Clark Gable: Gay for Pay?

Mar 31, 2008 Full story: gay_blog.blogspot.com 10

Dead Hollywood legends are a curious subject. Admiration and reverence have to go hand in hand with conjecture and idle gossip. There's a book out by David Bret called Clark Gable: Tormented Star that is very heavy on the latter. One of the most respected of all early Hollywood stars, he earned the moniker "King of Hollywood" in the late 1930's. Gable won an Academy Award for the classic It Happened One Night (and the urban legend still persists that after he was seen shirtless in the film, sales of men's t-shirts plummeted). MORE

Full Story
Pauline

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 31, 2008
Do we need to know?

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#2 Apr 1, 2008
How does this make Clark Gable "gay for pay"? Unless I'm reading this wrong it's kinda insulting thinking a guy will only "go gay for pay".

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Apr 1, 2008
McMike wrote:
How does this make Clark Gable "gay for pay"? Unless I'm reading this wrong it's kinda insulting thinking a guy will only "go gay for pay".
Good point. Maybe the title should be "Nice work if you can get it.... "

Since: Sep 07

Tuxedo Park, NY

#5 Apr 1, 2008
While I always thought Clark's masculine screen image was rather exaggerated,(no one can be that macho and live!!!;-)) I think this has to be filed under "not proven".

It's similar to what I read in a recent biography of Noel Coward which claims he had a brief affair with James Cagney and that the song "Mad About the Boy" was about Jimmy.(There's no doubt about Noel, of course!")

I'll believe it when I see the photos!
Kurt

Round Lake, IL

#7 Apr 5, 2008
No real surprise there.

I'm told that a huge percentage of the actors and actresses who eventually become famous dabbled in hustling/prostitution.

And weirdly enough, supposedly the networking from doing so can actually be beneficial to ones budding career.

“A T-Girl in Progress”

Since: Dec 07

St. Cloud, Florida

#8 Apr 5, 2008
Kurt wrote:
No real surprise there.
I'm told that a huge percentage of the actors and actresses who eventually become famous dabbled in hustling/prostitution.
And weirdly enough, supposedly the networking from doing so can actually be beneficial to ones budding career.
I wonder what that percentage is? Not that you could ever get an accurate one. But I've heard that gay strippers make lots more money than girls in straight bars. And I have friend's brother who is STRAIGHT but works as a stripper at a gay bar because the money is so good. He has to pretend to like it. But to me it sounds like an awesome way to make alot of money... talk about "gay for pay" that's it - a straight boy acting gay for the money!

-Shay
j alex

United States

#9 Apr 11, 2008
Seriously, as a huge fan of Mr. Gable's, I could care less if he occasionally enjoyed the company of sheep down on that ranch of his. Long/short, teeth/no teeth, top/bottom..........whatever!
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#10 Dec 16, 2009
George Cukor knew that Billy Haines had sex with Clark Gable when he was a nobody in Hollywood.
bauhaustm

Granger, IN

#11 Apr 14, 2012
This was Golden Era Hollywood folks. If you didn't have a studio contract, you didn't have a career. I don't find it far fetched that Gable was with a few men. If you look at the "machine" and how it turned stars out in that era it is awful. But you did what you had to do. Sleep with this director or that producer ... whatever it took. I'm sure that still goes on to some degree.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#12 Apr 23, 2012
isn't it obvious?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gone with the Wind Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Gone With the Wind' at 75: Celebration, censure Sep '14 We got a fat one 40
Celebrating a - super' man Jul '14 Little Superman 1
70th Anniversary of Gone With The Wind (Dec '09) Apr '14 Patrisha 4
Hattie McDaniel loved her role as 'Mammy' in 'G... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
'Gone with the Wind' actor Mickey Kuhn recalls ... (Aug '11) Oct '13 Patrisha 8
"Gone With the Wind" actress Ann Rutherford dies (Jun '12) Sep '13 John Hess 5
Witnesses to the Burning of Atlanta scene? (Dec '12) Apr '13 Patrisha 6

Gone with the Wind People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE