Fire Over England: the untold story o...

Fire Over England: the untold story of the Spanish Armada

There are 1 comment on the The Guardian story from Jun 27, 2013, titled Fire Over England: the untold story of the Spanish Armada. In it, The Guardian reports that:

Philip II's Spain is beleaguered by English pirates. The Spanish ambassador turns up at the court of Queen Elizabeth to protest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Guardian.

Basque_spaniards

Mérida, Spain

#1 Oct 1, 2013
I always be surprised when they call "spanish Armada".
1º The ships were: spanish, portuguese and Italian. I mean it was a coalition fleet order by the Pope.
2º In that time the best part of the spanish forces were the spanish army, I mean spanish tercios, the spanish navy was good but not awesome.
3º At the first time,the admiral was "alvaro de Bazan", basque and one of the best spanish admiral in history but died before spanish fleet was preparing the invasion and was substitute by a young captain without experience as an admiral. And this commander has even problems with other captains with more experience that were advising to combat the english fleet.
4º The support of the neederlands navy in calais in adition of the english fleet with a good commander.
5º The stormy weather was an adition a bad day for the fleet
In spite of the disaster of the "spanish" armada, Sir Francis Drake with the support Queen Elisabeth prepared a counterattack in 1589 with an invasion fleet, even bigger than spanish armada, but the disaster was even bigger. The English fleet even land in galician west coast but at the land were expelled easily and there was even battle at the sea and obviously defeated.
Finaly, the war ended with a peace treaty. A peace treaty good for England because it was losing the war but also for Spain because the economic costs were too high.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

History Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eliza Dushku says she was sexually molested dur... Jan 14 WHO 1
News Avengers Assembling: Tom Hiddleston to play Lok... (Jun '09) Dec '17 Mmmm 2
News Andrew Lloyd Webber is ready to write his own s... Nov '17 Hostis Publicus 1
News Freeview film of the day: Speed (Apr '17) May '17 Martina 2
News Robert Redford Says Trump's Press Jabs Take Nix... (Apr '17) Apr '17 USA Today 1
News Dine like the Titanic's first-class passengers ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 WelbyMD 1
News Inside the bizarre ritual of the red carpet (Feb '17) Feb '17 Christian Fumblem... 1
More from around the web