When Chicago created Hollywood -- chi...

When Chicago created Hollywood -- chicagotribune.com

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 22, 2007, titled When Chicago created Hollywood -- chicagotribune.com. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

With the new "Batman" movie shooting on the streets of Chicago at the moment, it's a good time to remember how those streets looked on film a century ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Jack West

Northbrook, IL

#1 Jul 22, 2007
I 'm surprised you didn't mention the men who revived the name and brought the studio back to exist on Goose Island. Your headline is also correct in another way: Chicago did create Hollywood. After the land was won in the Spanish war of 1836(Remember the Alamo) and parcells were divided off amoung private investors(like the Oklahoma land rush), a private investor from New York, whose name escapes me at this moment, purchase the land and ssent for his wife. She rode in a club car with another woman who was going to Chiago to attend a reunion at a mansion called "Hollywood". The investor's wife thought the name sounded so beautiful, that when she arrived and her husband asked her "Honey, what are we going to call this place?", she replied "Hollywood". So, thanks to a chance meeting on a train and a Chicago mansion, that's how piece of land and an industry got its name.
John

Lake Worth, FL

#2 Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the history. Far as I knew, it only went back as "The Blues Brothers," followed by John Hughes' brilliant career.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hollywood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Streep wins Globe DeMille award, excoriates Trump (Jan '17) Jan '17 Chicagoan by Birth 1
News Golden Globes 2017: a oeLa La Landa Makes Histo... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Grams2furu 1
News 'Doctor Strange,' and Hollywood's even stranger... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Fckwhitepeople 2
News Locations for 'Hail, Caesar!' and 'Birth of a N... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News A Hilarious Look At What It's Like To Have Your... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Mitt s Dog Crate ... 1
News Banned film resurfaces 90 years after San Franc... (Aug '11) Sep '14 USSLIBERTY 5
News Editorial | Commandments myth (Jan '10) May '13 Vivek Golikeri 3
More from around the web