'Dear John' certain to elicit tears

There are 1 comment on the Telegram & Gazette story from Feb 14, 2010, titled 'Dear John' certain to elicit tears. In it, Telegram & Gazette reports that:

Jeff Bridges adds another piercing character study to his resume as Bad Blake, a semi-washed-up country singer of great talents and even greater self-destructiveness. Based on a novel by Thomas Cobb, 'Crazy Heart' is delicately written and directed by Scott Cooper, with perfect songs by T Bone Burnett and the late Stephen Bruton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Telegram & Gazette.

Clyde

Utica, NY

#1 Feb 14, 2010
I thought Dear John was a good movie. I went with my wife, who was the one who really wanted to see it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had not read the book prior to seeing the movie, which makes a difference, but I thought that the story was touching. Of course, the thing that immediately gets someone like me, who never had anyone like our female star showing any interest in me, was exactly that. To have someone like her giving you the time of day, much less her body and soul, is truly the stuff of fantasy. I think that is why I get such a kick out of a lot of the critical reviews. They say that a lot of the things that happen in the movie lack credibility. But nothing lacks credibility as much as the idea that someone like our heroine wasn't completely spoken for prior to the initial encounter. Granted, our hero is not me. He is the kind of good looking guy that you could see someone like her going for. Once that little detail is taken care of, the next question is who is more invested in the relationship. It always seems to be him. That, at least, is the way I think it often is, at least in the movies. In real life, it may be a different story. I almost expect our hero to say the sort of thing that the dumped boyfriend in Picnic says. That is, that there was always an air of unreality that she would ever be interested in him. So when his very attractive friend showed up and she dumped him for his friend, it wasn't really a surprise. It was the way that the universe had of righting itself when mistakes were made. Once, on the Mary Tyler Moore show, an unattractive but male friend of Mary was talking to Rhoda and they agreed that everyone in high school was miserable except for two people, the captain of the football team and the head cheerleader. I think our stars would fit that mold nicely. But it was still a good movie.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dear John Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News '21 Jump Street' stars Channing Tatum, Jonah Hi... (Mar '12) Mar '12 FD Up 2
News Wherein Channing Tatum Reenacts His Stripping D... (Mar '10) Mar '12 Gerry 2
Dear John (2010) - spoilers (Sep '11) Sep '11 chris 1
News Dear John (Jun '10) Jun '11 Batseba 3
What is this song?? (Mar '11) Mar '11 Joseph Edwards 1
News Hollywood action man left cold and scarred by f... (Feb '11) Feb '11 many places 1
News 'Ten Year' shooting begins in Albuquerque (Jan '11) Jan '11 Physician 2
More from around the web