George Carlin, 71; comedian tested li...

George Carlin, 71; comedian tested limits of speech and society

There are 1 comment on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 23, 2008, titled George Carlin, 71; comedian tested limits of speech and society. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

George Carlin, the acerbic, Grammy-winning comedian whose career spanned more than 50 years, died of heart failure Sunday evening after being admitted to the hospital complaining of chest pains, his spokesman ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

HubbaPasha

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 23, 2008
I'm extremely saddened by this news. I had the good fortune to meet George back in 1976. He was still developing his grumpy old man persona at the time. I found him to be a thoughtful, intelligent, and gentle man. His comedy amused me for about 35 years. I saw his most recent (of surprisingly many) HBO comedy specials, and I was overjoyed to see that he was still "pushing the envelope," then shredding it and blowing into the breeze. In my current swell of sentimentialsm, I'd call him the "white Richard Pryor," in the sense of their boundary-breaking approaches; even though their approach points were about 30 degrees apart.
His quality that I enjoyed the most was his ability to see through the b*%%sh^@ and deliver the facts in an understandable form; truth to power

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dogma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pearl Jam is a no-brainer for the Rock Hall Cla... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Three Days 1
News 10 Anti-Christianity movies (Apr '11) May '12 aur56 10
News Alanis Morissette gives birth to a baby boy (Dec '10) Jan '12 Guinness Drinker 4
News Kevin Smith's Promotional Beefs: A History (Feb '10) Dec '10 adam 2
News Movie review: 'Cop Out' (Feb '10) Mar '10 TalkingBob 2
News Kevin Smith's 'Cop Out': Too Flabby to Fly (Feb '10) Mar '10 TalkingBob 4
News Leave Fat People Alone (Feb '10) Mar '10 Beef Stew 11
More from around the web