Sadie the Scottie wins Westminster af...

Sadie the Scottie wins Westminster after dog show protest

There are 15 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 16, 2010, titled Sadie the Scottie wins Westminster after dog show protest. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Sadie the Scottish terrier won America's top dog show Tuesday night, and that was pretty predictable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

I vote rubber room

Plymouth, MN

#1 Feb 17, 2010
Another reason the supporters of PETA have to get serious about getting some mental help, everything a person reads about that whacked out group of misfits, would differently point to the fact they need either mental help or they should be confined to a rubber room.

“it takes a lot to laugh”

Since: Oct 09

St Paul

#2 Feb 17, 2010
PETA is becoming synonamous with stupid.
Javier

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 17, 2010
if anything, there should have been protests regarding the hyper-obesity of most of the handlers! Watching these giant pig carcasses run around with these beautiful dogs is almost disgusting. Actually, it is VERY disgusting! The pig whose dog won looked more like a 5-man tent with shoes.

And the announcer?! I think he must have been drinking. Every other call he made had to be corrected, or was outright wrong. I hope the AKC makes some changes next year and imposes strict weight limits on the handlers, and NO alchohol service in the announcers booth!

PETA members are just plain confused. None of them know what they want, or why they protest. They should have been maced and beaten after that interuption....unless they were there because they thought the pigs that were handling the dogs were being mistreated somehow...
Woodyboy

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Feb 17, 2010
Would some reader that knows this dog show stuff explain to me why retrievers (Golden/Lab) have never won at Westminister even though they remain year-after-year among the top 5 favored dogs for dog owners?
Rin Tin Tin

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Feb 17, 2010
Woodyboy wrote:
Would some reader that knows this dog show stuff explain to me why retrievers (Golden/Lab) have never won at Westminister even though they remain year-after-year among the top 5 favored dogs for dog owners?
For the same reason you dont see Fluffy the Poodle at Game Fair.
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 17, 2010
The results of professional dog shows are as predetermined as human pairs figure skating. Contestants earn reputations over time and the judges simply rubber stamp what the sport's experts are expecting to win.

This dog had won virtually all the other prizes on the circuit this year and so it was simply expected she would get this one too. The judges could have mailed it in.

The reason golden retrievers and labs never win is because they're not flashy or unusual.
Bob the Bilderberg

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 17, 2010
Rin Tin Tin wrote:
<quoted text>
For the same reason you dont see Fluffy the Poodle at Game Fair.
Actually, standard poodles are not only great hunters but sled dogs too.

http://home.gci.net/~poodlesleddog/running.PN...
fruit bat alert

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 17, 2010
Javier wrote:
if anything, there should have been protests regarding the hyper-obesity of most of the handlers! Watching these giant pig carcasses run around with these beautiful dogs is almost disgusting. Actually, it is VERY disgusting! The pig whose dog won looked more like a 5-man tent with shoes.
And the announcer?! I think he must have been drinking. Every other call he made had to be corrected, or was outright wrong. I hope the AKC makes some changes next year and imposes strict weight limits on the handlers, and NO alchohol service in the announcers booth!
PETA members are just plain confused. None of them know what they want, or why they protest. They should have been maced and beaten after that interuption....unless they were there because they thought the pigs that were handling the dogs were being mistreated somehow...
Well that may have been a little harsh, but i tend to agree. Is it a requirement that dog handlers be frumpy? Certainly there could be better choices of attire for these handlers to wear in front of millions of viewers! We used to have a prized pure breed dog and having gone through the whole breeder process, I now understand how quirky the dog world is. Our breeder was a complete nut, but he knew his dogs. The movie Best in Show was dead on accurate depicting the strangeness of it all. We commented on the announcer possibly or most likely being drunk, too. Flipping between that dog show and the Olympics mens' figure skating....enough said about quirky!
fruit bat alert

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 17, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
The results of professional dog shows are as predetermined as human pairs figure skating. Contestants earn reputations over time and the judges simply rubber stamp what the sport's experts are expecting to win.
This dog had won virtually all the other prizes on the circuit this year and so it was simply expected she would get this one too. The judges could have mailed it in.
The reason golden retrievers and labs never win is because they're not flashy or unusual.
You are completely correct about the results being predetermined. No surprises this year.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Feb 17, 2010
Woodyboy wrote:
Golden Retrievers and Labs make excellent pets. On average, they are great family dogs...they'll hunt, they're good with kids, their friendly. The drawback on the dog shows are the fact that they don't have an attitude...they happily run around the track adoring their handler.

The judges, on the other hand, generally prefer the Terrier group. A bit more attitude which comes off as more independent, more show, more personality. Nothing wrong with the Labs and Retrievers...you can give them a big hug, but it's not what the judges are looking for.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Feb 17, 2010
The protesters are way off base with the mutt thing. Quality dogs shows are a showcase for quality breeders. The whole idea of being able to select the right dog for the situation is quality pure bred dogs.

It's the puppy mills they need to protest, and the dog owners who refuse to neuter their dogs...not to mention the hobby breeder who cross breeds dogs and calls them designer dogs (usually sold in malls).

A mutt can be a great dog, but a quality pure bred from a reputable breeder has the best chance to be what you expect...just ask my Bichon (Gus).
Chris Mankey

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Feb 17, 2010
Maybe the PETA people should consider starting their own mutt show. I've seen a few female PETA members. They might out-compete the mutts and take home the prize.
Woodyboy

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 17, 2010
Mad Dog Gus wrote:
<quoted text>
Golden Retrievers and Labs make excellent pets. On average, they are great family dogs...they'll hunt, they're good with kids, their friendly. The drawback on the dog shows are the fact that they don't have an attitude...they happily run around the track adoring their handler.
The judges, on the other hand, generally prefer the Terrier group. A bit more attitude which comes off as more independent, more show, more personality. Nothing wrong with the Labs and Retrievers...you can give them a big hug, but it's not what the judges are looking for.
Thank you. I think your response is on target - like it or not.
I strongly dislike PETA

Augusta, GA

#14 Feb 17, 2010
I want to start a "GAL" faction (Get A Life) and show up at every PETA rally event and just walk around following them....which I realize would be kind of ironic about the "getting a life" part but it might sink in a little bit to those losers
PETA

Augusta, GA

#15 Feb 17, 2010
These are the same idiots that wanted to replace the groundhog with a robot version (even though that groundhog is treated better and more famous than 90% of America). Haven't they ever seen Maximum Overdrive? I Robot? Terminator? Chopping Mall?(this movie is gawd awful but so much fun to watch...rent and thank/hate me later)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Saturday: UT Music Faculty Concera (Aug '10) Aug '10 Couth 2
News Berkshire County Real Estate Transactions (Mar '10) Mar '10 sec8foreveryone 1
News Boglioli claims self-defense (Jun '09) Jun '09 ABC 1
News Stork Report (Feb '08) Feb '08 Donna Bergener 1
News Drury Lane Oakbrook's 'Goodbye Girl' generally ... (Feb '08) Feb '08 bob 1
More from around the web