Kent Kaiser: Good work on election re...

Kent Kaiser: Good work on election reform, legislators. Now, le...

There are 10 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 22, 2010, titled Kent Kaiser: Good work on election reform, legislators. Now, le.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Last fall, Center of the American Experiment issued a report recommending 15 reforms of our state's election system, informed largely by experiences from the 2008 U.S. Senate election recount.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Lewis Sinclair

Burnsville, MN

#1 Apr 22, 2010
Sure, Kent. I'll show you mine if you show me your's.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Apr 22, 2010
Another liberal shibboleth obliterated.

"...What photo ID opponents fail to recognize is that people who lack confidence in the election system see no reason to show up and vote. There is plenty of evidence to support this fact, from across the globe in countries where elections are known to be sham. Conversely, when citizens have confidence in an election system, they are more likely to participate in it.

"In addition, former President Jimmy Carter has said that requiring photo ID at the polls will help minority voting, instead of deterring it, echoing a sentiment expressed by Andrew Young, another Democrat and the African-American former mayor of Atlanta. Having a photo ID is a tool of empowerment for operating in everyday life. Certainly Minnesota lawmakers are clever enough to find ways to eliminate any potential barriers that an exceedingly small percentage of citizens might have in obtaining a photo ID in order to vote.

"In poll after poll, the overwhelming majority of people support instituting a photo ID requirement to access a ballot, including 78 percent of people polled by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press in 2006 and 75 percent of people polled informally by the Minnesota Legislature at the State Fair in 2001. Furthermore, support for photo ID at the polls is bipartisan: In the Pew poll, 71 percent of Democrats, 77 percent of Independents, and 86 percent of Republicans supported this measure."
LGA Larry

Monroe, LA

#3 Apr 22, 2010
Yet most Dims in office right now are on record to thwart the will of the people... people like Keith “X” Ellison (on the national level) and and Representative Carlos Mariani(on the local level) oppose requiring a state photo ID to vote.

I would bet they also oppose getting rid of the law allowing “vouching” for an alleged friend or neighbor’s residency status to vote.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#4 Apr 22, 2010
Lux et Veritas wrote:
Another liberal shibboleth obliterated.
"...What photo ID opponents fail to recognize is that people who lack confidence in the election system see no reason to show up and vote. There is plenty of evidence to support this fact, from across the globe in countries where elections are known to be sham. Conversely, when citizens have confidence in an election system, they are more likely to participate in it.
"In addition, former President Jimmy Carter has said that requiring photo ID at the polls will help minority voting, instead of deterring it, echoing a sentiment expressed by Andrew Young, another Democrat and the African-American former mayor of Atlanta. Having a photo ID is a tool of empowerment for operating in everyday life. Certainly Minnesota lawmakers are clever enough to find ways to eliminate any potential barriers that an exceedingly small percentage of citizens might have in obtaining a photo ID in order to vote.
"In poll after poll, the overwhelming majority of people support instituting a photo ID requirement to access a ballot, including 78 percent of people polled by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press in 2006 and 75 percent of people polled informally by the Minnesota Legislature at the State Fair in 2001. Furthermore, support for photo ID at the polls is bipartisan: In the Pew poll, 71 percent of Democrats, 77 percent of Independents, and 86 percent of Republicans supported this measure."
Aside from other concerns, who's going to pay for this system? Requiring the voter pay for it would amount to a poll tax which has been found to be unconstitutional.

Transporting elderly and infirm voters to a registration point would be extremely costly.

With people moving every 5 years on average, keeping the system current would require an army of data-entry people.

Requiring voter ID means instituting a whole new expensive bureaucracy to address a problem that has not been shown to exist.

Voter ID would
Student1987

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 22, 2010
Excellent insight and analysis of an increasingly important issue. A great point was made in pointing out how often we use our photo identification cards in everyday life and for activities far less important than casting a vote. I will surely be questioning candidates this election season on this issue and supporting those who take it seriously and will work for its implementation. I encourage my fellow Minnesota voters to do the same.
Lewis Sinclair

Burnsville, MN

#6 Apr 23, 2010
I stopped by at the Center for the American Experience and asked Kent if I could see his (though he certainly seems to want to see mine) and he turned out to be very shy. Oh, well. At least I tried.
Gary Gray

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Apr 23, 2010
This issue is crucial for every single Minnesota voter! You hit the nail right on the head Kent Kaiser. After the Franken/Coleman election, voting without a photo ID should not reassure anyone that their vote hasn't been negated by dead voters of double counting.
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Apr 23, 2010
Gary Gray wrote:
This issue is crucial for every single Minnesota voter! You hit the nail right on the head Kent Kaiser. After the Franken/Coleman election, voting without a photo ID should not reassure anyone that their vote hasn't been negated by dead voters of double counting.
Guess which party's doing the pushing?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274... -- "Wisconsin and the Voter Fraud Agenda"

"An attempt to hijack the state's election laws and open the door for voter fraud failed at the last minute this week in Wisconsin's legislature. But threats to ballot integrity continue in other states, and Congress may rush to pass ill-conceived legislation this year that would only sow confusion and increase the potential for chaos on a national level.

"Wisconsin's story shows how high the stakes are. Late in March, a 72-page bill was suddenly introduced and rushed forward with only abbreviated hearings. The bill would have given "nationally recognized" community organizing groups access to the state driver's license database to encourage voter turnout. After the infamous registration scandals involving Acorn in 2008, this was clearly a strange priority. Requests for an absentee ballot in a single election would also become permanent (without requiring a legitimate reason, such as infirmity), and the ballots would be automatically mailed out in future elections.

"Coercion and chicanery are made much easier by the excessive use of absentee ballots. Most of the elections thrown out by courtsMiami, Florida's mayoral election in 1998, the East Chicago, Indiana's mayor's race in 2005involved fraudulent absentee votes.

"Three decades ago absentee and early ballots were only 5% of all votes cast nationwide. In 2008, they exceeded 25%. Wisconsin's bill would also have allowed voters to register on the Internet without supplying a signaturethus removing a valuable protection against identity theft and election fraud.

In 2004, John Kerry won Wisconsin over George W. Bush by 11,380 votes out of 2.5 million cast. After allegations of fraud surfaced, the Milwaukee police department's Special Investigative Unit conducted a probe. Its February 2008 report found that from 4,600 to 5,300 more votes were counted in Milwaukee than the number of voters recorded as having cast ballots. Absentee ballots were cast by people living elsewhere; ineligible felons not only voted but worked at the polls; transient college students cast improper votes; and homeless voters possibly voted more than once.

"But Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold, a Democrat, has introduced federal legislation to mandate same-day registration in every state, claiming the system has worked well in his state. Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York is readying a bill to override the election laws of all 50 states and require universal voter registrationwhich would automatically register anyone on key government lists. This is a move guaranteed to create duplicate registrations, register some illegal aliens, and sow confusion.

"We are in danger of forgetting the lessons of the 2000 recount debacle in Florida. Election laws should be clear, simple, applied equally, and balance ease of voting with the need for ballot integrity. A unanimous Supreme Court warned about the danger of loose election laws when it vacated a Ninth Circuit opinion, which had enjoined the use of Arizona's new voter ID law on the grounds it would disenfranchise voters.

"The court made the obvious point that "disenfranchisement" is a two-way street. Fraud, it noted in Gonzales v. Arizona (2006), "drives honest citizens out of the democratic process....[V]oters who fear their legitimate votes will be outweighed by fraudulent ones will feel disenfranchised."
Lux et Veritas

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 25, 2010
Student1987 wrote:
Excellent insight and analysis of an increasingly important issue. A great point was made in pointing out how often we use our photo identification cards in everyday life and for activities far less important than casting a vote. I will surely be questioning candidates this election season on this issue and supporting those who take it seriously and will work for its implementation. I encourage my fellow Minnesota voters to do the same.
A letter writer (and a state representative) adds more reasons for photo ID.

"I appreciated Kent Kaiser's op-ed, "Good work on election reform, legislators. Now, let's turn to photo ID" (April 22).

"Instituting photo ID for voting would not only increase election integrity, it would also allow us to streamline and modernize our elections.

"Election technology that allows for quick and accurate election registration, Election Day check-in and election administration is already being used in other states. The technology relies on interface with a driver's license or state-issued photo ID. Minnesota-based Datacard Corporation makes some of this technology. It is similar to technology that we use to issue fishing and hunting licenses in Minnesota.

"By swiping a photo ID through a card reader to register to vote, it would be possible to fill in the fields in the state's voter registration system and eliminate the data-entry errors that are commonplace with the current pen-and-paper registration system.

"Plus, an automated card reader at the sign-in table on Election Day would eliminate the need to line up by parts of the alphabet, would conserve tons of paper currently used to create voter rosters and would speed up the lines. It would also save county governments tens of thousands of dollars in post-election data-entry costs."

Dan Severson

The writer represents District 14A in the Minnesota House.
Deadeye Dick

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 25, 2010
This is a typical Republican response to a problem that has not been proven to exist. More bureaucracy and spend, spend, spend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New College Website (Aug '09) 2 hr C Kersey 2
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 4 hr Dada 9,738
News Kentucky residents sentenced on steroid charges (Jul '10) Apr 21 george 6
Higher Education Colleges and Universities. (Jul '09) Apr 15 C Kersey 2
News Why is America still freakishly obsessed with J... (Aug '16) Jan '18 Let It Snow 11
News MI Vietnam vet is Trumpa s 1st Medal of Honor r... (Jun '17) Jun '17 planecaptain 1
News Scholars: 'Liberal' reputation of 9th Circuit o... (Feb '17) Feb '17 whats the scoop 10