Jolie's glow causes a total eclipse o...

Jolie's glow causes a total eclipse of the 'Heart'

There are 28 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 26, 2007, titled Jolie's glow causes a total eclipse of the 'Heart'. In it, Newsday reports that:

The movie "A Mighty Heart," which opened Friday, has been a financial disappointment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
shark

London, UK

#1 Jun 26, 2007
I think you (james) has forgotten something vital in your article. A lot of people around the world (especially female) don't like angelina jolie. We are fascinated by her because she's defiant to what has happened between her, pitt and the american sweet heart. A lot of women think Jolie is a joke! This is the woman who on one hand keeps reminding us she doesn't care what we think of her but on the other is busying with controlling her own image (picking up a stranded paparazzi, boasting about having elephants in her project in Cambodia, talking about how constant traveling makes her an excellent mother, asking to meet her lover's ex wife in a major magazine, employing an intelligent advisor to tell her what to say about world relations. Angelina Jolie is a cunning woman who is fully aware of how to play the media game. One thing she isn't aware of is people who read the trash magazines are educated people who are familiar with how the A listers control their images. I honestly believe Brad Pitt and his new lover have underestimated people altogether. We haven't forgotten how Pitt and Jolie came together in the first place. It doesn't hurt to act like you're sorry.
Stan White

Oxnard, CA

#2 Jun 26, 2007
Maybe Ms. Jolie should do a movie in which she plays the wife of one of the innocent men kidnapped by the U.S. military and taken to the Abu Ghraib Prison to be tortured.
Deb Dunham
#3 Jun 26, 2007
I think you're wrong - Angelina Jolie did a fabulous job with the role as did Dan Futterman - early in the film I forgot the participants were actors and felt as though the story was being told by Marianne and Daniel Pearl. The subject matter just isn't as interesting to most people as an animated penguin on a surfboard - that's the public's loss. It was a magnificent film and is a credit to those involved.
oh please

London, UK

#4 Jun 26, 2007
I'm sure the film is fantastic but the mighty heart should be called the mighty tanked! And the very reason it has tanked is because of Angelina Jolie. It doesn't help to have a famous producer either.
Check this

London, UK

#5 Jun 26, 2007
Angelina is too busy hiring elephants to notice I'm sure, lol. Oh I forgot her new hobby is picking up paparazzi to chat about her fame. Urm what's happened to the tough girl Jolie? Has Brad turned you into a spin doctor?
movie buff

United States

#6 Jun 26, 2007
Jolie- not wrapped too tight
Honesty

South Orange, NJ

#7 Jun 26, 2007
Sad article, sad comments.
The movie made back almost 25% of its cost in the first 3 days in the US. There is no question that it will make a profit and if/when nominated for an Oscar, will make even more money, plus raise the standard of Plan B. Not much of a loss for a movie with a fairly limited built in audience. Comparing it to a kids cartoon or a typical summer comedy/blockbuster aimed at teenage boys is pointless.

As for Angelina - she was doing the whole UN thing way before meeting Pitt, and most of the attention from the Media has come via her association with him. Without Pitt, she was almost never in the media, just as Aniston was hounded by the media once she got together with him and Paltrow as well. The tabloids, and their readers love Pitt and obsess over whoever he sleeps with, period.
Honesty

South Orange, NJ

#8 Jun 26, 2007
shark wrote:
I think you (james) has forgotten something vital in your article. A lot of people around the world (especially female) don't like angelina jolie. We are fascinated by her because she's defiant to what has happened between her, pitt and the american sweet heart. A lot of women think Jolie is a joke! This is the woman who on one hand keeps reminding us she doesn't care what we think of her but on the other is busying with controlling her own image (picking up a stranded paparazzi, boasting about having elephants in her project in Cambodia, talking about how constant traveling makes her an excellent mother, asking to meet her lover's ex wife in a major magazine, employing an intelligent advisor to tell her what to say about world relations. Angelina Jolie is a cunning woman who is fully aware of how to play the media game. One thing she isn't aware of is people who read the trash magazines are educated people who are familiar with how the A listers control their images. I honestly believe Brad Pitt and his new lover have underestimated people altogether. We haven't forgotten how Pitt and Jolie came together in the first place. It doesn't hurt to act like you're sorry.
Lady, you waste way too much time and energy hating someone you don't even know who did absolutely nothing to you.
The only people who know what happened to Pitt and Aniston are the two of them and they haven't said. It's pretty much impossible to break up a happy and healthy relationship and Aniston looks like she is fine, I'm sure she doesn't need your pity.
Why not take some of that passion and apply it to the people in this world who go around starting wars and really hurting masses of people rather than focusing on some actress you seem to have a hate-on for. Do something positive in this world.

And if you stop buying those stupid magazines, maybe the market for these stupid stories will dry up and they can stop making stuff up to sell paper.
Check this

London, UK

#9 Jun 26, 2007
Honesty Angelina Jolie honeymoon period is truly over. Evan Pearl herself has been criticized heavily for having chosen a white chick to play her by black journalists. Angelina Jolie has been asking for pity from day one. It isn't jen who has been asking for pity. It is Angelina Jolie! This woman has been manipulating the press to up her own image, HELLO? sitting next to a dictator is a fine example? Would someone explain to me why it's a great idea to hire a country to give birth in? Is this the latest hollywood trend? Why is tiger wood giving the baby's picture for fee? Could it be he's more concerned about his baby's privacy than his own image? The media, tabloids and respected newspapers have already guessed bragelina's media game. When are you going to wake up and see the light?
check this

London, UK

#10 Jun 26, 2007
A mighty heart is a mighty tanked. It's funny when brangelina said 'we're not interested in making money!' Then why did you bother to talk about elephants, or picking up a paparazzi from the street when you get bad press? Why does Brad has the vanity to compare his lover to a US president? Because his ego is as big as the atlantic ocean maybe? Can these two spell "humble"?
check this

London, UK

#11 Jun 26, 2007
One more thing Brad Pitt's days as a pretty boy are also over. The man looks like he could do with a month of sleep! That might help him to think clearly before urging his lover to play in a movie he produces in the future. Bragelina must think people are so stupid. We're savvy enough to know about damage control babe.
London, UK

#12 Jun 26, 2007
KARMA WORKS
JC Schaefer

United States

#13 Jun 26, 2007
I saw this movie today and almost didn't go because of Jolie's media hype. Unfortunate that her larger than life reputation ruins her role because she was amazing! And her reaction when she learned of Danny's death was one of the most gripping scenes I have ever seen. Regardless of the media asassination, she absolutely deserves an Oscar nomination for this role.
London, UK

#14 Jun 26, 2007
I'm glad you have enjoyed the movie, have you seen le vie en rose? If not you should go. It's a fantastic film. If Jolie deserves an oscar nod, then the french actress in this film deserves one too. I think jolie has been playing the media to her own advantage (purely for the box office sake), regardless of how her superstar status overshadows pearl. I wish she shuts her mouth about her kids also.
London, UK

#15 Jun 26, 2007
Overall I strongly believe the mighty heart tanked because her personal life is too big for her and any characters she takes on. Shame.
Too Bad

Dallas, OR

#16 Jun 26, 2007
What a shocker! Jolie's film tanked. Too Bad for the Pearl's whom the film was intended for. Maybe if Jolie didn't brag about all the good things she has done and did it with more of a humble heart than 'look at the good I have done' attitude, people would be more inclined to support her in her movie roles.
Don't get me wrong, she has the right idea on supporting other countries, but maybe she should do it in a more humble manner than wearing her self proclaimed badge on her chest to convince us all that she has a good heart.
tcea77

AOL

#17 Jun 27, 2007
Because Angelina Jolie is a Mighty HYPOCRITE,SLUT,PSYCHO and HOME WRECKER!!!

I TOLD U SO...HER IS JUST BEGUN....so long with BRAD PITT! excellent review a MIGHTY SHAME TO A MIGHTY SLUT!
new movies

London, UK

#18 Jun 27, 2007
Die heart is opening this week. Guess where people will spend their money? I see Jolie will be taking her clothes off for another action film next year. She needs to eat before she does that. I hope the recent bad press will teach her a lesson. Keep that beautiful lips of yours shut please. We're sick of hearing about how big your heart is. You aren't the only one with a happy family. Your kids are heading for rehab Jolie. They are more famous than some of the hollywood actors!
new movies

London, UK

#19 Jun 27, 2007
Take lessons from julia roberts or gweneth paltrow about how to behave when you have kids. By the way these women care a lot about the world, but they are doing it in a way that their families are protected. Learn from them Jolie. Maybe your film won't tanked next time and people might warm up to you more. LESS IS MORE.
Dear Angelina Jolie

London, UK

#20 Jun 27, 2007
She's alienating her fans by exposing herself this way. It ain't classy. Her humanitarian works will suffer. Do you think ordinary people will take her seriously? Keep your head down if you want people to realize how serious you are about Aids orphans. Her famous friend Colin Powells is wrong for saying the cause needs Jolie. It begins to feel like she needs the cause to sell her movie's tickets and up her own image. Wake up and smell the coffee please. Yes Less is more, a lot more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Banned film resurfaces 90 years after San Franc... (Aug '11) Sep '14 USSLIBERTY 5
News Editorial | Commandments myth (Jan '10) May '13 Vivek Golikeri 3
News Western Legends Roundup - Part III (Oct '10) Apr '13 delora deville 4
News 'It's a Wonderful Life' movie starlet appears (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lili 1
News Michael Pitt joins Mary Pickford biopic, 'The F... (Sep '12) Sep '12 NANC 1
News Stanley: Can GOP's gonzo celebs help Romney? (Jul '12) Jul '12 RayOne 1
News Rev. Malcolm Boyd: The Oscars: Just Another Taw... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Joe DeCaro 1
More from around the web