Courts unable to keep up with border ...

Courts unable to keep up with border arrests

There are 12 comments on the www.azcentral.com story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Courts unable to keep up with border arrests. In it, www.azcentral.com reports that:

Sean Holstege The Arizona Republic Feb. 20, 2008 12:00 AM The government has started cracking down on illegal border crossers in the Tucson Sector.But limited resources in Arizona's federal-court system are blocking the goal of prosecuting everyone who enters the country illegally.

The Border Patrol has referred 757 cases to authorities since the government began prosecuting illegal crossers in the Tucson area on Jan. 14. Up to 42 are prosecuted daily, and there are plans to prosecute up to 100 cases a day in the busiest human-smuggling area on the border.

But federal courts in Tucson can hold only 60 immigration defendants a day, and even if they could handle the 100-a-day workload, that amounts to prosecuting only 10 percent of those arrested by the Border Patrol.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.azcentral.com.

“You think it is ok, so what!”

Since: Jun 07

The freeway or the water

#1 Feb 20, 2008
excerpt;
Still, officials expect the threat of prosecution and prison time to deter illegal crossers.

The Operation Streamline policy, which has proved effective in the Yuma Sector and two parts of Texas, involves filing charges against nearly everyone caught crossing the border illegally.

Mexican authorities confirm that illegal immigrants have been deterred from crossing into the Yuma Sector by the prospect of spending two weeks to six months in prison for the misdemeanor crime.
Dan

Butler, OH

#2 Feb 20, 2008
Just report deport and not trial.
Tickedoffchick

Enfield, CT

#3 Feb 20, 2008
the 48th ronin wrote:
excerpt;
Still, officials expect the threat of prosecution and prison time to deter illegal crossers.
The Operation Streamline policy, which has proved effective in the Yuma Sector and two parts of Texas, involves filing charges against nearly everyone caught crossing the border illegally.
Mexican authorities confirm that illegal immigrants have been deterred from crossing into the Yuma Sector by the prospect of spending two weeks to six months in prison for the misdemeanor crime.
This policy needs to be adopted throughout the border.

The freeway or the water

#4 Feb 20, 2008
Dan wrote:
Just report deport and not trial.
Operation streamline, which involves charging every illegal with crossing the border inspected and causes them to have to serve a 6 week sentence before they are deported, is in my opinion long over due, make the cost of getting caught at the border MORE than just a ride back to restart the trip.

The freeway or the water

#5 Feb 20, 2008
OH btw as convicted criminals, if they recross the border after being "deported" it is a felony!
Proud to be a Hoosier

Decatur, IL

#6 Feb 20, 2008
Even in the area where they are trying "only one in 10 of those arrested can be prosecuted."

Sheesh, no wonder this is the crime to commit. First you have to get caught, and then there in only a 1 in 10 chance to be prosecuted. Everywhere else your odds are much less.

Wow, this crime really does pay, doesn't it?

What amazes me is that 'reformers' are complaining. I can't believe there is any discussion. This has to be done. Not doing it, is what it costing us so much in so many other ways.

Since: Dec 06

Warrenville, IL

#7 Feb 20, 2008
Why a trial they are not American citizens and do not fall under constitutional law or the amendments. Intent is very explicit in the preamble and specificaly excludes all forgein nationals. Catch deport and if they return shoot to kill and send the body back. It is an act of war to invade another country and fall subject to the same laws of war. The 1 return without harm would be optional and very nice of us to do I do have a kind heart. Sometimes I am just too nice.
Dan

Butler, OH

#10 Feb 20, 2008
the 48th ronin wrote:
OH btw as convicted criminals, if they recross the border after being "deported" it is a felony!
I agree. What also needs to happen is to hammer the pres of Mexico in helping his people.

Since: Oct 07

Irving, TX

#13 Feb 20, 2008
the 48th ronin wrote:
<quoted text>
Operation streamline, which involves charging every illegal with crossing the border inspected and causes them to have to serve a 6 week sentence before they are deported, is in my opinion long over due, make the cost of getting caught at the border MORE than just a ride back to restart the trip.
I agree, they no longer should be able to get out without consequences. It may cost us some in the beginning but establishing a record of their offenses is paramont in applying the law to them. Heck getting caught is such a joke to some of them. I've actually read articles where they turn themselves in to get a free ride home. We forget that what would be an shameful thin to us, is infact a game to them to play the system. Yes, this is long overdue.

Since: Oct 07

Irving, TX

#14 Feb 20, 2008
Did you see this?
Britain seeks to tighten citizenship rules
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx...
World (as of 2/21/2008 7:59 AM)
Disgusted

Anniston, AL

#15 Feb 21, 2008
the 48th ronin wrote:
<quoted text>
Six months on a chain gang and a fine of 10 thousand dollars---collect the fine or take everthing they have except the clothing to cover their private parts then DEPORT THEM.

Spare no expense to ARREST THEM, sending them before a Judge on a production line method and deporting them.

NO BS about the COURTS are over loaded, not enough Border Patrol--as an excuse not to.

Build the Fence the entire length of the Mexican Border and Order the USA Active Duty Military to SECURE our Nations Borders---which is their JOB to do if the CIVIL AUTHORTIES can not do so by Civil Law Enforecement.

IF THE WHOLE MEXICAN BORDER HAS TO BE ONE BIG COURT ROOM and every breathing soul within 50 miles of MEXICAN BORDER Law Emforcement, USA Military and Court Officials---GET THE JOB DONE--- SECURE THE MEXICAN BORDER!!!!!!
YO QUIERO TACO BELL

Idaho Falls, ID

#18 Oct 2, 2009
WELL MR Glenn Dalton, IF THAT WAS THE CASE THE INDIANS WOULD OF SHOT U A LONG TIME AGO!! HA, HA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Homeland Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say what? Social Security data says 6.5M in US ... (Mar '15) Dec '15 private guy 11
News Jorge Puello: not a Lawyer After All (Feb '10) Dec '15 toyama 4
News Prosecutor: Bulger is a sociopath, should get life (Nov '13) Nov '13 elysiamandy 2
News ACLU seeks federal investigation into rights ab... (May '12) May '12 Bull Chit 2
News Wayne County shake-up continues as top Ficano a... (Mar '12) Apr '12 kev r 6
News Bill on Carrying in Government Buildings Passes... (Mar '12) Mar '12 zio- double standard 1
News 9/11 Brings Enhanced Security to US-Canada Border (Oct '11) Mar '12 Fellow Canadian 3
More from around the web