25 Gay Films Everyone Should See: The Sequel

It's a timeworn Hollywood adage: The sequel is never as good as the original. And yet, there exist exceptions to the rule -- Aliens.

Full Story
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#1 Feb 25, 2011
ALIENS is one of my FAV movies of all time and i STILL use references to it on a daily basis.

(What's the only way to be sure ?)

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#2 Feb 25, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
ALIENS is one of my FAV movies of all time and i STILL use references to it on a daily basis.
yeah, yeah. nuke the site from orbit.

“God hates me!”

Since: May 07

West Texas, USA

#3 Feb 25, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
Watching Pvt Hudson was like looking in a mirror for ya?

“God hates me!”

Since: May 07

West Texas, USA

#4 Feb 25, 2011
I have seen about a quarter of the movies on that list but the one that hit me the most was Latter Days. As an ex mormon (and missionary), I knew what that experience was like first hand.
And the ending brought me to tears.

Since: Jul 09

Indy/Philly/Toronto

#5 Feb 25, 2011
What about "Parting Glances?"
A wonderful 80's, early-HIV, New York based film that put actor Steve Buscemi on the map. It covered every gay issue imaginable and also had a great message.
And really ... Victor Victoria was NOT a gay film. It was an almost homophobic romantic comedy with gay situations whose target was straight couples who cringe when they see 2 men kissing, but consider themselves "gay-friendly."
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#6 Feb 25, 2011
i LOVE Steve Buscemi !

ESPECIALLY in FARGO.

LOL
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#7 Feb 25, 2011
mark in Toronto wrote:
A wonderful 80's, early-HIV, New York based film that put actor Steve Buscemi on the map. It covered every gay issue imaginable and also had a great message.
And really ... Victor Victoria was NOT a gay film. It was an almost homophobic romantic comedy with gay situations whose target was straight couples who cringe when they see 2 men kissing, but consider themselves "gay-friendly."
What about "The Ritz" with Jack Weston & Jerry Stllir ? Is that a "gay" film ?

(I LOVE that movie !:))

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#8 Feb 25, 2011
mark in Toronto wrote:
"Parting Glances" was one of the films covered in the original article (this, as indicated, is a "sequel" to the first list of 25.)

And really ... "Victor/Victoria" was a tremendously successful and much loved comedy that broke down many barriers in its day. There's nothing even vaguely homophobic about Robert Preston's delightful character, Toddy, and his unexpected romance with the bodyguard played by ex-pro-football player Alex Karras was a clever twist that held a mirror up to mainstream audiences' preconceived notions about gays on film. Can you name (m)any other Oscar-nominated major studio films of the time that ended so happily for the gay characters?

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Feb 25, 2011
What a list only a couple films of quality. But a lot of sexy men and women.

Angry was good, Rocky was good but then they were entertainment films. Made to showcase outlandish scenes and characters.

Victor, was again entertainment.

While English films, or Australian can be very good, they miss the humor for most Americans. I loved Priscilla but found Too Wong Foo better here.

La Cage, was very good if you liked the English translation from French, but Re-do for america birdcage told a like story that was tuned to our humor.

Sexual films have their place, humor is more fun, and love films like Crying Game are great.

Imagine a deep kiss between Ripley and the Momma Alien, that tongue bites.
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#10 Feb 26, 2011
The 1948 movie,The Red Shoes
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#11 Feb 26, 2011
And womens prison movies.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#12 Feb 26, 2011
JMichael in Fort Worth wrote:
<quoted text>
"Parting Glances" was one of the films covered in the original article (this, as indicated, is a "sequel" to the first list of 25.)
And really ... "Victor/Victoria" was a tremendously successful and much loved comedy that broke down many barriers in its day. There's nothing even vaguely homophobic about Robert Preston's delightful character, Toddy, and his unexpected romance with the bodyguard played by ex-pro-football player Alex Karras was a clever twist that held a mirror up to mainstream audiences' preconceived notions about gays on film. Can you name (m)any other Oscar-nominated major studio films of the time that ended so happily for the gay characters?
Victor/Victoria was written in 1933 in Germany.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#13 Feb 26, 2011
A really HOT gay film I saw in the early 70's in Times Square was "Young Men's Reform School" (it was a double feature with "Davey Does Dallas, Denver And Des Moines"). YMRS was HOT !

:)

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#14 Feb 27, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Victor/Victoria was written in 1933 in Germany.
No, dear, the film you're referring to was "Viktor und Viktoria", which was penned by Reinhold Schunzel. The one discussed in the article that the rest of us are discussing was written by Blake Edwards, from a concept by Hans Hoemberg, who in turn was inspired by Schunzel's original script.

But thanks for trying to contribute something to the conversation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A Single Man Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lookin singke man from california (Feb '12) Feb '12 Lookin man 1
single and 40 and live with my parents (Feb '12) Feb '12 ikonika 1
With 'A Single Man,' Colin Firth is hot again (Jan '10) Dec '11 JonsGirly 2
TV Column: Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin (Mar '11) Mar '11 I can read 4
'King's Speech' gets 14 BAFTA noms (Jan '11) Jan '11 electric power 1
The prestige movie season officially begins at ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 TIFF 1
Lakeland Filmmaker Attempts Feature Film in One... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Yeah Right 1
More from around the web