Prozac is all grown up — and all ov...

Prozac is all grown up — and all over the arts

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 5, 2008, titled Prozac is all grown up — and all over the arts. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Imagine Captain Ahab - that fiery-eyed, demon-haunted, vengeance-goaded mariner - faced with a choice: Chase a great big whale or swallow an itty-bitty pill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

elle

Cancún, Mexico

#2 Jan 6, 2008
What came along after prozac was the killer drug Zyprexa, an atypical antipsychotic. Thousands have died from this drug, the other atypicals, and all the SSRI antidepressants. i realize the artist's delemma, and muse as well about what Virginia Wolfe might have done. But in the case of my family, we are ruined because Zyprexa was pushed on my son and killed him.
Jonathan

Moreno Valley, CA

#3 Jan 7, 2008
Prozac was a hero (and prompted SSRI cousins) Zyprexa is a zero, RIP Eli Lilly!
Melissa

Kathleen, GA

#4 Jan 10, 2008
I have been on Prozac now for over a year, and i can understand that it affects every person differently and individually. For me and my sanity, Prozac has helped me from the overwhelming fears of failure and given me the necessary frame of mind to clearly reason and think and take care of my family.
Bluestalking Reader

Algonquin, IL

#5 Jan 14, 2008
I can't really speak on Prozac, and which drug we're speaking of I know isn't the point. What's the question here is would these writers have been capable of the same creativity had they been helped by medications that took away some of the blues, and this is an absolutely fascinating question to ask.

My first inclination is to say what made these people so creative had a lot to do with the degree of their suffering. Would meds have helped them create more, as they'd have felt better, or would they have slid into a totally different lifestyle, becoming more mainstream and less concerned with art and creativity. Would art have suffered or gained?

There's something to be said for both sides. On the one hand I know anti-depressants help one focus. They take the edge off anxiety, allowing a person to function better in society. But writers by nature are anti-social, especially the higher up the literary scale you get. There were a few exceptions. Oscar Wilde certainly enjoyed a good party, but I wonder how many of them suffered from what we call today "social anxiety disorder," and if they'd have chucked their work and just partied all the time if they'd have been medicated?

We'll never know the truth, but it's fascinating to speculate. And this is why Julia Keller is the highlight of the Trib for me.

“God loves to heal people”

Since: Nov 07

Oxford, UK

#6 Jan 14, 2008
Bluestalking Reader wrote:
I can't really speak on Prozac, and which drug we're speaking of I know isn't the point. What's the question here is would these writers have been capable of the same creativity had they been helped by medications that took away some of the blues, and this is an absolutely fascinating question to ask.
My first inclination is to say what made these people so creative had a lot to do with the degree of their suffering. Would meds have helped them create more, as they'd have felt better, or would they have slid into a totally different lifestyle, becoming more mainstream and less concerned with art and creativity. Would art have suffered or gained?
There's something to be said for both sides. On the one hand I know anti-depressants help one focus. They take the edge off anxiety, allowing a person to function better in society. But writers by nature are anti-social, especially the higher up the literary scale you get. There were a few exceptions. Oscar Wilde certainly enjoyed a good party, but I wonder how many of them suffered from what we call today "social anxiety disorder," and if they'd have chucked their work and just partied all the time if they'd have been medicated?
We'll never know the truth, but it's fascinating to speculate. And this is why Julia Keller is the highlight of the Trib for me.
Dickens also enjoyed a bit of a knees up, and so did Thackery.I don't think a person has to be in the throes of depression in order to write a ripping yarn.

I'm totally against Prozac though. How can taking a mind numbing drug be right? I remember as a young ballet dancer, buying my first pair of point shoes. They were all pretty pink satin, and I was horrified when my ballet teacher told me to bang them against the wall to soften them up. She explained that you have to be able to feel the floor with your toes, to dance beautifully. The solid hard blocks made the dance expressionless and wooden. Prozac deadens the spirit. No-one likes pain, but what's the point of living if you are going to block out half of your emotions?
Alvin
#7 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Carmelle

UK

#9 Jan 30, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/DmlKns only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drama Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Orlando massacre spurs fear, solidarity among L... 20 min WasteWater 607
News Sarah Silverman, Susan Sarandon Ignite DNC Cele... 7 hr Responsibility 6
News Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley,... (Dec '09) 8 hr Chaimpie 7,216
News A few weeks before he died, Malcolm X endured a... Tue Islam sucks 9
News 'Awards Chatter' Podcast - Justin Lin Mon TW_sugar_daddio 3
News Kerns: Ranching Heritage Center partners with A... Sun Greater Good 1
News Report It Wrap: The history of the Terre Haute ... Jul 23 SHTF 2
More from around the web