'Ghost' of W.C. Fields is in the hous...

'Ghost' of W.C. Fields is in the house, says owner

There are 13 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Oct 29, 2010, titled 'Ghost' of W.C. Fields is in the house, says owner. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

The backyard at the Encino home once lived in by W.C. Fields. The deadpan comedian W.C. Fields was fresh off the movie "It's a Gift" when he leased a secluded Spanish-style estate for $300 a month on 6 acres of orange groves in Encino.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

runningman55

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Oct 29, 2010
And this is newsworthy why?? A dentist spending a boatload of money on his old house and telling people that it is haunted. The only thing it is hanuted with is a vapid family.

Since: May 09

Cerritos, CA

#2 Oct 29, 2010
Lisa Helfend Meyer is a long time family law attorney in Los Angeles. Funny none of that got mentioned.
Spirit

Pasadena, CA

#3 Oct 29, 2010
runningman55 wrote:
And this is newsworthy why?? A dentist spending a boatload of money on his old house and telling people that it is haunted. The only thing it is hanuted with is a vapid family.
So you morons don't believe in ghosts?
Chickadee

Lakewood, CA

#5 Oct 29, 2010
Would have made much more sense for the PT to do a story about WC Field's home in Long Beach on Ocean Blvd. But that would have been too sensical.
Boo

United States

#6 Oct 29, 2010
......and don't forget the Queen Mary.

It's haunted with rust!
Dr Harriet Fields

Washington, DC

#7 Oct 30, 2010
For the facts and "truthiness" about the Icon of American Culture and Humor, as the Librarian of Congress said to me about his fellow Philadelphian, do visit the Official W.C. Fields Web site www.wcfields.com

The pictures in this article do capture the truth of the gentleness, elegance, intelligence, and sweetness in my grandfather's being, eyes, and carriage.

Best wishes to all,
Dr. Harriet A. Fields
granddaughter; Vice-president, W.C. Fields Productions, Inc.
www.wcfields.com
Big Fan

Lakewood, CA

#8 Oct 30, 2010
Dr Harriet Fields wrote:
For the facts and "truthiness" about the Icon of American Culture and Humor, as the Librarian of Congress said to me about his fellow Philadelphian, do visit the Official W.C. Fields Web site www.wcfields.com
The pictures in this article do capture the truth of the gentleness, elegance, intelligence, and sweetness in my grandfather's being, eyes, and carriage.
Best wishes to all,
Dr. Harriet A. Fields
granddaughter; Vice-president, W.C. Fields Productions, Inc.
www.wcfields.com
Your grandfather was incredibly talented and I just wish more people could be exposed to his genius today. I've shown my kids his movies and clips and they get his subtle humor which is so far above today's filth tha goes for cheap laughs.
honu

Long Beach, CA

#9 Oct 30, 2010
My favorite W.C. line has to be... "Get away from me kid, ya draw flies".

How many politicians could that sentiment be applied to?
Howard Prouty

Leesburg, VA

#10 Nov 1, 2010
Chickadee wrote:
Would have made much more sense for the PT to do a story about WC Field's home in Long Beach on Ocean Blvd. But that would have been too sensical.
I know that house ("Weathering Heights") has been referenced as a one-time Fields residence in a Long Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau press release and in a few magazine articles, but I've been all through Fields's personal papers and have never seen a shred of evidence that he lived in Long Beach at any time, let alone owned a house there. Through documents in his own files, I've been able to establish an unbroken timeline which accounts for all his homes in Southern California from the late 1920s through the time of his death. I'll be happy to learn of any actual evidence you might have with respect to this house, but until then I'll regard it as just another of the "(Blank) lived here" myths that I was quoted about in the article.(You can email me if you'd like at [email protected])
Chickadee

Lakewood, CA

#11 Nov 1, 2010
Howard Prouty wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that house ("Weathering Heights") has been referenced as a one-time Fields residence in a Long Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau press release and in a few magazine articles, but I've been all through Fields's personal papers and have never seen a shred of evidence that he lived in Long Beach at any time, let alone owned a house there. Through documents in his own files, I've been able to establish an unbroken timeline which accounts for all his homes in Southern California from the late 1920s through the time of his death. I'll be happy to learn of any actual evidence you might have with respect to this house, but until then I'll regard it as just another of the "(Blank) lived here" myths that I was quoted about in the article.(You can email me if you'd like at [email protected])
I don't have any evidence, just have read it in several articles. I hope it's true as I love WC Fields and think it is cool to have a LB connection. I wish the PT would contact the current owners to see if they have any records. BTW, my favorite line is when he keeps getting asked if he knows Carl LaFong and he responds that he doesn't know him and if he did he wouldn't admit it!(Only funny when you see and hear him deliver the line!)
Howard Prouty

Leesburg, VA

#12 Nov 2, 2010
Chickadee wrote:
<quoted text> I don't have any evidence, just have read it in several articles. I hope it's true as I love WC Fields and think it is cool to have a LB connection. I wish the PT would contact the current owners to see if they have any records. BTW, my favorite line is when he keeps getting asked if he knows Carl LaFong and he responds that he doesn't know him and if he did he wouldn't admit it!(Only funny when you see and hear him deliver the line!)
"No, I don't know Carl LaFong, Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g!" (My favorite line, too!)

Thanks for the response, Chickadee. Further to the house issue, I found another article online (on the Long Beach Heritage website) about the development of Bluff Park, that states that that SAME HOUSE was "where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard began their long affair." In my opinion, that's an even more ridiculous claim than the "Fields lived here" idea -- and further proof that just because you read something somewhere doesn't make it so!

Since: May 09

Huntington Beach, CA

#13 Nov 2, 2010
Howard Prouty wrote:
<quoted text>
"No, I don't know Carl LaFong, Capital L, small a, Capital F, small o, small n, small g!" (My favorite line, too!)
Thanks for the response, Chickadee. Further to the house issue, I found another article online (on the Long Beach Heritage website) about the development of Bluff Park, that states that that SAME HOUSE was "where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard began their long affair." In my opinion, that's an even more ridiculous claim than the "Fields lived here" idea -- and further proof that just because you read something somewhere doesn't make it so!
Well heck, that's quite the house.

"Coming soon on the next episode of "If These Walls Could Talk"......
Chickadee

Lakewood, CA

#14 Nov 2, 2010
Howard Prouty wrote:
<quoted text>
Next you are going to tell me that it is NOT the house that landed on the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

It's a Gift Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does W.C. Fields' ghost haunt screen legend's E... (Oct '10) Jun '11 whipsnade 10
More from around the web