tobacco production and consumption.

1. By consuming, there is the risk of second-hand smoke to the people around.
2. Pollution due to the above.
3. Growing tobacco means using resources that could be put to better use.

Other than that.... I agree.... Avatar is Anthropology 101 with the superficious, dumb white man "going native" syndrome.

The other thing I found interesting was now the villains are "corporates" who hire ex-military goons to carry out their dirty jobs. That day is not far off. We will see BP and Chevron waging wars rather than the US Govt.
Mr Bill

Olympia, WA

#6 Jan 28, 2010
Atiras wrote:
The immorality in smoking comes from several issues that has to do with tobacco production and consumption.
1. By consuming, there is the risk of second-hand smoke to the people around.
2. Pollution due to the above.
3. Growing tobacco means using resources that could be put to better use.
Other than that.... I agree.... Avatar is Anthropology 101 with the superficious, dumb white man "going native" syndrome.
The other thing I found interesting was now the villains are "corporates" who hire ex-military goons to carry out their dirty jobs. That day is not far off. We will see BP and Chevron waging wars rather than the US Govt.
Given the axiom "6 degrees of seperation" aren't we all a little immoral? Corporations wage war daily in under-developed countries and as far as BP and Chevron, is your life "petro" free?
Maryanne

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 28, 2010
It's a movie people!!! Get over all of this over analyzing! Sit down, shove some popcorn in your face, and watch it. Who cares about the hidden agendas and meanings of the film. It is a product of Hollywood. Enjoy it or don't.
Del

Rio Rancho, NM

#8 Jan 28, 2010
Truly amazing how a movie can get responses from religions, ecologists, politicians, pundits and others; each with their own interpretation of the dark, evil, underlying messages buried in the saga on screen. Is it possible the producers and director just wanted to make a movie that would entertain millions, makes millions and possibly win an award or two?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jurassic Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Industrial Light & Magic's 40 Year History Cele... May '15 Marvin 1
News Spielberg + New Footage in 'Jurassic World: An ... May '15 Marvin 1
News Jeff Goldbluma s bizarre new lightbulb ad (Sep '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 7
News Steven Spielberg 'dinosaur hunter' photo goes v... (Jul '14) Jul '14 An Adorable Kitten 8
News Beyonce, Clooney, Spielberg: What The Celebs Ar... (Nov '08) Apr '14 Responsibility 14
News BBC News - Madonna is highest-earning celebrity (Aug '13) Sep '13 Control 5
News Jeff Goldblum Has 'Criminal Intent' - Chris Not... (Jun '08) May '13 Shari 66
More from around the web