With 'Scandal,' ABC Targets Black Female Viewers

Apr 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: National Public Radio

On Thursday night, ABC's Scandal will step out as a rarity on TV: a show developed by one of the most powerful black women in TV, Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rimes, depicting a powerful black woman in Washington, D.C.: Olivia Pope, a top-flight crisis manager.

Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Jan 11, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

i'll be watching it and i'm a guy :) kerry washington is sexy idk if i will see it tonight but have it set to record

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

the show seems like it might be good too. hope her boyfriend is white

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Judged:

Well she has definitely sucked enough white dk to deserve her own show, she might own the Hollywood record.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Jack 300 wrote:
Well she has definitely sucked enough white dk to deserve her own show, she might own the Hollywood record.
lol her first white boyfriend was her age, the guy she is with now is old. she is probably with him because he gets her jobs. he's some producer or something i think

“ dreaming of revelry”

Since: Mar 12

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

ill be watching.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Sassykatt wrote:
ill be watching.
i havn't seen a lot of movies with her. the only one was lakeview terrace. there were some things i liked and some things i didn't. the white guy was a btch but it was funny about samuel l jackson being a jealous man and i think they made it out like his wife cheated on him with a white man. and she was pregnant at the end.
Jawga Boy

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

So why do Negroes sit in front of a TV and get mesmerized in a dumb stupor and bitterly complain and whine?

Cut the damned TV OFF!

The Jewish media mongols have cleverly brainwashed the public (especially Negroes),into thinking that they know what's best for them.

Cut the damned "Boob Toob" off, and pick up a book!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Jawga Boy wrote:
So why do Negroes sit in front of a TV and get mesmerized in a dumb stupor and bitterly complain and whine?
Cut the damned TV OFF!
The Jewish media mongols have cleverly brainwashed the public (especially Negroes),into thinking that they know what's best for them.
Cut the damned "Boob Toob" off, and pick up a book!
yeah because books are so much better (sarcasm)

i know it's all the jews stuff on tv but some shows and movies i like. i will like this one i think. as long as she's getting banged by a lot of white guys :)
Jawga Boy

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah because books are so much better (sarcasm)
i know it's all the jews stuff on tv but some shows and movies i like. i will like this one i think. as long as she's getting banged by a lot of white guys :)
A few facts!

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/nielsen-study-afr...

Nielsen Study: Blacks Watch More TV Than Any Other Group

" There's a reason they call television the "idiot box." Some believe that if you spend too much time watching television, it will negatively affect your ability to think. Let's hope this isn't true, since a recent study from Nielsen is showing that African Americans watch television more than any other group in the country.

According to EURweb, in November 2010, when the data were compiled, African Americans used their TVs an average of 7 hours, 12 minutes each day -- above the U.S. average of 5 hours, 11 minutes. Asians watched TV the least, at just 3 hours, 14 minutes a day on average. African Americans used DVD players and video game consoles more than average, but whites were more likely to use DVRs. Some 40 percent of white families own DVRs, which is higher than average.

This has been the case for many years -- blacks watching more television than any other group. If this is the case, why aren't there more black television shows being produced? Why does it appear that we have more time than other groups to watch television? Perhaps we value television differently than other groups. If so, why? Whatever the case, too much of anything is rarely a good thing. "

TV is like dope to some of people.

“ dreaming of revelry”

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
<quoted text>
i havn't seen a lot of movies with her. the only one was lakeview terrace. there were some things i liked and some things i didn't. the white guy was a btch but it was funny about samuel l jackson being a jealous man and i think they made it out like his wife cheated on him with a white man. and she was pregnant at the end.
she was in ray.she played his wife.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Sassykatt wrote:
<quoted text>she was in ray.she played his wife.
yeah she isn't really in that many IR roles

@jawga boy that is interesting. television may cause your brain to work differently but the content is no worse than any book by a popular author

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

i smell irr all over this. targeting bw?? why would you just want to target bw, and how could that be successful in terms of ratings? and why can't we ever see a healthy aa relationships in the msm, and i mean a couple with great chemistry? no one wants to see the stereotypical one dimensional caricature of the aaw all the time - lots of attitude and not much else. that's so played out.
if ww can balance the role and image of being feminine and strong, why can't bw?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

DISASTER LOOMS wrote:
i smell irr all over this. targeting bw?? why would you just want to target bw, and how could that be successful in terms of ratings? and why can't we ever see a healthy aa relationships in the msm, and i mean a couple with great chemistry? no one wants to see the stereotypical one dimensional caricature of the aaw all the time - lots of attitude and not much else. that's so played out.
if ww can balance the role and image of being feminine and strong, why can't bw?
she actually is "strong" i saw the previews and she made this white woman cry by threatening her. and like the woman said in the article, you rarely see a black woman as a star of any kind of television show.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
<quoted text>
she actually is "strong" i saw the previews and she made this white woman cry by threatening her. and like the woman said in the article, you rarely see a black woman as a star of any kind of television show.
everytime is see a bw on tv or theatre in a serious role she always got a death stare and rocks in her jaw.'she made a ww cry'. wtf! is this how you appeal to bw? give me a break, this garbage won't last a whole season.
candayamz

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

I like grey's anatomy and private practice but I'm gonna pass on this one.I don't care for kerry washington's acting.My drama show slots are filled at the moment I have to keep a balance of comedy,crime and drama.

“ dreaming of revelry”

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah she isn't really in that many IR roles
@jawga boy that is interesting. television may cause your brain to work differently but the content is no worse than any book by a popular author
im watching it right now.the first thing i notice is this mcdonalds commercial with an attractive full black couple.then as it starts,theres interaction between a bm/ww,so i hope this stroked her ego well enogh to make her watch.i dont understand how the media bashes black women,and ignores us,then puts out a show like this.hows jadas show hawthorn doing? has it been cancelled yet?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Sassykatt wrote:
<quoted text> im watching it right now.the first thing i notice is this mcdonalds commercial with an attractive full black couple.then as it starts,theres interaction between a bm/ww,so i hope this stroked her ego well enogh to make her watch.i dont understand how the media bashes black women,and ignores us,then puts out a show like this.hows jadas show hawthorn doing? has it been cancelled yet?
i think that show got canceled after she had sex with mark anthony

but it was good. they threw the homely looking ww in there and it looks like she will be with the bm to satisfy them maybe :)

it would have been sexy if she was fcking the president and he was cheating on his wife but it looks like he will be the enemy. or maybe not, it seems like they would have put the boyfriend or whatever in the first episode and besides the presdent it doesn't seem like she would hook up with any of the others

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

oh and luckily i started watching it late so i was able to skip all the commercials :P
Sadbuttrue-LCC

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
i'll be watching it and i'm a guy :) kerry washington is sexy idk if i will see it tonight but have it set to record
Katherine “Kate” Waring murder 6/12//2009 Charleston, SC *Ethan Mack & Heather Angelica Kamp pled guilty; sentenced to prison*

Defendants
Ethan Mack – pled guilty; sentenced to 25 years in prison
Heather Angelica Kamp – pled guilty; sentenced to 39 years in prison

Coroner: Body found on Wadmalaw is Kate Waring
Couple charged in Kate Waring case
Suspect in Kate Waring murder pleads guilty, details victim’s final moments
Waring’s mother, father take stand in daughter’s murder trial
Mistrial on murder charge, guilty of forgery & obstruction of justice oct 2010
Ethan Mack takes plea deal in Waring death
Suspect in Kate Waring murder pleads guilty, details victim’s final moments
Ethan Mack sentenced to 25 years in Waring murder case

Kamp sentenced to 39 years for Waring murder
Heather Kamp files appeal in Waring murder case
Ethan Mack seeks new trial, citing ‘ineffective counsel’

Private investigators in Kate Waring case give their take of events apr 2011

Here's what I see all the time on TV on the crime shows!

Look at this Dumb Black men and his Big Fat White Whale that kllled this Young White girl who was a socialite!

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/2012/04/04...
Sadbuttrue-LCC

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

Grey December wrote:
the show seems like it might be good too. hope her boyfriend is white
Her BF is white in Real life! lmao

She doesn't date Black men anymore either!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••