A Lovely Tour

A Lovely Tour

There are 7 comments on the The Post-Journal, Jamestown New York story from Aug 4, 2008, titled A Lovely Tour. In it, The Post-Journal, Jamestown New York reports that:

For a guy who was born and raised in Jamestown, the name Lucille Ball has always been commonplace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post-Journal, Jamestown New York.

Bill Rapaport

Lockport, NY

#1 Aug 4, 2008
Dear Mr. Rizzuto:

I enjoyed your article on the Lucytown tour that you took. I, too, love Lucy--so much so, that my wife and I purchased and restored Lucy's childhood home in Celoron; we also own the former Jones Bakery building downtown, which we once planned to donate to the Lucy-Desi Center, in happier days.

You say you visited the Celoron home on the tour, but, unfortunately, if you took the tour this weekend, you didn't even stop there. In the past, the tour buses used to stop there so that visitors could take photos. But this year, Ric Wyman apparently instructed the drivers to whiz right on by so that the tourists would not be able to memorize the website advertised on the house: http://www.savelucydesicenter.org

I urge you to visit that site to learn why the Rapaport family is no longer affiliated with the Center and why so many Jamestown-area residents who used to work or voluteer there no longer do so.

I also urge you to learn more about the Board of Directors. As you no doubt know from your colleague Patrick Fanelli's article some months ago, the Arnaz family (as well as Wanda Clark and my wife) resigned from the board. Did you (or Mr. Fanelli) also know that Eric Coulter resigned shortly thereafter? And did you know that Melody Thomas Scott also resigned--last month, as I understand--for much the same reasons that the others did: disagreements with Ric Wyman over the proper direction and oversight of the Center. As the website above will clarify, we believe that Wyman suffers from what is known as "Founder's Syndrome". Read the website. Do some digging.

Please don't whitewash the controversy that threatens one of Jamestown's most important cultural institutions.

Since: Jun 08

Endicott, NY

#2 Aug 5, 2008
Ohhh Mr. Rapaport the people of Jamestown should kiss your feet for all that you and your wife have done..... WHATEVER..... can we please remember who has made L/D what it is today? I don't know Mr. Wyman personally, however I do know that L/D is his life and his "baby." All the money you donate wouldn't make a difference if Ric didn't have heart to put it to good use. As far as not seeing your renevated home, ohhh welllll! You treat someone like crap and they are going to treat you the same. I have been on the savelucydesicenter.org and see what kind of garbage people behind screen names have to say. If I was made the topic of a personal attack as Mr. Wyman has been I would be sour as well.
Ohhh and for the record.... I can't stand the whole Lucy/Desi days... The best part of this year was Wilmer coming to town. He is what the festivle needs.... YOUNG BLOOD. Not the same old geriatric patients that once rode in a limo with Lucy... At least Ric had the common sense to realize that.

Rochester, NY

#3 Sep 11, 2008
Oh Wow makes a point, I wonder what it is. Kiss the feet of Mr Rapaport, or dis him?
Frankly, I'd be honestly interested in the welfare of an organization I donated three quarters of a million to, I'd consider it 'my baby'. I think that all the people who have worked for and supported the museum might think of it as 'their baby'.
Yes, Mr Wyman made the museum what it is today, and that is the issue. It stopped being a learning institution, and started to be mostly a personal gratification/profit taking situation, but what would you expect from a person whose sole qualification is that he collects, and profits from, memorabilia?
It was envisioned as a place for humor, and is now a place of ugly politics. As I have read time and again, there is no laughter at Lucy Ball's place anymore.
That in itself was enough to encourage Lucy's kids to leave the board. Wyman is the anti-Lucy. Wyman walks into a room, and it fill with peals of tears.
I have a suggestion as to what Mr Oh Wow can do with his young blood, but Lucy would not like it. I suggest the institution find a qualified, experienced (and perhaps 'geriatric') professional to run it's affairs as an institute for the benefit of the public.

Little Genesee, NY

#4 Sep 12, 2008
Bill Rapaport wrote:
Please don't whitewash the controversy that threatens one of Jamestown's most important cultural institutions.
"Most important cultural institutions"?What a crock.........what this sounds to me is a bunch of spoiled children arguing over who's more important to Lucy. Me, me, me, me. I'm not pretending to know the situation, but Wyman was there from the start when it was truly a joke. And, as soon as the festival started gaining alot of press nationally, all the big people with deep pockets got involved. All I know is that if you want to paint a true portrait, ask some of the real old timers around town. My dad knew her and told us kids numerous stories. But, that's not important, everybody needs to go to their corner, think about how childish they've been acting.

Jamestown, NY

#5 Sep 12, 2008
I just read on another site that Wyman was walked out of the center today by security & is no longer employed there...something about a lawsuit by Lucie.....wondering if it is true??
Seeking Wyman

Chicago, IL

#6 Oct 4, 2008
Wyman, the alleged granddaughter is looking to speak with you. Please feel free to contact them at www.myspace.ca ssandriac

Thank you.

Ms. Irving

United States

#7 Jan 10, 2009
All this Lucy/Desi drama is worse than a soap opera. I could care less about anything to do with Lucy. It makes no difference in my property tax bill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

I Love Lucy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On its 65th anniversary, 8 things to know about... Oct 21 AnonymousHelper 1
News It's Lucille Ball's Birthday: She Supported Gay... Aug '16 Fa-Foxy 1
News Woman Says She's Secret Granddaughter of Lucill... (Sep '08) Jan '16 joe 13
News Western NY village wants to give its Lucille Ba... (Apr '15) Apr '15 test 13
News Vivian Vance's Hometown Pays Tribute With 100th... (Jul '09) May '14 Cherryvale squatter 11
News CBS Wins Weekly Ratings Crown With 'I Love Lucy' (Dec '13) Dec '13 Old Sam 1
News 'Lucy' special puts colorization back in spotlight (Dec '13) Dec '13 PORT GARDNER BAY ... 1
More from around the web