'Hatfields & McCoys' Tom Berenger: 'T...

'Hatfields & McCoys' Tom Berenger: 'They are a bunch of hillbillies that went at each other'

There are 158 comments on the Zap2it.com story from May 28, 2012, titled 'Hatfields & McCoys' Tom Berenger: 'They are a bunch of hillbillies that went at each other'. In it, Zap2it.com reports that:

Deep in the woods outside of Bucharest, Romania, the sun sets early over bare trees.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Zap2it.com.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Bad Idea

Richmond, KY

#145 Jun 5, 2012
I hope the tourism boards do not do as stated in the paper and start doing reenactments of the trials and the Battle of Grapevine.

The civil war reenactments are nameless, the battle site is well known but it is just north against the south, the Union against the Confederates or the Rebels. In this case you will using the names of two families that are common names in the area. We are flush with Hatfields and McCoys and this kind of public exhibition of the Feud can also embarrass other well known family names. Cline is still a well known name. It don't take much now to set off an uneducated pill head. I feel this could cause a lot of trouble in the area by people that are not intelligent enough to view it as a historical event and take to violence to make a name for themselves or just uphold some kind of misquided sense of family honor..

Use the event for tours, sell trinkets or maybe have a play such as at Jenny Wiley Theater but mock trials and battles reeactments will cause problems.
documentary

Proctorville, OH

#146 Jun 7, 2012
Did any of you watch the documentary that aired in 6/2 called "Americas Greatest Feud"? I enjoyed it too!
documentary

Proctorville, OH

#147 Jun 7, 2012
more talented folks wrote:
<quoted text>
The documentary that was on yesterday at 4 p.m. featured two local people. Nancy Cade is a history professor at UPike and Reed Potter is also local.
Everyone who took part in the documentary were locals.
needs help

Thelma, KY

#148 Jun 7, 2012
documentary wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone who took part in the documentary were locals.
Even the Waller lady?
H_and_M

Proctorville, OH

#149 Jun 8, 2012
All the actors were locals. And the group who helped to direct /film it was a local production company called Triefecta Productions. My son played "Bud McCoy"...and was shot ... in the head.... lol
needs help

Thelma, KY

#150 Jun 8, 2012
H_and_M wrote:
All the actors were locals. And the group who helped to direct /film it was a local production company called Triefecta Productions. My son played "Bud McCoy"...and was shot ... in the head.... lol
I was referring to the people that were doing the commentary on the documentary. They were not all local people.
H_and_M

Proctorville, OH

#151 Jun 8, 2012
needs help wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the people that were doing the commentary on the documentary. They were not all local people.
Not sure. I know she met here to film.
Stan and Kyle

Newville, AL

#153 Jun 12, 2012
Musikologist wrote:
<quoted text>My great grandmother, Sarah Hatfield, was Devil Anse's niece. So....you're a McCoy, I'm a Hatfield, you name the place, time, and date, and I'll challenge you to a fight (^_-)
Can't we just shoot each other?
blat

Rome, GA

#154 Mar 2, 2013
Dixie-me wrote:
I agree Sweet, it is hard to replicate a southern accent, especially to a southerner's ears. I am enjoying the miniseries, even with it's flaws it is showing both sides and the good and bad of each side.
west Virginians are not southerners, just traitors to the south.
Black Thacker to the bone

Martin, KY

#156 Aug 11, 2013
blat wrote:
<quoted text>west Virginians are not southerners, just traitors to the south.
Should do a movie about the Thackers, a real Appalachian family with deep roots that is always overlooked. There wouldn't have been a pike county without the Thackers.
Thackers of Wva and Pike

Richmond, KY

#157 Aug 11, 2013
They talk about Thacker mountain in the movie on the West Virginia side next to the town of Red Jacket and Thacker. Plenty of Thacker's on the Ky. side also. Truth is most of the Thacker's were just like they are today, probably sold liquor and Guns to both sides just to make a dollar. I know they were married into both families as they are today. Thacker is one of the founding family names but so are about a dozen more common names such as Justice, Coleman, Sloan and so on. The Adkins family was on Greasy Creek and had a grist mill running before the Thacker's ever showed up in the wilderness as they called the area early on. There is a lot of history connected to most Pike County surnames that take up most of the phone book here. Nobody ever took the time to study their family history and a lot of it is lost to time since most of it was never written down.
Johnathan Masters

Louisville, KY

#158 Aug 12, 2013
blat wrote:
<quoted text>west Virginians are not southerners, just traitors to the south.
Traitors to the South? Is every American... a traitor to "the South" (which I am sure, you meant being pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy), in your mind? You do realize that the Confederates were declaring war on America, right? That would make them the first terrorists.

ALSO, Kentucky is the Shawnee's, and Shawnee means "Southerner"... so let's go back to our original culture and heritage, if you want to talk about those who were traitors to the South... was people like you.
Get it Straight

Richmond, KY

#159 Aug 12, 2013
Johnathan Masters wrote:
<quoted text>
Traitors to the South? Is every American... a traitor to "the South" (which I am sure, you meant being pro-slavery and pro-Confederacy), in your mind? You do realize that the Confederates were declaring war on America, right? That would make them the first terrorists.
ALSO, Kentucky is the Shawnee's, and Shawnee means "Southerner"... so let's go back to our original culture and heritage, if you want to talk about those who were traitors to the South... was people like you.
The Southern states did not declare war on the Union they just succeeded. They wanted to leave the union because of the way the federal government was trying to rule every aspect of their lives. The North declared war on the States that formed the confederacy and tried to leave the union. The south may have fired the first shot at Ft. Sumter but the Federal Government was trying to resupply it after Lincoln the same as declared war on the south and refused to let them leave the Union. The confederate states were not terrorist, they were an organized government and an organized army that fought on the field and did not use the tactics used by terrorist. If General Lee had not surrendered and ended hostilities when they lost then they might have been considered gorilla's. He could have disbanded the southern army but told them to resist and fight on as a gorilla force wherever they could. The war would have lasted for a decade or more longer if Lee had not surrendered and signed the necessary documents that ended the war. No way was the southern people or the southern army terrorist. The victor gets to write the history but this was never in the history books. To call the southern people terrorist is a damn lie.
Johnathan Masters

Louisville, KY

#160 Aug 12, 2013
Terrorists are America's enemies, and the Confederacy was America's enemy. Most Kentuckians fought for the North, like 100,000 vs 40,000, and since we were part of the Union, we should celebrate, because we cracked those racist Confederates skulls into pieces! Oh man! It was awesome! Confederates were saying slavery is good, and then BAM! They dead as a door nail. God Bless good ole Abe Lincoln. What a great Kentucky man. Strong, moral, uncorruptible... self-educated. What a great man. Viva Abe Lincoln... the greatest KYian ever born.
Get it Straight

Richmond, KY

#161 Aug 12, 2013
Johnathan Masters wrote:
Terrorists are America's enemies, and the Confederacy was America's enemy. Most Kentuckians fought for the North, like 100,000 vs 40,000, and since we were part of the Union, we should celebrate, because we cracked those racist Confederates skulls into pieces! Oh man! It was awesome! Confederates were saying slavery is good, and then BAM! They dead as a door nail. God Bless good ole Abe Lincoln. What a great Kentucky man. Strong, moral, uncorruptible... self-educated. What a great man. Viva Abe Lincoln... the greatest KYian ever born.
If the people in 1865 knew what a mess this country would be in, in 2013 the northerners would have shot ole Abe. Just because we got a house darky in the white house over this welfare state don't mean we have arrived at the promised land. No jobs, what few they are low paying, 49,000,000 on food stamps, the government is broke. What we call federal reserve notes will be as worthless and confederate money soon. What did you all win..lol
Every damn livin wage job was outsourced and the H1B VISA's from India get the rest. Hell if ole Abe could see this mess he would have called off the war and surrendered, probably shot himself.
peacock

United States

#162 Aug 12, 2013
Get it Straight wrote:
<quoted text>If the people in 1865 knew what a mess this country would be in, in 2013 the northerners would have shot ole Abe. Just because we got a house darky in the white house over this welfare state don't mean we have arrived at the promised land. No jobs, what few they are low paying, 49,000,000 on food stamps, the government is broke. What we call federal reserve notes will be as worthless and confederate money soon. What did you all win..lol
Every damn livin wage job was outsourced and the H1B VISA's from India get the rest. Hell if ole Abe could see this mess he would have called off the war and surrendered, probably shot himself.
I agree!
The real Pike County

Clemmons, NC

#163 Aug 18, 2013
Pain pills, vote buying, junk trailers, incest, crooked politicians, snuff, and a 99 year old Sherriff. It's a whole other country.
Jonathan Damon Hatfield

Gainesville, FL

#165 Jul 15, 2015
he wasnt a soldier wrote:
<quoted text>couldnt desert, cause he was never in the actual army, he started his own group of guerillas to fight the soldiers, i suspect mainly to protect his land from the hoards of soldiers who came in to the south and burned the homes, etc
he was never officially in the service, so he only deserted the group he started
Yes, he was. Lt. Of the 45th Infantry Battalion of VA. The whole desertion angle comes from his name not being present for a roll call. However, how many guerrilla fighters report their name on combatant lists. He enlisted to get Confederate supplies & take his guerrilla war back to Logan. He didn't wanna go fight & die in Pittsylvania...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biography Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A few weeks before he died, Malcolm X endured a... Tue Islam sucks 9
News Weird 29 mins ago 2:52 p.m.Yes, there is a weir... Jun '16 Jack 2
News Muhammad Alia s cemetery opens to public, and f... Jun '16 Patriot 23
News Sotomayor, Spielberg win Harvard Du Bois medals (Oct '13) Jun '16 Dig Gravers 12
News A secret room lies behind Lincoln's head at Mou... Jun '16 Christaliban 10
News Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at Jun '16 Marie-Luise_J 1
News Maddon shares fond memories of 'The Greatest' Jun '16 HIP v Ali 2
More from around the web