Reynolds: 'Deliverance Rape Scene Went Too Far'

Jan 22, 2008 Full story: ContactMusic.com 9

REYNOLDS: 'DELIVERANCE RAPE SCENE WENT TOO FAR' Hollywood star BURT REYNOLDS has confessed the infamous scene in which NED BEATTY is raped by a hillbilly was excessively graphic. via ContactMusic.com

Full Story
Lesley Palma

Fairfield, Australia

#1 Jan 24, 2008
I agree with Burt Reynolds. Even though I believe it to be an excellent film, I have never been able to watch it all the way through because of that scene. The one time I decided that I would try to watch the film all the way through, it came to that part and I had to turn it off. I am a mother of 2 grown up sons and 6 grandchildren (4 of whom are boys)and from this woman's perspective it makes me physically ill.
Bob Reldon

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#3 Aug 14, 2010
The rape scene is the key to the movie. Otherwise why watch it. I know its difficult to watch but make yourself watch it and you will learn to enjoy it more then you think. Just think about it a Man in the woods raping another man simply on a canoe trip... Makes me want to go camping. Bringing my banjo with me.
Bob Reldon

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#4 Aug 14, 2010
They should have raped Burt instead of Ned it would have been really funny to see the rape scene with Burts wig popping off during the scene and him crying. I think in Deliverance two Burt gets raped Ned Rapes Burt and Jon Voight shaves off that cheesy mustache.
uncle emil

Jamestown, NY

#5 Feb 3, 2011
I think Ned deserved it. After all he was harassing the Mountainn Man, acting like a tough city boy Until the mountain man took his innocense away.
Billy

Flagstaff, AZ

#6 Mar 1, 2011
I heard that the scene was inserted at Ned Beatty's request. Inserted. Got it? Ha, ha, ha.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7 May 29, 2011
I masturbated when I watched that scene.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#8 Jul 27, 2011
Bob Reldon wrote:
They should have raped Burt instead of Ned it would have been really funny to see the rape scene with Burts wig popping off during the scene and him crying. I think in Deliverance two Burt gets raped Ned Rapes Burt and Jon Voight shaves off that cheesy mustache.
Great idea! It would have been hilarious if Voight and Ned pulled a queer train with Burt while the hillbillies watched and pleasured themselves! Afterward, they could have shaved Burt's mustache and taken turns farting in Burt's face and peeing on his hairpiece!
Alan

Gainesville, FL

#9 Dec 22, 2012
I think the rape scene is preety good and realistic on the whole , although I think Beatty would have been fully stripped, and those "panties' go up and down a bit,-continuity- but when he is bent over the log and the pants are pulled down and after the event his is left there with his bare butt exposed was more real than you wouls expect, however I think it was pretty unfair on Beatty,_ I mean if confronted with him or Voight --who would you want to rape or get blown by? I think as a "Star" Voight was protected at the expense of Beatty's Humiliation.
Jeffry

Stafford, VA

#10 Sep 29, 2014
Alan wrote:
I think the rape scene is preety good and realistic on the whole , although I think Beatty would have been fully stripped, and those "panties' go up and down a bit,-continuity- but when he is bent over the log and the pants are pulled down and after the event his is left there with his bare butt exposed was more real than you wouls expect, however I think it was pretty unfair on Beatty,_ I mean if confronted with him or Voight --who would you want to rape or get blown by? I think as a "Star" Voight was protected at the expense of Beatty's Humiliation.
I agree. He would no doubt have been stripped of his 'panties' as well , probably by the mountain man when he's chasing him or 'riding' him.(He actually pulls his undies up for him at one point). Beatty or Bobby actually does remove his 'panties' in the book and just has his shirt on. The mountain man also ends up nude from the waist down in the book and forces him across the log for the without the chase through the woods. I'm sure it was closer to this in the script but all the nudity and more visible sex likely had to be changed. Also Beatty was in his first role so he was definitely the choice to be stripped and sexually humiliated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biography Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is David Oyelowo? Fri Mr Wadi 4
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... Dec 23 Prof 68
REVIEW: Surprising talent creates weird onscree... Dec 20 Bryan Fischer s H... 2
What You Said - Barrymore Back on TV? After Mic... (Oct '06) Dec 18 rajibastard 42,578
Martha Plimpton: 'I don't want to be just famous' Dec 17 Galen 2
'Motown: The Musical' opens at the Orpheum Thea... Dec 17 Tom 2
Is Black History Month still needed? (Feb '14) Dec 16 Lawrence Wolf 63
More from around the web