Tourists see a different Iran reality than a Argoa image

Full story: USA Today

Ben Affleck's popcorn thriller Argo may have nabbed the Oscar for best picture at Sunday's Academy Awards ceremony, Ben Affleck's hostage thriller Argo may have nabbed the Oscar for best picture at Sunday's Academy Awards ceremony, but its depiction of Iran as a seething hotbed of anti-American fervor is a stark contrast to the curiosity and warm ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Denis

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

The reality of Iran is still abysmal. I have lived there, speak the language fluently, love the people, and hate the current oppressive regime. The regime still persecutes religious minorities such as Baha'is, Sufi Muslims, Christians, and Jews, it still represses women, gay men and women, pro-democracy activists and anyone else to whom it takes a dislike. They still hang more people than any other country, their trials are a farce, their hatred of Israel is horrifying and their threats even more so. Given freedom from the monsters who rule them, the Iranian people could show their true colours as a cultured and lively nation.
w wmanuk

Didcot, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Denis wrote:
The reality of Iran is still abysmal. I have lived there, speak the language fluently, love the people, and hate the current oppressive regime. The regime still persecutes religious minorities such as Baha'is, Sufi Muslims, Christians, and Jews, it still represses women, gay men and women, pro-democracy activists and anyone else to whom it takes a dislike. They still hang more people than any other country, their trials are a farce, their hatred of Israel is horrifying and their threats even more so. Given freedom from the monsters who rule them, the Iranian people could show their true colours as a cultured and lively nation.
At last a man who speaks the truth.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

Classmates and friends from Tehran as students in the US during the crisis through the eighties saw their country wind into a place, that they will not return to with their children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Argo Discussions

Search the Argo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Ben Affleck shows he's quite the hands-on-fathe... May '14 teresa 1
Ben Affleck banned from blackjack at Las Vegas ... May '14 Sterkfontein Swartkrans 1
Ben Affleck as Batman might not be so bad (Aug '13) Dec '13 sam 8
Raja Sen: Why Ben Affleck will make a GOOD Batman (Aug '13) Aug '13 Rb RECORDS 1
Give Ben Affleck a Bat Break (Aug '13) Aug '13 Tehran Calling 1
Ben Affleck As Batman: Hollywood's Best Reactions (Aug '13) Aug '13 Rb RECORDS 1
Why Is TV Cooler Than Movies These Days? Becaus... (Aug '13) Aug '13 sassyntrashy 22
•••
•••
•••