This year's Oscar snubs

This year's Oscar snubs

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2009, titled This year's Oscar snubs. In it, Newsday reports that:

Each year, the Oscar nominations result in a pleasure-pain split in Hollywood. There's the "You like me, you really like me!" jubilation for those whose work is honored.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

GI-CUP

Far Rockaway, NY

#1 Jan 22, 2009
Make a movie about gays/transvestites/molesters and it will guarantee a good review from every critic and an Oscar nod. Ridiculous what qualifies as qualtiy entertainment and art in 2009. Gran Tarino was much better than Milk, but hey, unless two guys aren't in a tent/office together with some vaseline, it has no shot of garnering a nomination. However, Eastwood will laugh all the way to box office as this film will earn 4 times the $$$ as Milk.
Jim

Deer Park, NY

#2 Jan 22, 2009
I'm just not sure why anyone doesn't think Josh Brolin wasn't snubbed for W.. He was amazing in that. It's nice that he was nominated for Milk. But he should have been nominated for W. instead.
Jim

Deer Park, NY

#3 Jan 22, 2009
I think that Tropic Thunder and W. also should have been nominated for Best Make-up. W. was totally snubbed.
shut up

Huntington Station, NY

#4 Jan 23, 2009
obama should be given one for best actor
Observer

North Brunswick, NJ

#5 Feb 11, 2009
Clint, you are the all-time best! The oscar ceremony this year? Forgettaboutit!
Observer

North Brunswick, NJ

#6 Feb 11, 2009
shut up wrote:
obama should be given one for best actor
Your quote is very funny, only it's just so sad. The American people fell for the sound bites of this amateur, and we'll be paying for it over the next 4 years.

Since: Nov 08

Huntington Station, NY

#7 Feb 11, 2009
Guinness where ARE you?

“she may be a murderer, but....”

Since: Dec 07

she'll ensure U cant prove it

#8 Feb 11, 2009
who cares; at this point, you might as well include 'Mall Cop' as a snub

#9 Feb 11, 2009
Cogency wrote:
Guinness where ARE you?
:)

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#10 Feb 11, 2009
Cogency wrote:
Guinness where ARE you?
He's not caring elsewhere at the moment.

“It might have been !!!”

F&P City

#11 Feb 11, 2009
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
He's quicker than I thought !
Cadillac

Darien, IL

#12 Feb 11, 2009
Must be nice to get payed $20 million for 3 months work AND get an award also

“Trying is...”

Since: Feb 08

the first step towards failure

#13 Feb 11, 2009
Gotta be a looser to even concider caring about this nonsense. Frankly, it discusts me.

“Trying is...”

Since: Feb 08

the first step towards failure

#14 Feb 11, 2009
opps....'noncents'

#16 Feb 11, 2009
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
F&P at the moment is the Jets QB situation. We'll trash more phony celebs later

:)
FOXY

Lockport, IL

#17 Feb 11, 2009
Down overall year for movies but "W" was fun. Slumdog was loved by media types because it looks like the old eurotrash they shove down your throat in college cinema class.

“It might have been !!!”

F&P City

#18 Feb 11, 2009
Al Kahalik wrote:
Gotta be a looser to even concider caring about this nonsense. Frankly, it discusts me.
kukdos.
Bob S

AOL

#19 Feb 20, 2009
Of all the years they had to snub Clint Eastwood! He's my Best Actor for Gran Torino and my Best Director for The Changeling.

At least they nominated The Changeling for Best Actress Angelina Jolie, Best Art Direction and Best Cinematography. Each being my favorites in those races.
Tom

Cedarburg, WI

#20 Feb 20, 2009
The fact that Sean Penn was nominated and Clint Eastwood snubbed shows that the Oscars are controlled by the politically correct crowd.
XXX

New Kensington, PA

#21 Feb 20, 2009
Jim wrote:
I think that Tropic Thunder and W. also should have been nominated for Best Make-up. W. was totally snubbed.
"W." had the potential to be a good film (hell, anything by Oliver Stone does), but I think production was made too speedily. Possibly to convince voters about the dangers of electing a similar candidate (I'm guessing he was an Obama supporter).
"Tropic Thunder" didn't deserve any honor. It should be in the ranks of "The Love Guru", "National Lampoon's Stoned Age", and "High School Musical 3". I'd put it up for a Razzie, if anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Happy-Go-Lucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Film review: Another Year (Nov '10) Nov '10 BlueStar 1
News The Oscars: Who'll win - and who should have wo... (Feb '09) Nov '09 jillyofthevalley04 6
News The Avon in Stamford (Feb '09) Feb '09 Libertarian Advocate 1
News Robot romance, 'Slumdog,' '30 Rock,' among Gold... (Jan '09) Jan '09 onthelegalside 7
News Oscar slate foretells dark night for ABC (Jan '09) Jan '09 Reichdome 9
News The best movies of 2008 (Jan '09) Jan '09 thatmoviesucks 2
News U2 join line-up for Brits (Jan '09) Jan '09 vhuskey 8
More from around the web