God was behind Big Bang, universe no accident: Pope

Jan 6, 2011 Read more: Vancouver Sun 7

Watch Friday's Sun for reviews of Country Strong, starring Gwyneth Paltrow as a country singer, and Season of the Witch, in which a knight of the Crusades and a fellow soldier must transport a woman accused of being a witch to a remote monastery.

Read more

Since: Jan 07

Phoenix AZ

#1 Jan 6, 2011
The Pope should not be so quick to speak on this topic. One never knews when scientists will find a better theory and change. It has happened through all of history. If this should occur, the Pope will have put his foot into his infallible mouth once more.

“To love and be loved”

Since: Jun 08

right here, right now...

#2 Jan 6, 2011
Hey, that sounds very interesting what the Pope is talking about...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#3 Jan 6, 2011
We have evidence for the current scientific theories.

There is no evidence of anything supernatural of any kind,ever.

If science works for space travel,machines,math,medicine, evolution etc, then it works for cosmology/astrology and the Big Bang theory too.It doesn't stop working because some people don't like what it says.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#4 Jan 7, 2011
3:02 pm, Friday, January 7, 2011:
RE: God was behind Big Bang, universe no accident: Pope
..... Just as you and I are, the pope is entitled to his opinions based on (even incorrect?) information available to him. If he is wrong, blame the originators of that wrong information, not the pope, nor God who is (wrongly?) believed to communicate with the pope and tell him what to do and what NOT to do, perhaps even what to say.
..... Science and the scientific methods were born long after the many (still existing?) beliefs and explanations existed. In the old days anything not done by humans, animals or plants had to be done, so the explanations went, by "someone or something" (God or gods, etc.), and the many belief systems, explanations and speculations were born to explain the many "automatic" happenings of nature.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Jan 7, 2011
That's one reason I enjoyed Catholic school for 10 years. As Catholics, you were free to believe Genesis as straight reportage. You were also perfectly free to accept the scientific versions of both the Big Bang and evolution, as long as you also accepted each coming from the hand of God.

For me, it was one of the moments when science and religion were successfully reconciled.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#6 Jan 7, 2011
Fantastic. Straight from His Holiness The Astrophysicist. Where did he pull this "information" from? Was it the same place the RCC got Purgatory & Limbo from? Or did god send him a faster-than-light communication from beyond the universe's edge this morning?

Sorry to point it out, but acceptance of the Big Bang and evolution means there was no Adam & Eve, and therefore no "original sin", and therefore no need for salvation. A man named Jesus (if he even existed) was crucified with no purposeful consequences for humankind. The scientific view of a naturalistic universe does not allow for the superstitions of religion.

“I hate watermelon!”

Since: Dec 10

Stroudsburg, PA

#7 Jan 8, 2011
SFer wrote:
That's one reason I enjoyed Catholic school for 10 years. As Catholics, you were free to believe Genesis as straight reportage. You were also perfectly free to accept the scientific versions of both the Big Bang and evolution, as long as you also accepted each coming from the hand of God.
For me, it was one of the moments when science and religion were successfully reconciled.
I like that attitude :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Country Strong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds intercepted 722,000 illegal immigrants las... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Ron in Az 4
News Carrie Hassler: Southeast Tennessee's leading l... (Nov '13) Dec '13 Care less 31
News Kirsten Dunst's Boyfriend Is An Ass (Jul '13) Jul '13 Daze 1
News Gwyneth Paltrow's 'strange' life with Brad Pitt (Dec '10) Jul '11 RMQuinn37 3
News 'The Little Mermaid' To Get A Dark Remake (May '11) May '11 Stewie 3
News Gwyneth Paltrow: Wild in the 'Country' (Dec '10) Mar '11 dave 5
News The Worst Celebrity Singers (Mar '11) Mar '11 She Bangs 3
More from around the web