Letters: Obama trying

Letters: Obama trying

There are 95 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 7, 2010, titled Letters: Obama trying. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Obama came to Fort Bliss to talk to the troops. Many of our elected officials, or those running, were not there.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
JDC

Copperas Cove, TX

#81 Sep 21, 2010
SuperMex wrote:
<quoted text>Brilliant suggestion - you've just provided a description of every third world country on earth.
And yet they are all large US government programs that have been a waste of taxpayer money and you now want to add healthcare to that long list of failed programs.
Good move on your part not addressing anything in my post. Facts weren't on your side.
SuperMex

Saint Louis, MO

#82 Sep 21, 2010
Rey wrote:
Just a Hint is correct in his points and is just as concerned about healthcare as you are. Have you ever lived in Europe, not visit, and see their system in real time ? You wont like what you would see. In no way or shape do US waiting times exceed European or Canadian times. If that was the case Canadians would stay home.
Europe gives their citizens great benefits, if you dont mind a 60 per cent tax rate or like the Greeks, going broke.
The Canadian Tourists that I mentioned, were not all wealthy, just common folk trying to get essential medical treatment without having to develop a more serious health issue because of waiting..
By the way, AMA supported Obamba's healthcare so Hint's information is not some proganda.
AMA support for the reform came AFTER the public option was dropped. The loss of the public option basically gutted the reform. No matter how you try to twist the facts, the cost for health care in the rest of the industrialized world is one-half the cost in our patch-work system. Our infant mortality rates are worse and our life expectancy is shorter. Our system leaves 40% of americans with out adequate health care - a public policy nightmare.
SuperMex

Saint Louis, MO

#83 Sep 21, 2010
JDC wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet they are all large US government programs that have been a waste of taxpayer money and you now want to add healthcare to that long list of failed programs.
Good move on your part not addressing anything in my post. Facts weren't on your side.
How do you address nonsense? You want to strip every social program this country (and every other industrialized nation) has achieved over the last 100 years. Welfare programs are, if nothing else, an insurance policy against crime and chaos - maybe you don't realize that people turn violent when they don't have food and health care.

There are plenty 3rd world countries that have no social programs - apply for visa and spend some time there.
Rey

AOL

#84 Sep 21, 2010
Supermex, there's no twisting of the facts. You accused Hint of using bs from the AMA and biolat? The AMA supported the healthcare bill.

1/2 the costs? People pay an income tax of 60 per cent.

The healthcare bill is leaving 4 million people without any coverage,that's a good bill? When your beef is that there people without insurance in this country.

These are facts, I believe we do need change, but only with a logical and well thought out plan, not some rush job, just to pass something.

There are no studies that indicate a lack of welfare or lack of insurance lowers the crime rates. The reality of the matter is other countries make it a requirement that people do public service for the check, according to their ability, not stay home waiting for a check. Some these countries, the people know they have only themselves and work for themselves.

The situation is much different here, but that is another topix.
Leslie

Spokane, WA

#85 Sep 21, 2010
SuperMex, I agree with Rey's comments and will add that if you think welfare stops people from becoming violent, you should think again. Do you know what happened in Greece this year? You want to talk about violence and crime, make everyone completely dependent on the government for everything, and then watch what happens when the government can't sustain the funds necessary to care for all of those people. You want to see some riots in the streets? This health care bill has the potential (along with other programs of entitlement and bail outs, etc.) to run this country's finances into the ground. Do you think ANYONE but the well connected is going to get adequate health care when they've spent all the money? Ask Greece how that's working out for them.
thinkaboutit

United States

#86 Sep 21, 2010
mimi wrote:
Obama Trying? He is trying all of us. I am sick and tired of all the finder pointing that this economy happened before Obama. As soon he took office the economy went down hill. All the money that has been thrown at the economy has not created jobs. the money being thrown out here is for us and our great grandchildren to pay and nothing to show for it. Yes I will blame Obama and all his little followers that are doing nothing to take care of the economic situation. Spend Spend Spend, that is not the soultion, spend so there will be more corruption those are the people that are getting most of the monies. Cities are using the money to do stupid things in their cities, while the working people pay the price. Obama the way I see it is not trying. Quit makeing excuses and get everybody back to work. Cut the taxes and really help. www.elpasograpevine.com
I know it's hard sometimes but you need to look at history take a really close look forget what party you are all for and look at the facts I think when you see the actual visual of how much each party has actually added to the deficit it will be an eye opener. Each party spends money in a different way no matter what they say they spend it. Stop being biased and look at the facts.
SuperMex

United States

#87 Sep 25, 2010
Rey wrote:
Supermex, there's no twisting of the facts. You accused Hint of using bs from the AMA and biolat? The AMA supported the healthcare bill.
1/2 the costs? People pay an income tax of 60 per cent.
The healthcare bill is leaving 4 million people without any coverage,that's a good bill? When your beef is that there people without insurance in this country.
These are facts, I believe we do need change, but only with a logical and well thought out plan, not some rush job, just to pass something.
There are no studies that indicate a lack of welfare or lack of insurance lowers the crime rates. The reality of the matter is other countries make it a requirement that people do public service for the check, according to their ability, not stay home waiting for a check. Some these countries, the people know they have only themselves and work for themselves.
The situation is much different here, but that is another topix.
AMA supported reform only AFTER the public option was removed - the most important cost control element of the original proposal.

1/2 cost has nothing to do with income tax. I'm not referring to out-of-pocket cost. It's the average cost to the economy, or the cost of medical care regardless of whose paying. It's overpriced in the US -$6,000 per person per year vs.$3,000 per person in the rest of the industrilized world.

The orginal proposal had universal coverage, but that was also scrapped to pick up conservative support. This removal from the original reform proposal sucks just as much as the removal of the public option.

Any moron could figure out that there's a direct relationship between poverty and crime rate, so I'm not even going to address your welfare comment.
SuperMex

United States

#88 Sep 25, 2010
Leslie wrote:
SuperMex, I agree with Rey's comments and will add that if you think welfare stops people from becoming violent, you should think again. Do you know what happened in Greece this year? You want to talk about violence and crime, make everyone completely dependent on the government for everything, and then watch what happens when the government can't sustain the funds necessary to care for all of those people. You want to see some riots in the streets? This health care bill has the potential (along with other programs of entitlement and bail outs, etc.) to run this country's finances into the ground. Do you think ANYONE but the well connected is going to get adequate health care when they've spent all the money? Ask Greece how that's working out for them.
Gross oversimplification of economic crisis in Greece. Their basic problem is they over extended due to cheap and easy credit (sound familiar)? Can you say "deficit spending" and "national debt crisis". Both Greece and US have been on an out-of-control spending free fall since 2000. Greece's economy however is more fragile than ours, so obviously they're suffering the side effects more than we are. I haven't heard of any credible analysis of the health reforms that pulls Greece into the mix.
Sniper308

Wimberley, TX

#89 Sep 25, 2010
SuperMex...at some point you run out of other peoples money.
Rey

AOL

#90 Sep 25, 2010
Thank you snaiper, no fancy logic required.

Supermex, you hurt your position when reverting to insults, which is a clear indication that you have no justification of your points.

So that doesnt surprise me. While there is some connection between,obviously, crime and poverty, there are NO studies that welfare is a cure for crime, which was YOUR point. Too much of a stretch even for you. Not everyone commits crimes because theyre poor. Ever hear of sociopaths, kleptos, white collar, etc.
SuperMex

Goodyear, AZ

#91 Sep 25, 2010
Rey wrote:
Thank you snaiper, no fancy logic required.
Supermex, you hurt your position when reverting to insults, which is a clear indication that you have no justification of your points.
So that doesnt surprise me. While there is some connection between,obviously, crime and poverty, there are NO studies that welfare is a cure for crime, which was YOUR point. Too much of a stretch even for you. Not everyone commits crimes because theyre poor. Ever hear of sociopaths, kleptos, white collar, etc.
The pro's and con's of welfare (including the effects of the "war on poverty" and the more recent "welfare reform act") are too broad for this post. But on the most basic level, anyone without the means to obtain food will commit a crime to avoid starving. That's basic human nature. That's why a certain level of 'welfare' is required as an insurance policy against crime, even the US.
SuperMex

Goodyear, AZ

#92 Sep 25, 2010
Sniper308 wrote:
SuperMex...at some point you run out of other peoples money.
That's right, so why aren't you worried about the $400 billion that's spent every year on domestic pork military projects that the generals don't even want. What about $30 billion spent a year on farmer subsidies/welfare. What about the billions spent on earmarks, debt interest, foreign aid, etc. It goes on and on, yet you're against real health care reform that could reduce cost. The US spends a whopping 18% of its GDP on health care, by far the highest is the world, yet our infant mortality rate is 46nd (Cuba is 44th), and our life expectancy is 38th (Cuba is 37th).
Rey

AOL

#93 Sep 25, 2010
While I agree soem people will commit crimes to obtain starvation, that is not the main or major motivator.

Back East, I helped many a homeless person, not one had committed a crime. The drug/alcohol addicts had, to support a habit, but those were few as well.

I have seen or heard of young children being motivated to become criminals because they were raised in an environment that taught them, if you want just take it. Also because they wanted the fancy life and money the easy way. Granted some lacked an education or skills and saw crime as the only way out. But, those are choices, there are programs to assist with training and jobs.
Murray

El Paso, TX

#94 Nov 1, 2014
Texas Grandma wrote:
DEMOCRATS HAVE HAD CONTROL OF THE HOUSE/SENATE...where have you been. Yeah Obama is trying...to take us down hook line and sinker....wake up America...because the America under Obama is a weak, broke lonely power! We are no longer the powerful nation we once were....November can not come soon enough, it may take a while but we will once again become a super power to be reckoned with not apologized for!!
This late but we will never be the super power, we once was, so get over it
huey gins

El Paso, TX

#95 Nov 2, 2014
Murray wrote:
<quoted text>
This late but we will never be the super power, we once was, so get over it
He's trying his butt off. He's working his buns off for the people. The Republicans love to say no and block everything. He's a tireless worker on behalf of everything righteous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why is America still freakishly obsessed with J... Aug 13 Sheriff Wydell 6
News Guelph Hydro Announces New Board Members Jul 29 why no Halton info 1
News Former first lady Nancy Reagan dies at 94 in Ca... Mar '16 Electra41 1
Avenged Sevenfold - A Little Piece Of Heaven - ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 BHH 1
News Lincoln Chafee hits Hillary Clinton on war, tru... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Jeff Brightone 1
News Pittsfield candidates join fray for city clerk,... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Praxis33 2
News Hillary Clinton emails: Did she do anything wro... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Le Duped 92
More from around the web