10 Anti-Christianity movies

Apr 25, 2011 Full story: Examiner.com 10

Today is Easter Sunday, so for those not celebrating the Christian holiday the pagan way with eggs and imaginary bunnies, here are ten anti-Christianity movies to check out: Religulous Bill Maher mocks religion with a little help from believers in this movie that originally aimed for an Easter release date.

Full Story

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#1 Apr 25, 2011
I suppose my first observation would be that there was a natural assumption that modern pagans would be interested in "Anti-Christianity Movies" in the first place. I'm sure a great many pagans are interested at the chance to scoff at others' beliefs but I think this isn't as universal as people might believe. I'm sure the article only shows in Topix's newsfeed for the Pagan/Wiccan forum because the word pagan is mentioned by nonetheless.

Also I think it fundamentally ignores the idea that:
(a) a great many of the films listed in the article are by "atheists/agnostics" ,(why a better distinction is not made could be a whole other level to the discussion) who might be as inclined to mock all religions and spiritualities as irrelevant.
(b) films like The Magdalene Sisters and even Agora focus on the issue of orthodoxy and religious structures in terms of power and society. They aren't really on an "anti-Christianity" slant per se.

Basically since film is an artform it's subjective nature has to me more fluid than that right?

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#2 Apr 25, 2011
Surprised they didn't mention the Handmaid's Tale. Maybe it was too old.

Location hidden

#3 Apr 25, 2011
I didn't take it as implying anything directed at pagans. The author wrote, "for those not celebrating the Christian holiday the pagan way with eggs and imaginary bunnies". Sounds more like she has the "Christians celebrate what's actually a pagan holiday" mentality, coupled with assuming anyone who isn't a Christian and/or not celebrating the holiday must be anti-Christian, rather than simply non-Christian. No wonder she lumps agnostics and atheists together.

Chalk it up to the often inferior quality of internet "journalists" - i.e., anyone with a keyboard.

Location hidden

#4 Apr 25, 2011
@CShine, I've heard of The Handmaid's Tale but not actually watched it yet, any good?

@Callisto, oh no I was referring to the all too common Topix system sending an article entitled "10 Anti-Christianity Movies" to the PAGAN/WICCAN NEWS feed (to the right side menu ->) simply because it mentioned the term pagan. But then one might point the irony that I was interested ;)

If the Neighbourhood Witch thread is anything to go by Christianity has and will continue to feature for a great many Pagans to come.

Location hidden

#5 Apr 25, 2011
Abhainn wrote:
@CShine, I've heard of The Handmaid's Tale but not actually watched it yet, any good?
@Callisto, oh no I was referring to the all too common Topix system sending an article entitled "10 Anti-Christianity Movies" to the PAGAN/WICCAN NEWS feed (to the right side menu ->) simply because it mentioned the term pagan. But then one might point the irony that I was interested ;)
If the Neighbourhood Witch thread is anything to go by Christianity has and will continue to feature for a great many Pagans to come.
OIC.

I agree Christianity plays a large part for many Neo-Pagans because so many come from a Christian background. Many seem to arrive at pagan paths like abused wives arriving at a women's shelter. Lots of baggage, hurt, sometimes a lot of anger. Many finally free themselves and drop the baggage, others carry the grudge no matter what.

“Dance with Fire- Boycott BS”

Since: Apr 07

Moon

#6 Apr 25, 2011
Abhainn wrote:
Well, it is a movie based on the fairly well-known novel. At least, it was basic reading material even in NC public highschool. The novel is a scathing and almost terrifying portrait of what the world would be like if a large, rich, powerful, industrialized nation, say like the United States, were to become a tolitalitarian theocracy. In the case of the novel a fairly right-wing fundementalist version of Christianity, which is where the handmaids come into play. If I remember correctly, there was some kind of toxic exposure or maybe just age that causes the wives of the theocratic leaders to be infertile. So they employ the 'wombs' of women basically enslaved for the purpose of bearing children for the new regime.

Both the novel and the moview are, well enjoyable is not the right word, but well written, well-produced. The movie came put in the 90's and I guess may have been considered outdated by the kid who wrote up the list. However, it remains a movie adaptation of a classic and perhaps essential novel. Even our mild-mannered Baptist English teacher thought so.

Location hidden

#7 Apr 26, 2011
Ah it might have been in the American Lit module at my college. We don't do much American literature in secondary (high) school here. I might run out and get the novel sooner than the film though, I needs me a summer reading list soon ;)
conservative liberals

Maldon, UK

#8 May 24, 2012
The bible prophecises that Toy Story 2 is the real anti-christ film. It is filled with subliminal messaging which denounces the Lord and his ways!!!
When played backwards at 24 minutes in the slinky says that 'satan is here and that melons are half price!'

Location hidden

#9 May 25, 2012
Abhainn wrote:
Oddly enough I had a module dedicated to Margaret Atwood this semester and wrote on The Handmaid's Tale as a speculative fiction on dystopian world. Very interesting novel and I read some other works of hers too but will have to revise some of these again.
Weird how came up in conversation here nearly a year beforehand.
aur56

Aurora, MO

#10 May 25, 2012
conservative liberals wrote:
The bible prophecises that Toy Story 2 is the real anti-christ film. It is filled with subliminal messaging which denounces the Lord and his ways!!!
When played backwards at 24 minutes in the slinky says that 'satan is here and that melons are half price!'
Sounds alot like playing The beatles Abby Road backwards. it was supposed to say, Paul is dead....it did not

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antichrist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pat Robertson Blames 'God Of The Heathen' For R... Aug 28 Gremlin 5
The West's Unrequited Love - Ukraine Jul '14 Dimitri100 37
Antichrist is on his/her way Jun '14 beaty 1
Forced Reading: 4th Grade Common Core Book Tell... (Nov '13) Feb '14 Teach 14
Pastor: Obama is paving the way for the Antichrist (Jan '14) Feb '14 The Real Goose 8
Comet Ison and the Apocalypse (Nov '13) Dec '13 reveal 2
Was Barack Obama ever Barry Soetoro? (Sep '12) Nov '13 rollin 10
•••
•••

Antichrist People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••