New Zealand again approves farm sales...

New Zealand again approves farm sales to Chinese

There are 8 comments on the Belleville News Democrat story from Apr 20, 2012, titled New Zealand again approves farm sales to Chinese. In it, Belleville News Democrat reports that:

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand's government has for the second time approved the contentious sale of 16 dairy farms to Chinese investors, despite objections from critics who say the country's prosperity could be jeopardized by such transactions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belleville News Democrat.

“Serenity at the Beach.”

Since: Nov 10

Where Our Heart is,@ The Beach

#1 Apr 20, 2012
This is where the goverment should be putting our money. Not giving it to the iwi to waste and loose..

And not to build a $350 million conference centre, with more pokie machines..

Then, they say, they can't afford to pay more money for mum's to stay home with their newborn babies..

There's no figuring out that lot..

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#2 Apr 20, 2012
Silva Wolf wrote:
This is where the goverment should be putting our money. Not giving it to the iwi to waste and loose..
And not to build a $350 million conference centre, with more pokie machines..
Then, they say, they can't afford to pay more money for mum's to stay home with their newborn babies..
There's no figuring out that lot..
I agree about not giving our money to Maori, but do we really want the government getting involved in farming? No...it should have been sold to a private local concern. IF they could come up with the cash. They couldn't, so off to the Chinese it goes. I really don't see the big deal though. There's already way more farm land in foreign hands than what is in the offing with Crafar.

And don't forget Wolf, the government isn't putting in a cent into the conference centre. Again, a big deal about nothing. We get a shiny new conference centre in the country, there's jobs all round, and the idiot pokie people have more pokies they can waste their money at. A win win win situation I reckon.

As for the parental leave..why SHOULD the taxpayer have to pay for people who choose to have kids? Bill English was spot on with his comments - we simply can't afford it.

“Serenity at the Beach.”

Since: Nov 10

Where Our Heart is,@ The Beach

#3 Apr 20, 2012
I'm all for people having jobs, and, if what they say, there could be up to 800 jobs in the conference centre, once built, then thats really great.. Plus, the jobs for people to build it, etc. Thats great also...
I know, it's people's choice to play the pokies, hey, even I do now & again. But, I certainly don't go overboard with it. Just keep to my limit..
But, don't really think any more are needed, unless, there is some way of having a limit on them, mostly for those, who do feed to much into the machines, there are a lot who do. But, that's their choice..

NO I don't agree, that mum's who want babies, should be paid to stay home with them...Again, that's their choice. NO, us tax payers shouldn't have to pay them to do so..We, pay enough for the solo mum's on DPB, who keep popping out babies...

Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about not giving our money to Maori, but do we really want the government getting involved in farming? No...it should have been sold to a private local concern. IF they could come up with the cash. They couldn't, so off to the Chinese it goes. I really don't see the big deal though. There's already way more farm land in foreign hands than what is in the offing with Crafar.
And don't forget Wolf, the government isn't putting in a cent into the conference centre. Again, a big deal about nothing. We get a shiny new conference centre in the country, there's jobs all round, and the idiot pokie people have more pokies they can waste their money at. A win win win situation I reckon.
As for the parental leave..why SHOULD the taxpayer have to pay for people who choose to have kids? Bill English was spot on with his comments - we simply can't afford it.
beatlesinthebog

New Zealand

#4 Apr 21, 2012
Me
Gutsfull wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree about not giving our money to Maori, but do we really want the government getting involved in farming? No...it should have been sold to a private local concern. IF they could come up with the cash. They couldn't, so off to the Chinese it goes. I really don't see the big deal though. There's already way more farm land in foreign hands than what is in the offing with Crafar.
And don't forget Wolf, the government isn't putting in a cent into the conference centre. Again, a big deal about nothing. We get a shiny new conference centre in the country, there's jobs all round, and the idiot pokie people have more pokies they can waste their money at. A win win win situation I reckon.
As for the parental leave..why SHOULD the taxpayer have to pay for people who choose to have kids? Bill English was spot on with his comments - we simply can't afford it.
Possibly it's been a better deal to offload to the Chinese rather than to that other rapist of businesses.......but why do I have that familiar feeling that we're in for a reaming?

Since: Nov 08

Auckland

#5 Apr 24, 2012
beatlesinthebog wrote:
Me<quoted text>Possibly it's been a better deal to offload to the Chinese rather than to that other rapist of businesses.......but why do I have that familiar feeling that we're in for a reaming?
Hey Beatles...one of the things I find most funny about this is that the Crafar land is already owned by foreigners. Isn't the bulk of the debt the receivers are trying to recover owed to Westpac and Rabobank?

In that respect, I'd imagine there's a considerable chunk of NZ land indirectly owned by foreign interests that we never give a thought to. Throw in the mortgaged residential sector and it makes one wonder about the long term ramifications of being so beholden. And that's without even considering the government's indebtedness to various international financiers.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#6 Apr 24, 2012
Chinaman had the money for the farms tough titties.
alot more land than that is owned by foreigners just ask that brown fellow on close up the other night.

A few hundred pokies for a shiny new convention centre who cares i dont waste my money on them.

Paid parental leave comparing paid parental leave with dpb is a bit stupid most people who pump out the kids on dpb are parasites.26 weeks or whatever it is is a hell of alot better than nothing when you think about it.

stop wasting money on maori initiatives whanau ora and assorted other rubbish .Get rid of te tiriti
make them carry a id badge maybe wear a brown cresent moon badge.hard to tell some of the sneaky buggers these days untill they speak theyre so white looking.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#7 Apr 24, 2012
all bow to the honourable jon ki

Since: May 11

New Zealand

#8 Apr 25, 2012
I want to ask why such an aggressive push for sales of these assets?
Whats going on?

also look at this news source, its highlighting something that i have not yet seen anyone make a comment on and i think that is its main purpose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Andrew Lloyd Webber is ready to write his own s... Nov 7 Hostis Publicus 1
News Freeview film of the day: Speed (Apr '17) May '17 Martina 2
News Robert Redford Says Trump's Press Jabs Take Nix... (Apr '17) Apr '17 USA Today 1
News Dine like the Titanic's first-class passengers ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 WelbyMD 1
News Inside the bizarre ritual of the red carpet (Feb '17) Feb '17 Christian Fumblem... 1
News Academy Award winner (Feb '17) Feb '17 Ground hog day 1
News Actors Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet in a ... (Jan '17) Jan '17 New Evidence 1
More from around the web