MOVIE REVIEW: "300" is a well-made, i...

MOVIE REVIEW: "300" is a well-made, if gory action flick

There are 5 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Mar 12, 2007, titled MOVIE REVIEW: "300" is a well-made, if gory action flick. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

Rated R After delivering the surprisingly enjoyable "Dawn of the Dead" remake three years ago, director Zack Snyder jumps back behind the camera to adapt graphic novelist Frank Miller's swords-and-sandals epic ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

GoSeeIt

United States

#1 Mar 12, 2007
"But for all the clang and clatter, "300" never quite elevates itself above a solid action film, leaving other period piece action-dramas like "Gladiator" or "Troy" to take the dramatic steps. Make no mistake, "300" is all about action."
While this rings true, one must examine the Spartan culture to realize that drama in the story of a Spartan is very hard. This is the Greek city state that, unlike all the others, had no theater or learning culture. In addition, they did not lend themselves to memorable oration (Laconic was is derived from Laconia the province that Sparta was capital of). All in all, I found it to be a wonderfull retelling of the penultimate example of heroism and sacrifice for a freedom and your way of life.
Blah

Knoxville, TN

#2 Mar 14, 2007
I thought this was going to be a movie about bowling.
greg

Philippines

#3 Mar 15, 2007
i watched 300 last sunday night and it was truly a fun film. despite its violence, the movie portrays a mild yet enduring characteristics of the ancient spartan warriors. though the movie undoubtedly stirs up wild but reasonable reactions from Iranians as it is a historically flawed portrayal of their ancient society, somehow the movie should be viewed in a different perspective. That is in a deeper view of what a warrior should be...

What then a warrior should be? Being a warrior does not solely refer to warriors who stab, break bones, and amputate enemies. We, human beings are warriors in different battlefields. And what captivates me in the film is the emphasis of joy in a noble death. The 300 spartans, despite their handful numbers, never fear death. It is because they all know well that such mission of going against hundreds of thousands strong men, though futile, see a much greater importance than their lives. That they are willing to sacrifice their lives for the sake of duty and much higher purpose. With this noble goal, a noble death is a most welcome reward...

we, as ive said above, are warriors in our own battlefields. we fought war everyday in our lives because life is none other than but an endless battle. Living a life in accordance with duty and on the context of death is the true purpose of life.
Chris

Manchester, TN

#4 Mar 21, 2007
This seems to be the type of movie that I can wait for on DVD. While I appreciate CGI, I am not a big fan of movies that go into overkill with it. The skies are the color of oatmeal? What is that all about?
Barbara

Parkesburg, PA

#5 Apr 22, 2007
I will wait :O)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dawn of the Dead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chained Unbound by Anchor Bay on DVD and Blu-ray (Jul '12) Jul '12 Samantha 1
News Zack Snyder Is A Busy Man. An Adaptation of Mar... (Jul '06) Jan '12 Will Dockery 4
News 'Sucker Punch' Stars Love Playing It Tough - @ ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 julie 1
News Even Zombies have to go to School (Mar '11) Mar '11 Mohamed Saido B D... 1
News Zombie mania! Pick your favorite flick (Nov '10) Nov '10 monster70 1
News Eli Roth picks five favorite horror films (Oct '10) Oct '10 redoak37 1
News 5 most favorite horror movies, according to Eli... (Oct '10) Oct '10 hosa 2
More from around the web