Woman out to prove kinship to Lucy and Desi

Full story: Stamford Advocate

Cassandria Carlson avoided watching episodes of "I Love Lucy" up until a few years ago, when she fell asleep on the couch and woke up to a rerun.
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Nov 4, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Far Fetched

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

This is a wild fantasy. That couple struggled to become pregnant for years, why give away a baby after trying so long? "Oops changed our minds?" Her claim a baby would "get in the way of Lucy's career" is insane. She could have hired a nanny like all the other Hollywood stars.

Like that guy last month in the paper, who swore he was a missing boy from the 1950's because "he looked like the kid" and "never fit in with his family." DNA proved him living in a fantasy world and having mental problems. His parents were his REAL parents, they did not adopt him! He simply didn't like them and wanted to find a link to some other family, even though DNA proved him wrong.

Countless other lonely people claim to be linked to royalty, political bigwigs, famous Indian Chiefs, or other Hollywood stars. They claim to be a secret love child or adopted. Happens every year.

It sucks when we realize there is nothing famous or royal in our family. It's sad, however, when people don't accept that and start making up a fantasy world to try and feel important and special.

And of course, there is the claims to money behind most of this, as was noted in the article. If it was truly about family connections, money would not be an issue. Adopted children do NOT go about seeking their birth parents to hit them up for money!

Instead of making claims, this woman should see a counselor to find out what desparate longing and depression caused this sad delusion. She can then work through her problems, and find REAL purpose in her life, such as volunteering or charity work, instead of trying to leech off a celebrity fantasy world.

As for any "physical resemblance" people see what they want to see. Our friend adopted a little girl from Russia years ago, and it's funny how people who didn't know she was adopted said "She has your eyes and smile!" and "Oh she looks just like her mother!" Even though the mother is Irish and the baby was from Russia. They look for similarities. It's human nature.
I believe her

Old Bridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

For NB Cali

Old Bridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

How are you Newport Beach this morning?
It's nice to see the Regional news in CT reached you on the West Coast so early in your AM. I have suspicions.

Your comment rings very familiar to a scathing email that was received in May of 2004.

Care to talk? I would love to speak with you. You are obviously a person close to this situation as I am.:)

Email address? If you look on the forum my email address is my name (that I am sure you know) followed by Yahoo
So Sad

Mansfield Center, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

LuLu do the right thing and let her DNA be tested along with yours.

How can you forget?
Far Fetched

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

For NB Cali wrote:
How are you Newport Beach this morning?
It's nice to see the Regional news in CT reached you on the West Coast so early in your AM. I have suspicions.
Your comment rings very familiar to a scathing email that was received in May of 2004.
Care to talk? I would love to speak with you. You are obviously a person close to this situation as I am.:)
Email address? If you look on the forum my email address is my name (that I am sure you know) followed by Yahoo
What the HECK are you talking about? I'm sitting in Stamford Connecticut. Just because my internet service provider is based out of California does not mean you have to make up stories about who I am. I have lived in Stamford for 12 years and have never discussed this topic on ANY forum and it's the first time I've seen this article. How rude!
Vox Pop

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Where's Anastasia when you need her?
Aaron

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Sam wrote:
Lucy and Desi have a son and a daughter.
So wouldn't it be a simple thing to DNA Lucy and Desi Jr. to either send this sorry soul on her way or possibly confirm her claim? But, as often happens with these things, the known relatives refuse to submit to a DNA test and end up keeping the claimant in the news for months to come.
I support Cassi AND Julia

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

How can I get in touch with Cassi? She and I were in touch at one time and I lost connection. For the record, yes I do believe Cassi, and yes I do support Julia as well.
fan

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Aaron wrote:
<quoted text>
So wouldn't it be a simple thing to DNA Lucy and Desi Jr. to either send this sorry soul on her way or possibly confirm her claim? But, as often happens with these things, the known relatives refuse to submit to a DNA test and end up keeping the claimant in the news for months to come.
why should famous people be forced to give dna every time someone makes a claim? if they do it for her, why not everyone else who wants to be related? lisa marie presley would have her blood drawn every week. this woman makes all kinds of outrageous claims against this family and then wants them to help her?
fan

Bristol, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Vox Pop wrote:
Where's Anastasia when you need her?
yeah,right. her dna test confirmed that she was a polish cleaning woman and not the czar's daughter. even so many people chose to believe that she was miraculously rescued from the massacre.

ms. carlson, dear, you have to know that your mother's life was worthwhile. the very fact that you are on the earth right now is proof of that. she loved you enough to give you life so you should embrace that. you don't have to be rich, powerful, famous or have a fan club to have a worthwhile life. billions of people all over the world live worthwhile lives even tho no one will ever know who they are.
This Is Not News

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Why are you posting this story as if it's news? This story broke a year ago. The woman (who says her mother bore a striking resemblance to Desi Arnaz), after getting nowhere with her claims Lucille Ball was her grandmother, claimed late last year she was pregnant and would not continue to pursue this matter until after her baby was born. Well the baby arrived months ago and we still haven't heard a peep from her. Perhaps the real reason we haven't heard from her is because what she's claiming is bogus.
Something that has never been explained in this absurd story is how a baby would have interrupted Lucille Ball's career. It was very common in those days for actresses to hire nannies to help raise their kids. Some of what was written last year, trying to explain the reasons, is that Lucille Ball gave up the baby to avoid scandal. What scandal? She and Desi had been married seven years at that point? Since when is it scandalous for a married woman to have a baby, especially a baby that looks like the husband?
For Shea

Old Bridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

I support Cassi AND Julia wrote:
How can I get in touch with Cassi? She and I were in touch at one time and I lost connection. For the record, yes I do believe Cassi, and yes I do support Julia as well.
Hi Dear...I will contact you :) I know you support us both and thank you for your continued support. I am in CT now. I will reach out after I get through the interviews.
Mike from Stamford

North Brunswick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

This Is Not News wrote:
Why are you posting this story as if it's news? This story broke a year ago. The woman (who says her mother bore a striking resemblance to Desi Arnaz), after getting nowhere with her claims Lucille Ball was her grandmother, claimed late last year she was pregnant and would not continue to pursue this matter until after her baby was born. Well the baby arrived months ago and we still haven't heard a peep from her. Perhaps the real reason we haven't heard from her is because what she's claiming is bogus.
Something that has never been explained in this absurd story is how a baby would have interrupted Lucille Ball's career. It was very common in those days for actresses to hire nannies to help raise their kids. Some of what was written last year, trying to explain the reasons, is that Lucille Ball gave up the baby to avoid scandal. What scandal? She and Desi had been married seven years at that point? Since when is it scandalous for a married woman to have a baby, especially a baby that looks like the husband?
Good points about the "scandal" aspect. It just doesn't add up. Should she've been single at the time, then you've got a reason for giving the child away. Otherwise, I don't see it....
Sam

Oakville, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

Aaron wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Let Lucy and Desi Jr. take the tests, which would sent this liar to jail.
Aaron

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

One swab off the inside of one's cheek could provide enough DNA for a hundred tests. Dispelling a claim once and for all often saves the celebrity a lot of time and possible bad publicity. Logic seems to dictate a married celebrity couple with two children would not give the third (if that's the sequence) away, unless the marriage had gone so far south that another child would have complicated things. Anyway, it is Lucy and Desi Jr's choice; let's hope this "15 minutes of being a celebrity relative" does not make TOO much money for this sadly insecure woman.
Arnaz Family Tree

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

"A breakthrough in Carlson's quest appeared to have been reached last year, when she said Julia Arnaz, the out-of-wedlock daughter of Desi Arnaz Jr., agreed to provide a DNA sample. Arnaz was raised in Stamford and lives in Milford."

I worked with Julia's mother at Pitney Bowes in Stamford, CT in the late 1980s. I remember her trying to prove at the time that Desi, Jr. was the father of her daughter, and I read that after she left PB, she finally proved her quest as Desi, Jr. did submit to DNA and it was proven he WAS Julia's father.

It's also been proven that Desi, Jr. is also the father of one of Patty Duke's children from an affair thay had in the 70s.

As fas as this girl being the granddaughter of Lucy and Desi, it could be cleared up so easily, and to drag this out can be really harmful to all. So what if she does turn out to be the granddaughter? I suspect there wouldn't be all that much monetary gain. The leftover Lucy/Desi fortune is not what everyone thinks it is. If she is "true blood" then some settlement could be reached, I'm sure.

Sounds as though the answers are not all that urgent if she began looking into this more than a year ago.

Everybody is desperate for money, and if this is just a ploy, then that too can be resolved with DNA. Do it and get it OVER WITH!
This Is Not News

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

You're correct that Julia proved to be Desi Jr's daughter. There may be more to that story than we know, though, as Desi Jr. was underage at the time and her mother, Susan, was not, which might have led to serious consequences for her at the time. As for Patty Duke's son, actually that DNA test proved Desi Jr. is NOT his son. Sean Astin was actually fathered by a man Duke was married to very briefly. But for many years, Desi Jr. believed he was Sean's father and, to this day, remains involved in his life. Regarding Cassandria's request for a DNA sample, one thing to keep in mind is Desi Sr. did have a reputation for fooling around. If Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. submit to a test now, it may open the floodgates for endless claims of paternity by Desi Sr.
This Is Not News

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Judged:

As for her claims her mother was Lucille Ball's daughter:
1) When this story broke in September 2008, it was stated that the child was born in June 1947 and Lucy and Desi gave up the "love child" because Lucy was worried about her image being tarnished. Well by June 1947, Lucy and Desi had been married for six-and-a-half years (!), so she wouldn't have been a "love child." So that explanation for Lucy and Desi giving her up does not hold water.
2) If there was some other reason, like not being able to establish a career because of a baby, well that doesn't make sense, either, because by 1947, Lucy already had a career. She hadn't reached superstar status yet, but she was still considered a star and had no trouble getting movie roles, and was constantly on the radio. And she could have hired a nanny like all other successful married movie actresses!
3) Lucy's film "Her Husband's Affairs" was shot in February and March of 1947, and retakes were shot in early May, just weeks before the alleged birth, which means she would have been very, very pregnant at the time. I've seen that movie and she didn't look pregnant to me!
4) In late May 1947, photographs were taken of her in a bathing suit. She and Desi were seen in Phoenix in April. And in early June, the month she was supposed to be going into labor, she arrived in Princeton, NJ to start rehearsals for "Dream Girl," which went on tour later that month. How is it possible that she got photographed in a bathing suit, gave birth to a child, had time to get up on her feet, learn and rehearse the entire show, then head out on tour to perform it, all in the same month? And nobody ever saw a belly? Her gestation period must have been shorter than a cat's.
5) Lucy and Desi had their church wedding in 1948 at the insistence of Desi's mother, who was convinced they were unable to bear a child because their 1940 marriage was not in a church. So if Lucy had actually had a child in 1947, she would have to have hid the entire pregnancy from Mrs. Arnaz. Desi was very close to his mother and I'm sure she was around a lot (as is typical in latino cultures). It doesn't seem plausible that Delores Arnaz would never have noticed Lucy being pregnant.
6) Then there's the obvious: Lucy wanted desperately to hold her marriage together and have a family with Desi. It's kind of hard to do that if you give the child away. And if she really didn't want a kid, why did she allow herself to get pregnant again in 1950 and, after she miscarried in that pregnancy, get pregnant immediately afterwards with Lucie? And then yet again with Desi Jr? It seems to me they really wanted to have a baby.
7) Lucy and Desi were both so family oriented. Desi struggled to establish a career after his family lost everything in Cuba, and always took care of his mother. When Lucy came to Hollywood in 1933, as soon as she was able, she bought a house and moved her entire family (mother, brother, cousin, grandparents, etc.) from New York to California to live with her. And she always found jobs for her family members, either on her shows, or with her company. If family meant so much to them, how is it possible for them to have given up their own flesh and blood, their first-born child?
to this is not news

Wayne, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

7) Lucy and Desi were both so family oriented. Desi struggled to establish a career after his family lost everything in Cuba, and always took care of his mother. When Lucy came to Hollywood in 1933, as soon as she was able, she bought a house and moved her entire family (mother, brother, cousin, grandparents, etc.) from New York to California to live with her. And she always found jobs for her family members, either on her shows, or with her company. If family meant so much to them, how is it possible for them to have given up their own flesh and blood, their first-born child.
I have to say I know that is not the case for the Arnaz Jr's.
Julia has been through Hell and back w/ them and they know for a fact that she is one of their own.
she has reached out to her aunt Lucie and she has never even wanted to meet Julia once, and her father treats her like a 3 rd cousin, very sad.
As far as Mrs Carlson do not give up.
This is someone who knows the sad truth about poor Julia and her heart breaks and struggles throgh this family. So I say that Mrs Carlson might not be so far off w/ her story.
to this is not news

Wayne, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

Again to this is not news.
Why does Desi Jr treat his step daughter and his unproven son like gold, and his own flesh and blood Julia like garbage ? you better get your facts right. It to me is despicable way to treat any family member. You would think they would be so kind to her, trying to make up for lost time for the hurt that Julia's went through. Again despicable.
Shame on you Lucie Arnaz Jr and Desi Arnaz Jr for treating one of your own that way.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

I Love Lucy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vivian Vance's Hometown Pays Tribute With 100th... (Jul '09) May '14 Cherryvale squatter 11
CBS Wins Weekly Ratings Crown With 'I Love Lucy' (Dec '13) Dec '13 Old Sam 1
'Lucy' special puts colorization back in spotlight (Dec '13) Dec '13 PORT GARDNER BAY ... 1
Fans remember Lucille Ball on her 102 birthday (Aug '13) Aug '13 Brandt 1
Woman Says She's Secret Granddaughter of Lucill... (Sep '08) Mar '13 julia arnaz 12
Loving Lucy on her 100th birthday anniversary (Aug '11) Jul '12 HairyGuy 6
Jessica Simpson - Simpson Planning I Love Lucy ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 melissa_xoxo 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

I Love Lucy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••