'WALL-E:' Pixar 's trash-compacting r...

'WALL-E:' Pixar 's trash-compacting robot will be collecting he...

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 26, 2008, titled 'WALL-E:' Pixar 's trash-compacting robot will be collecting he.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

It's the surest thing in the infinitely malleable world of animation: Get the eyes right, and you're halfway home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 07

Evanston

#1 Jun 26, 2008
Michael, How could you fail to note that WALL-E is a dead ringer for Number 5 from Short Circuit?
chris

Waldorf, MD

#2 Jun 26, 2008
i think you're exaggerating. he's similar for sure, but dead ringer means something very specific.
Ric Flair

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 26, 2008
Johnny 5 is rolling inside his landfill grave.

Since: Aug 07

Evanston

#4 Jun 26, 2008
OK, dead ringer is a stretch (I was working from memory), but strong resemblance to be sure.
PB and E

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jun 26, 2008
Bankerdanny wrote:
Michael, How could you fail to note that WALL-E is a dead ringer for Number 5 from Short Circuit?
Man you guys took the words out of my mouth. "Number 5 is alive!" ... if he isn't Short Circuit I didn't grow up in the 80's. Now if only they can find a white guy with a fake Indian accent ...
chris

Waldorf, MD

#6 Jun 26, 2008
http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/andre...

AVC: People keep talking about how much WALL•E resembles Johnny 5 from Short Circuit—

AS: You know, I was shocked to see that afterward. I never thought about it. I really didn't. And I'll own up to anything. I am trying to homage to HAL [from 2001] and all that, but I honestly never thought of Short Circuit. I can see the comparison, because it's the stereoscopic eyes. I personally got that idea from a pair of binoculars somebody handed to me at a baseball game. When I saw the inner hinge on them, and how you could kind of use it to make them look sad or stern or mad—I remember playing with my dad's binoculars, and that's when I got hooked on the idea. And I loved that his design had the simplicity of the cone lamp head of Luxo Jr. And that's where it came from.
Andrew

Chicago, IL

#7 Jun 26, 2008
I think he has some R2D2 in him, too.
Bip

United States

#8 Jun 26, 2008
Betamax! The HD-DVD of its day.
another animal lover

United States

#9 Jun 26, 2008
Bankerdanny wrote:
My first thought, too! Johnny Number 5...ALIVE!
another animal lover

United States

#10 Jun 26, 2008
Bip wrote:
Betamax! The HD-DVD of its day.
I suspect that children of the 80s (of which I am one) are going to LOVE this movie. I can't wait to see it.
ROSEY

Havertown, PA

#11 Jun 26, 2008
I can't wait to see WALL-E in the movies this weekend.
Shaun - not from Boston

Quincy, MA

#12 Jun 27, 2008
"(M)echanical love child of E.T. and Mini Me"? Michael, where do you come up with this stuff? That's gotta be one of the weirdest, and most nonsensical things I've ever heard.

But I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. As is often the case with Pixar, the trailers usually don't give me a good feel for how the movie will be. But in the end, it's always an excellent move. Well, "Cars" didn't work for me. But even that one had its moments.

You still didn't answer the most important question. Who's more memorable: Wall-E, or Indiana Jones?
Sneak Preview

Tinley Park, IL

#13 Jun 27, 2008
Wall-E was a horrible movie. Best for those 4 years old and under.
John

Costa Mesa, CA

#14 Jun 27, 2008
what a moronic review. This is a G rated movie for kids. I want to know if it is entertaining for just kids or if it contains some adult humor as well. How hard is it to tell us its a good movie that both parents and kids will enjoy plus it may or may not be suitable for the super young. I cannot believe this guys gets paid for this garbage!
Den C

Round Lake, IL

#15 Jun 27, 2008
DELIGHTFUL, i JUST SAW IT WITH MY GRANDKIDS!
Thomas

Palatine, IL

#16 Jun 27, 2008
Just saw it. It was the first Pixar movie I was disappointed in. Not bad...just not real good either.
Edgewater Parent

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 28, 2008
Saw this movie with my children 2 and 4 years of age. They loved it and I really enjoyed it. Very cute and has some adult humor but nothing like Cars adult humor. This movie is much better then Kung Fu Panda, that is for sure.
FatNSassy

Melrose Park, IL

#18 Jun 29, 2008
I find it ironic that they have made the characters fat, which is just more of the same old same old from Hollywood, don't be fat and everrything else will fall into place. Yet despite its anti consumption message, various Wall-E toys already hit the shelves, just waiting to be landfill material in a few years or less. That is because Disney and Pixar have become companies who only care about making a buck. The real message the public will take away from it is just lose weight (by trying one of the many worthless weight loss products out there) and I wouldn't be surprized if the diet industry paid for the subtle antifat sentiment to be written in the script. The purpose of almost all commercial media these days, be they news, t.v. or movies is to push some product in a nonobvious way. Sex and the City set a record for product placement.

I am sure the average sheeple will be outraged by my sentiments. I could care less. But they should watch a video called Afluenza where Michael Eisner, former CEO of Disney talks about how it is perfectly acceptable to present violent material to boys because that is what sells. However pure and noble Walt Disney was, Disney know is just another company filled with corporate sharks who will exploit anything and everything for a buck. Yes, the movie might have some sappy message. For propaganda to be effective, people must be unaware of how they are being manipulated. So keep on buying and consuming all those overpriced Wall E toys, just don't be fat and all the world's problems will magically go away with weight loss. Enjoy your virtual animated cool-aid folks.
mark

Highland Park, IL

#20 Jun 29, 2008
OK movie, but four stars? That's a real stretch, particularly for what happens after the first 30-40 minutes, when the movie becomes a predictable "evil big corporation" with chases story. Ho hum. Top ratings should mean that the film is exceptional throughout.

If this is the best sci-fi of 2008 it's a backhanded compliment. Or a roundabout way of saying that all the sci-fi this year has been lousy.

Looking back to Ratatouille, Wall-E doesn't compare favorably, though Wall-E has its moments. Three stars, sure; four, no way.
Airtight case

Edwardsburg, MI

#21 Jun 30, 2008
FatNSassy wrote:
I find it ironic that they have made the characters fat, which is just more of the same old same old from Hollywood, don't be fat and everrything else will fall into place. Yet despite its anti consumption message, various Wall-E toys already hit the shelves, just waiting to be landfill material in a few years or less. That is because Disney and Pixar have become companies who only care about making a buck. The real message the public will take away from it is just lose weight (by trying one of the many worthless weight loss products out there) and I wouldn't be surprized if the diet industry paid for the subtle antifat sentiment to be written in the script. The purpose of almost all commercial media these days, be they news, t.v. or movies is to push some product in a nonobvious way. Sex and the City set a record for product placement.
I am sure the average sheeple will be outraged by my sentiments. I could care less. But they should watch a video called Afluenza where Michael Eisner, former CEO of Disney talks about how it is perfectly acceptable to present violent material to boys because that is what sells. However pure and noble Walt Disney was, Disney know is just another company filled with corporate sharks who will exploit anything and everything for a buck. Yes, the movie might have some sappy message. For propaganda to be effective, people must be unaware of how they are being manipulated. So keep on buying and consuming all those overpriced Wall E toys, just don't be fat and all the world's problems will magically go away with weight loss. Enjoy your virtual animated cool-aid folks.
Get a clue. You completely missed the point. The point is NOT about being fat, but about not being so self-absorbed that you don't lose sight of the world around you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Finding Nemo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Finding Nemo 3D' (Dec '12) Dec '12 Is it i__It is I 2
News Brad Garrett (Apr '07) Nov '12 Good Brothers 3
News DeGeneres offers local fans seats in her audience (Sep '12) Sep '12 dnaleerf 2
News Top 10 Greatest Gay Spokespeople of All Time (Mar '12) Apr '12 Pattysboi 34
News Disney: 'John Carter' to lose $200M (Mar '12) Mar '12 beatlesinthebog 10
News Ellen DeGeneres helps Ont. girl's quest for org... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Jerry irizarry 1
Nemo is right here! (Mar '08) Dec '11 luckyplayah 25
More from around the web