Mentally disabled man finally has fre...

Mentally disabled man finally has freedom back

There are 13 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Apr 3, 2010, titled Mentally disabled man finally has freedom back. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Over and over again, Dolores Gomez heard the same words. "We don't know, ma'am. We don't know what's going on with your son." Gomez was kept in the dark while her 48-year-old mentally disabled son was detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement for more than four years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

Charles

Discovery Bay, CA

#1 Apr 4, 2010
Doesn't the MSM use any common sense? Yes this Gomez guy was a legal permanent resident, in other words he had a grren card.,but his 2004 criminal conviction and subsequent imprisonment made him eligible for deportation. Why ICE did not do its duty and deport him at the time defies common sense. It cost the taxpayer four yeatrs of incaceration costs before he was released. Now he's been released on bond despite the fact that he is a paranoid schizophrenic and has a assault charge on his record. Just who came to the conclusion he wasn't a threat to the community? Now La Raza/ACLU wants to blame his mental condition and his diabetes on the govewrnment. Unreal. Gomez will become another illegal alien on Medicaid which will drive up the costs of Obamcare for absoultely no good reasons.
dlorahdebarge

United States

#2 Apr 4, 2010
Well, now we have more information to consider. If he was arrested in 2004 for assault, he would have been in his early 40s. But if he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at 16 or 17 where did he live? Here or Mexico? Did he file for citizenship before he was arrested or after? A conviction for assault would certainly void his application for citizenship. The mother who reportedly speaks only Spanish and is elderly says personnel at ICE claimed not to know about his case for over 4 years, but when and where was he originally incarcerated? County Jail? West Valley? Didn't she know what was going on then? Certainly she knew he had a mental impairment, how else do we know it began in his adolescence if she wasn't the source of that fact? Did she file for citizenship? Why are they considered "Legal" immigrants? The story says Guillermo was moved to various facilities during his detainment because of his self destructive behavior, and his mental status while detained was evaluated by professionals and treated ...What happened to the first public defender who must have represented him for the assault in 2004? From a humanitarian standpoint, with all things considered you have to know he was better off here than in Mexico.
JoJo

Tujunga, CA

#3 Apr 4, 2010
Why does this story make it sound like he is the victim. What about the person he attacked isnt that the real victim or anyone of us that is certian to be the next victim? I dont know why he wasnt deported, but if he cant be stable in a prison then what can we expect from him on the outside. Why does california have to now pay for his treatment? Lock him back up or deport him.
dlorahdebarge

United States

#4 Apr 4, 2010
JoJo wrote:
Why does this story make it sound like he is the victim. What about the person he attacked isnt that the real victim or anyone of us that is certian to be the next victim? I dont know why he wasnt deported, but if he cant be stable in a prison then what can we expect from him on the outside. Why does california have to now pay for his treatment? Lock him back up or deport him.
If you were dying of cancer we would consider you a victim...if you were born with cerebral palsy we would somehow take pity on you because these diseases are incurable and will eventually kill you. That is the fate of many with certain mental disorders/disabilities and paranoid schizophrenia is one of the saddest, that cannot be cured. The issue is beyond whether he should have been deported...he is too ill...have a heart JoJo.
BEWILDERED

Covina, CA

#5 Apr 4, 2010
You people are ALL a bunch of ignoramuses. No point in my casting pearls before swine.
screw him

Victorville, CA

#6 Apr 4, 2010
He assaulted someone, he should be deported!
I am sure he is a drain on our healthcare and not providing tax money.
Howie Spitshard

San Bernardino, CA

#7 Apr 4, 2010
They released The real Mike C? Someone made a big mistake.
MAN WITH A CLUE

Mentone, CA

#8 Apr 4, 2010
BEWILDERED wrote:
You people are ALL a bunch of ignoramuses. No point in my casting pearls before swine.
I agree! The perpetuation of mass hysteria surrounding the issue of immigration in the U.S. is the same thing that contributed to the execution of millions of Jews in Europe. If such a demagogue were to rise in the U.S. and spew similar propaganda on this issue, we'd be seeing concentration camps all over again, and people like those above would be leading the charge for the executions, and praising the demagogue as a "Man of God."

And since those above are all for the deportation of U.S. citizens to other countries if they're charged with felonies, should that not be the case for whitey as well?

Zeig heil!
Michelle

Daytona Beach, FL

#9 Apr 4, 2010
Why exactly is a paranoid schizophrenic who commits assault allowed to become a "legal" imigrant???? I feel bad for the mother, but our economy wouldn't be what it is if we didn't have the enormous expenses that these imigrants generate. I can only imagine what his legal and medical expenses have cost taxpayers -- although I'm sure the mother is very happy to have her son back, I'm not exactly thrilled that he could end up being my next door neighbor.
screw him

Victorville, CA

#10 Apr 4, 2010
MAN WITH A CLUE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! The perpetuation of mass hysteria surrounding the issue of immigration in the U.S. is the same thing that contributed to the execution of millions of Jews in Europe. If such a demagogue were to rise in the U.S. and spew similar propaganda on this issue, we'd be seeing concentration camps all over again, and people like those above would be leading the charge for the executions, and praising the demagogue as a "Man of God."
And since those above are all for the deportation of U.S. citizens to other countries if they're charged with felonies, should that not be the case for whitey as well?
Zeig heil!
Maybe you need to read the article. He is not a citizen. He has a green card. Since he committed an assault he should be deported. He is just draining resources from the taxpayers. He is a retard with serious health problems, ship him to where he came from.
Ali

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 5, 2010
Had Mr. Sanchez NOT had a mental disability, then his conviction on a criminal charge would have seen him immediately deported. The Sanchez family should be thankful that he's still here and make very, very sure that he doesn't commit any more crimes. He might not be so lucky next time. And by the way, it's not unusual for maturity onset diabetes to occur in a 48-year-old, especially among Hispanics who have a higher incidence of the disease than other groups.
Ali

Washington, DC

#12 Apr 5, 2010
Man with a clue:"I agree! The perpetuation of mass hysteria surrounding the issue of immigration in the U.S. is the same thing that contributed to the execution of millions of Jews in Europe. If such a demagogue were to rise in the U.S. and spew similar propaganda on this issue, we'd be seeing concentration camps all over again, and people like those above would be leading the charge for the executions, and praising the demagogue as a "Man of God."

Zeig heil!"
---------
As long as you're making comparisons with Nazi Germany, how about being accurate. Illegal immigration is more like the Nazi invasion of Poland, than illegal aliens or even immigrants are like persecuted Jews.

Also, the fellow in this story is NOT a U.S. citizen, but a legal permanent resident who got that residency under certain conditions: that he would NOT commit crimes of moral turpitude and that he would NOT become a public charge.
screw him

Victorville, CA

#13 Apr 5, 2010
Ali, stop making this bigger than it is. He broke the law, he should lose his citizenship. He should be deported. He is just a drain on the economy, he is not a productive member of society. Send him home to where he came from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Homeland Security Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Say what? Social Security data says 6.5M in US ... (Mar '15) Dec '15 private guy 11
News Jorge Puello: not a Lawyer After All (Feb '10) Dec '15 toyama 4
News Prosecutor: Bulger is a sociopath, should get life (Nov '13) Nov '13 elysiamandy 2
News ACLU seeks federal investigation into rights ab... (May '12) May '12 Bull Chit 2
News Wayne County shake-up continues as top Ficano a... (Mar '12) Apr '12 kev r 6
News Bill on Carrying in Government Buildings Passes... (Mar '12) Mar '12 zio- double standard 1
News 9/11 Brings Enhanced Security to US-Canada Border (Oct '11) Mar '12 Fellow Canadian 3
More from around the web