No End to Korea's Rough Ride in Holly...

No End to Korea's Rough Ride in Hollywood

There are 1 comment on the Chosun Ilbo story from Apr 11, 2007, titled No End to Korea's Rough Ride in Hollywood. In it, Chosun Ilbo reports that:

“Do you have any idea how much money my country has given your country?”

Following the recent release of two U.S. soldiers who sexually assaulted a female Korean police officer, another Hollywood movie is stoking criticism of U.S. attitudes toward Koreans. via Chosun Ilbo

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chosun Ilbo.

Since: Dec 06

Apo, AP

#1 Apr 13, 2007
Korea has a worldwide reputation for being unfriendly to tourists, rude to foreigners, and racist to all.
Koreans can complain about these stereotypes being unearned, but then how did they come about? Someone must have had bad experiences based on those things.
US Soldiers in Korea can complain about their image of being STD carrying sexual assaulters being false, but first they would have to get their misfits to stop carrying STDs and sexually assaulting Korean women.
Similiarly, Koreans can complain about how they are portrayed, but first they have to stop their misfits from misbehaving.
The food in England is not disgusting. The French are not all cowards. Americans are not all blowhards. Mexicans are not all lazy. blah blah blah.
Still, it is usually the action of a few that brands the whole.
I have lived in Korea a total of five years. There are many times when I will sit at a barbers chair and listen to the conversation while they think I do not understand. I have been denied entry to businesses because there were black people with us. And Koreans concept of a person they don't know being a non-entity is very disconcerting to the Western mind.
From my experience in Korea, the characterizations of Koreans in movies are not totally out of line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Falling Down Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Movie Review: Falling Down (May '09) Sep '10 DeeFens 2
News Candidates are either running against, or from,... (May '10) May '10 RayOne 1
News Ink Out Loud: Give the gift of safety (Dec '09) Dec '09 un-Americian 1
News Holiday tip: Packing heat? Keep hair-trigger te... (Dec '07) Dec '08 Furious in Wilton... 37
News Zit-a Jones ... Catherine looked a far cry yest... (Oct '08) Oct '08 amita 3
More from around the web