Australia to claim Britain denied its...

Australia to claim Britain denied its soldiers a fair trial in Boer war

There are 12 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Oct 21, 2011, titled Australia to claim Britain denied its soldiers a fair trial in Boer war. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

Boer settlers in 1900. Twelve people were shot dead by Australian soldiers, who said they had been told to take no prisoners.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#1 Oct 21, 2011
old grudge?
Tweeter

Auckland, New Zealand

#2 Oct 21, 2011
Kind of like Indians today who blame all their woes on the British Raj .Nothing to do with people living today but still they want us to feel sorrow and pain for things that happened years before anyone alive today was born.

Old grudge ?
anarchist

Australia

#3 Oct 21, 2011
Plenty of dead Jap prisoners in the Owen Stanley Ranges of PNG to exhume if they want to get picky. They bomb entire cities full of civilians and want to court marshall ordinary men asked to do extraordinary things and kill them too! Fu@k Everything!

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#4 Oct 21, 2011
The two Aussies should never have been shot, but that said they were. All three should have been pardoned at wars end. Had this been done we still wouldn't be arguing the matter.

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#5 Oct 21, 2011
In addition to my above post, in WW1 the Brits played it pretty free and easy executing Canadian soldiers for various crimes. Today most of the soldiers would probably be diagnosed as having Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and would be given medical treatment, not shot at dawn.
Elias

Glen Waverley, Australia

#6 Oct 21, 2011
Tweeter wrote:
Kind of like Indians today who blame all their woes on the British Raj .Nothing to do with people living today but still they want us to feel sorrow and pain for things that happened years before anyone alive today was born.
Old grudge ?
Please show me one Indian who blames the UK for anything? there's 1 billion of us and we are better allies of the UK than your Japanese masters.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#7 Oct 21, 2011
Yank Oliver wrote:
In addition to my above post, in WW1 the Brits played it pretty free and easy executing Canadian soldiers for various crimes. Today most of the soldiers would probably be diagnosed as having Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and would be given medical treatment, not shot at dawn.
I can see both sides of this situation.
1. Empire soldiers (aussies in this case) claim to have carried out orders to shoot prisoners of war.
2. Boers were civilians and while they probably aided and abetted the boer soldiers, they should not have been killed.
3. Aussies made scapegoats for unwritten orders from kitchener and executed in disgrace.
Fat People Club

Bondi, Australia

#8 Oct 21, 2011
who cares they're all dead anyway.

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#9 Oct 22, 2011
REAL-TBA wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see both sides of this situation.
1. Empire soldiers (aussies in this case) claim to have carried out orders to shoot prisoners of war.
2. Boers were civilians and while they probably aided and abetted the boer soldiers, they should not have been killed.
3. Aussies made scapegoats for unwritten orders from kitchener and executed in disgrace.
Very true. have also read some of the boars were wearing Aussie uniforms, which would have made them subject to summary execution.
The fact that this was not put in writing proves that the three
Aussies were innocent. If it's one thing the
British army was good at was written orders, all except one makes me very suspicious.

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#10 Oct 22, 2011
Fat People Club wrote:
who cares they're all dead anyway.
Show some repect they were your soldiers!

Since: Dec 10

Perth, Australia

#11 Oct 22, 2011
Yank Oliver wrote:
<quoted text>
Show some repect they were your soldiers!
Can't you tell he is not a real Aussie, he's a blow in!

Since: Oct 11

Timmins, Canada

#12 Oct 22, 2011
Ahomana wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't you tell he is not a real Aussie, he's a blow in!
No I couldn't tell, how can you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debate: Was the Apollo moon landing real or a h... (Aug '07) Jun '15 FuzzBuster 484
News Keanu Reeves' Excellent Adventure At Ferrari In... Jun '15 Anna Romanovskaja 2
News Actor Morgan Freeman smears Tea Party as racist... (Sep '11) Jun '15 swedenforever 640
News Happy Birthday, Gregory Hines, Tap Dancer, Chor... May '15 FAMOUSSTARFIELD 2
News Vatican media pan message of 'Avatar' (Feb '10) Apr '15 zubda 4
News Trying to Keep Coal Mining History Alive Apr '15 burn baby burn 1
News Titanic family had ties to the Lehigh Valley Apr '15 Ahab 1
More from around the web