Motion Picture & and Television Fund ...

Motion Picture & and Television Fund nursing home, hospital to ...

There are 46 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 15, 2009, titled Motion Picture & and Television Fund nursing home, hospital to .... In it, LA Daily News reports that:

With annual operating losses of $10 million threatening to bankrupt the Motion Picture & Television Fund, fund officials said Wednesday that they must close the landmark nursing home and hospital that have ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CarTer

Studio City, CA

#41 Jan 22, 2009
WHAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE???
Even though they say it has been explained… Even though they say we’ll take care of you by providing a generous severance package and/or by conducting a job fair to help with resumes and job placements in a tough economy… and even though now with what has happened they still have future plans to re-build, re-organize, and NEVER LOOK BACK… Could they have prevented this but cutting back, fund-raising, and notifying us in ways to help cut-back and save money---HELL YES, did they---HELL NO!!!When you promise those at the time of admission-“WE’LL TAKE CARE OF YOU BECAUSE WE TAKE CARE OF OWN!”-
You have an obligation to follow through! Your PLANS SHOULD NOT INCLUDE displacing and up-rooting, and then to explained it as though we must move on for the better of the organization to preserve a service that will only benefit those who are ambulatory and those that require assistive care. The elderly and the very young are our responsibility as a society alone-so making it someone else’s for the sake of LOSING MONEY is unethical and could have been prevented esp. since you had promised them. For those who still will have a job in the coming months-do not stand down, take action even if you are safe---On Thursday, everyone affected will need all the support you can show, it’s our stability, it’s our dedication, and it’s our lives!!! Please join us in unity, a protest, to let Dr. Tillman know IT’S NOT OKAY!!! Even more important, there are residents that we take care of who do not have a voice or a family member that will speak up for them-WE ARE THEIR ADVOCATES!!! Their current level of care is DEPENDENT in other words; vulnerable, weakened, and unprotected. Those that can-will speak up on their behalf, they will fight to stay, therefore protecting those who cannot.

TO DR. TILLMAN, I THINK YOU MAKE MORE THAN ENOUGH SELFISHLYAND AT THIS POINT ARE YOU REALLY JUST TRYING TO SAVE YOURSELF, SACRIFICING OTHERS ALONG THE WAY… THEN BEFORE 100+ RESIDENTS LOSE THEIR HOME AND 290+ EMPLOYEES LOSE THEIR JOBS-CHANGE YOUR MOTTO FROM “TAKING CARE OF OUR OWN” TO “BUSINESS AS USUAL!”
Is the answer to this issue, to remove the ones with the most to lose-THE RESIDENTS?
DO YOU EVEN CARE WHO YOU HURT IN THE PROCESS?

The bottom line is PROFIT!!!
mrmcook

Salinas, CA

#42 Jan 23, 2009
To the latimes, [email protected]
Shame on the LA Times now-RE: Motion Picture Hospital long term care closing

Shame on the MPTF and Jeffrey Katzenberg when they decided to close the MPH LTC unit that cares for the most vulnerable and most needing patients, but now shame on the LA Times too. They didn't cover the protest rally held at the MPH yesterday at all in today's (Friday) LA Times newspaper as opposed to the LA Daily Newspaper which had a front page picture and article. But the LA Times did a nice bang up job on the Oscar nominees on the front page and Calendar section. Maybe they were afraid they'd piss off or embarrass the elitess Hollywood fat cats and celebrities including the gazillionaire Jeffrey Katzenberg, head of the MPTF. What, are they afraid they might embarrass him enough not to get the latest interview with him about some upcoming deal or film. That is why the LA Times is hemorrhaging money, loosing readership and ready to go bankrupt. Screw them. It is for this reason I'm dropping my subscription to their paper and going with the Daily News. For the record, my Mother is living at the MPH in long term care. I now feel you are all complicit in signing my mother's death sentence.

Sadly,

Michael Marquette
Woodland Hills, CA

No response so far
grace

Woodland Hills, CA

#43 Jan 25, 2009
Kak wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe George better save his money.
I'll take care of clooney.. alll he has to do is call... kidding..it's a sad day
Disgusted

San Marcos, CA

#44 Jan 26, 2009
The MPTF Long Term Care Facility was founded and maintained over the years by hardworking, dedicated people who were planning for and investing in the care of the aged in their community. The abrupt announcement by the management that the LTC Facility will close and evict 100+ of those most in need of good care reveals a shocking change in the mindset of the board and management. Shame on all of them for abandoning their mission, and shame on them for such a heartless decision. To those of you who care for our elders there, thank you for your continuing service and dedication to our parents/grandparents/aunts/unc les. To all, please communicate your concerns directly to the MPTF and let them know what you think and how this is affecting your loved ones. http://www.mptvfund.org/Join/ContactMPTF.php
My 85+ year-old grandmother is trying to be brave but I feel absolutely sick that the "Motion Picture Home" management is betraying her this way.
phlebotomy student

United States

#45 Aug 25, 2009
Kak wrote:
Sounds like a great place. But where is OUR fantastic, private retirement home??? My grandma's was 5 grand a month. And, I'm pretty sure not near as nice. She worked her whole life since she was about 8.
Why...out of all people do the movie industry get these great accolades??? Why not surgeons that save babie's lives or, Firefighters??? Folks that had great benefits their whole lives....should have saved the $$$$ for their retirement. The prevledged seems to get it all. For no-good reason.
I agree with you.........there are a lot of great people out there that do not get these types of benefits and IF they did, not anymore. Not sure why the movie industry people get this .......... probably because they pay union dues and into their industries. The movie industry is a bit different.
Anyway, I did nursing hours there and learned a lot from all of the old folks there 20 years ago. Thank you, Motion Picture Hospital sad to see you go.
Is everyone happy with the CHANGE IN AMERICA??????? All I hear about are lost jobs, old people losing on benefits and their homes and not to mention all the students who can not move forward with their careers or schooling any longer. NICE CHANGE! NOT!
Be there

Newbury Park, CA

#46 Feb 24, 2010
Join us for an industry-wide rally to restore the Motion Picture & Television's fund commitment to its historical mission. Together, we'll keep the motion picture home open. We won't let the promise be broken.
WHEN: SATURDAY, MARCH 6,2010 5-9 PM
WHERE: Will Rogers Memorial Park
Across from the Beverly Hills Hotel on Sunset
www.savingthelivesofourown.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Streep wins Globe DeMille award, excoriates Trump Jan '17 Chicagoan by Birth 1
News Golden Globes 2017: a oeLa La Landa Makes Histo... Jan '17 Grams2furu 1
News 'Doctor Strange,' and Hollywood's even stranger... Oct '16 Fckwhitepeople 2
News Locations for 'Hail, Caesar!' and 'Birth of a N... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News A Hilarious Look At What It's Like To Have Your... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Mitt s Dog Crate ... 1
News Banned film resurfaces 90 years after San Franc... (Aug '11) Sep '14 USSLIBERTY 5
News Editorial | Commandments myth (Jan '10) May '13 Vivek Golikeri 3
More from around the web