$4,000,000 Upgrade to College Drive

$4,000,000 Upgrade to College Drive

There are 26 comments on the ISurfHopkins story from Jul 9, 2010, titled $4,000,000 Upgrade to College Drive. In it, ISurfHopkins reports that:

MADISONVILLE, KY With survey crews out putting up stakes, residents of College Drive wanted to know "What are you doing to our street?" A meeting with Highway Department officials and State Senator Jerry Rhoads was requested and held Wednesday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ISurfHopkins.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ms Mayberry

Madisonville, KY

#22 Nov 1, 2010
Does anybody know the reason they widened the road from Walmart to Anton? I thought that maybe there was a big factory going to be built out that way, but nothing so far?

j_e_s_s_e

“You Need A”

Since: Jan 12

Government Program

#23 Jan 11, 2012
We got this upgrade through a government program...
collegedr_reside nt

Hopkinsville, KY

#24 Jan 12, 2012
I live on College Dr and have attended the meetings concerning the road. Its not $4 million, try $2.5 million. There is an estimated 1800 cars that travel that road everyday. There are probably 500 houses around there and there's not a lick of sidewalk anywhere. Its more of a safety issue, not luxury. My wife and I are by no means "rich". And what did we do to you to deserve to be called names? We simply live in a house, work hard, and pay our bills. I'm sorry if it offends you that we like to have nice things. People disrespect us for no reason. I have to pick up trash everyday so I can mow. If you have a problem, go to the state and leave the college drive residents alone.
keyboard commando

Toledo, OH

#25 Jan 12, 2012
Being as property taxes are based on the property values, I would bet those getting a sidewalk fund the bulk of the state taxes that will be funding the project.

How much in taxes do the government housing pay and they have sidewalks and street lights.
collegedr_reside nt

Hopkinsville, KY

#27 Jan 16, 2012
Dear Keyboard Commando, I believe that would be incorrect. The project, if it ever happens, would be done on state property that they already own. Its already marked off and has been since they contructed the entire road 20 years ago or whenever it was done. So residential property taxes would have nothing to do with it. And really, the whole project has nothing to do with the residents, its about the college and trying to promote curb appeal for the school to attract more students. More students mean more revenue for the college and community. But if it makes you feel better to believe that the college drive residents pay the bulk of the bill then so be it.
keyboard commando

Toledo, OH

#28 Jan 16, 2012
collegedr_resident wrote:
Dear Keyboard Commando, I believe that would be incorrect. The project, if it ever happens, would be done on state property that they already own. Its already marked off and has been since they contructed the entire road 20 years ago or whenever it was done. So residential property taxes would have nothing to do with it. And really, the whole project has nothing to do with the residents, its about the college and trying to promote curb appeal for the school to attract more students. More students mean more revenue for the college and community. But if it makes you feel better to believe that the college drive residents pay the bulk of the bill then so be it.
So all those folks who live in that area pay no taxes to the state.

Please re-read what I posted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 28 min Lawrence Wolf 9,158
News Why is America still freakishly obsessed with J... (Aug '16) Jan '18 Let It Snow 11
News MI Vietnam vet is Trumpa s 1st Medal of Honor r... (Jun '17) Jun '17 planecaptain 1
News Scholars: 'Liberal' reputation of 9th Circuit o... (Feb '17) Feb '17 whats the scoop 10
News Welcome to the Presidential Transition from Hell (Nov '16) Nov '16 o see the light 1
News Guelph Hydro Announces New Board Members (Jul '16) Jul '16 why no Halton info 1
News Former first lady Nancy Reagan dies at 94 in Ca... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Electra41 1
More from around the web