My Pet World: Humans appear to give c...

My Pet World: Humans appear to give cats edge in intelligence department

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 16, 2010, titled My Pet World: Humans appear to give cats edge in intelligence department. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Q. Don't you think it's about time you just came out and told the truth - that cats are smarter than dogs? - H.J., New York City A. Defining intelligence between species is challenging.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Diamond

Lake Elmo, MN

#1 Nov 17, 2010
Ok, here Kitty, sit up. No? Well Kitty, lay down. No? Kitty, roll over. No? Kitty, fetch! Nope, guess not. Kitty, come! Nope, wrong again. Shake hands? Nope. Go outside and do your business. Hmmmm, probably not. Go for a walk? Ha ha ha ha ha!

Since: Aug 08

Minneapolis

#2 Nov 17, 2010
Diamond wrote:
Ok, here Kitty, sit up. No? Well Kitty, lay down. No? Kitty, roll over. No? Kitty, fetch! Nope, guess not. Kitty, come! Nope, wrong again. Shake hands? Nope. Go outside and do your business. Hmmmm, probably not. Go for a walk? Ha ha ha ha ha!
So a species who does what you want is intelligent?

“"Molon Labe"”

Since: Oct 09

North Afghanistan

#3 Nov 17, 2010
Cats are fed, pampered,sleep all day, and are cared for...yet they dont have to do stupid pet tricks, work for a living, fetch ducks or chase deer....and still get humans to clean thier litter box.

They do what they want, when they want, how they want.....

Hows that for a mark of intelligence?
Diamond

Lake Elmo, MN

#4 Nov 17, 2010
Doc Savage wrote:
Cats are fed, pampered,sleep all day, and are cared for...yet they dont have to do stupid pet tricks, work for a living, fetch ducks or chase deer....and still get humans to clean thier litter box.
Sounds like a lot of men I know.
Diamond

Lake Elmo, MN

#5 Nov 17, 2010
Frozen Yogi wrote:
<quoted text>
So a species who does what you want is intelligent?
Not at all, it just proves that you cannot train a cat to do anything except maybe stay off the counter tops and that's by purely negative reinforcement.

“"Molon Labe"”

Since: Oct 09

North Afghanistan

#6 Nov 17, 2010
Diamond wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually...I dont have any problem with that comparison....and I will admit to being intelligent.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#7 Nov 17, 2010
Doc Savage wrote:
You've answered your own question--they're smart enough to train humans on what, where, and when to do things for them.
Garfield

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Nov 17, 2010
Of course we're more intelligent then dogs. Have you SEEN Odie? Now, where's my lasagna?
Cat Lady

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Nov 17, 2010
As the Mama of 4 cats I can tell you that they have me trained very well! They are well fed, play whenever they want, sleep the rest of time, get affection whenever they desire it and have their litter box cleaned every day. In return they give me love, but only when they feel like it. Yes, I'd say they are pretty smart. Either that or I'm pretty dumb!
free in mn

United States

#10 Nov 19, 2010
Dogs have masters.

Cats have staff.
PA2Vegas

Mckeesport, PA

#11 Nov 20, 2010
Diamond wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all, it just proves that you cannot train a cat to do anything except maybe stay off the counter tops and that's by purely negative reinforcement.
I have a cat that will NOT stay off the countertops, but I trained her to fetch. Actually, I think she trained me, to know when she wants me to throw the ball. Everyday, when I sit down to blowdry my hair, she comes in and looks around for the ball. I get up and go get one. I throw it and she brings it back. Its actually quite cute and if Im in a hurry and dont want to go get one, then I feel bad, so yeah, I think she trained me, cuz I always go get one. Its a ritual now. I love my pets!

Since: Jan 10

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Nov 20, 2010
Diamond wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds more like a welfare recipient.

Since: May 09

Mounds Park, St Paul

#13 Nov 20, 2010
Cat Lady wrote:
As the Mama of 4 cats I can tell you that they have me trained very well! They are well fed, play whenever they want, sleep the rest of time, get affection whenever they desire it and have their litter box cleaned every day. In return they give me love, but only when they feel like it. Yes, I'd say they are pretty smart. Either that or I'm pretty dumb!
You may be less rascally than your kitties but stupider? Never. They want you thinking that way.

Our two never seem to have a problem being demanding - but when I'm sick or dispirited (and need some serious purring), they always make sure at least one of them is "on-duty."

I'll wake up from a nap - and find one on my head - and the other down at my toes. Our old mutt is loyal and a great nap-taker too, but she prefers sleeping downstairs now. I've got a great pic of Norm napping in his chair, with the dog at his side and the sleeping cats on his lap. All four of them seem to have the same expression!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

College Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) Sep 2 Tm Cln 8,714
News MI Vietnam vet is Trumpa s 1st Medal of Honor r... Jun '17 planecaptain 1
News Why is America still freakishly obsessed with J... (Aug '16) May '17 Tex the MultTasker 8
News Scholars: 'Liberal' reputation of 9th Circuit o... (Feb '17) Feb '17 whats the scoop 10
News Welcome to the Presidential Transition from Hell (Nov '16) Nov '16 o see the light 1
News Guelph Hydro Announces New Board Members (Jul '16) Jul '16 why no Halton info 1
News Former first lady Nancy Reagan dies at 94 in Ca... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Electra41 1
More from around the web