Did race affect the Oscars race?

Did race affect the Oscars race?

There are 6 comments on the Star Tribune story from Mar 9, 2014, titled Did race affect the Oscars race?. In it, Star Tribune reports that:

Best supporting actress winner Lupita Nyong'o and director Steve McQueen celebrated on stage as he accepted the Oscar for best picture for “12 Years a Slave” last Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star Tribune.

Parent Voices

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 9, 2014
Forget the Oscars!! What about the public education system? It can easily be identified as K-12 Years A Slave! What are your thoughts on this short film promo featuring Oscar Award winning filmmaker and director, Steve McQueen?

The conversation must be had!!

“Groooovin'”

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#2 Mar 12, 2014
Are ya Trying to START something??
Rex Reed

Lexington, KY

#3 Mar 12, 2014
The Oscars lost all credibility years ago!

Greta Garbo never won an acting Oscar, yet Whoopi Goldberg has....insane!!
Huh

Princeton, WV

#12 Mar 13, 2014
When will they do a film about Anthony johnson the black man who legalized slavery in america?

“Opposing Evil, Helping Good”

Since: Feb 14

EVERYWHERE!!!

#14 Mar 13, 2014
Rex Reed wrote:
The Oscars lost all credibility years ago!
Greta Garbo never won an acting Oscar, yet Whoopi Goldberg has....insane!!
Myself, I'm more of a "old-school" fan. I'm more into older movies than I am newer ones. I'm more likely to watch a Greta Garbo movie than anything that comes out today. I have seen a few 2013 movies but not very many. And I NEVER goto a theater! It's just not my thing; I'd rather watch stuff in private so I can rewind/fast-forward, pause, make screenshots, use timestretch, etc., etc., etc.

And needless to say I haven't seen this movie "12 Years A Slave". I might at some time in the future, although I have not as of the present...

And I haven't seen any of Whoopi Goldberg's recent stuff. I know she's done stuff, but by chance, I haven't watched any of it.

But all of her like 80s and 90s stuff (that I know of) is awesome!!! Such as "Jumpin Jack Flash (1986)" I always loved that movie! It's about like she's chatting on a computer, kinda like we do now except this was 1986, and anyone my age or older (I was about 10 when it came out) knows that such things were VERY different in that day! And yeah it's just a awesome movie!

And "Burglar (1987)" you gotta love that one! She's a like ex-con. And their's this kinda d!cky cop, whose trying to get her to pull jobs, he's basically blackmailing her. And so she ends up witnissing a murder, and goes on the lamb, and steals a police motorcycle and a bunch of stuff... it's pretty awesome!

"Made In America (1993)" I didn't like quite as much, but I think the reason is because I had trouble following some of the stuff. I thought it was set in the future (like about now, or so), because I didn't realize they had sperm-banks and artificial insemination and stuff, in the like 70s. I just didn't realize that. I was like 17 years old, I was inexperienced, their was a bunch of stuff I didn't know, realize, or understand, at that time.

And idk their's a bunch of others, but those are pretty much my faves (from her). Their was one I saw like recently, but it was form like 1992 or so, it was about like the Apartheid stuff. I can't think of the name of it (like "Saratoga" or something like that... it was the name of one of the main characters, in the movie...) it was pretty awesome. I never saw it back then, I kinda wish I had, lol, because it was pretty good!

Anyway, about the article at the top... oh I don't even wanna go into all the stuff wrong with the stuff I just read in that article...

For starters, nobody should EVER vote for a movie for "social" reasons, like that. Come on! That's just dumb! A movie is ENTERTAINMENT! Nothing more, nothing less! Was it entertaining, or wasn't it? Come on!

And that's all I'm gonna say about that, right now. I'll do another post later and address the article in more detail :)
trying

Decatur, GA

#16 Mar 9, 2015
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Myself, I'm more of a "old-school" fan. I'm more into older movies than I am newer ones. I'm more likely to watch a Greta Garbo movie than anything that comes out today. I have seen a few 2013 movies but not very many. And I NEVER goto a theater! It's just not my thing; I'd rather watch stuff in private so I can rewind/fast-forward, pause, make screenshots, use timestretch, etc., etc., etc.
And needless to say I haven't seen this movie "12 Years A Slave". I might at some time in the future, although I have not as of the present...
And I haven't seen any of Whoopi Goldberg's recent stuff. I know she's done stuff, but by chance, I haven't watched any of it.
But all of her like 80s and 90s stuff (that I know of) is awesome!!! Such as "Jumpin Jack Flash (1986)" I always loved that movie! It's about like she's chatting on a computer, kinda like we do now except this was 1986, and anyone my age or older (I was about 10 when it came out) knows that such things were VERY different in that day! And yeah it's just a awesome movie!
And "Burglar (1987)" you gotta love that one! She's a like ex-con. And their's this kinda d!cky cop, whose trying to get her to pull jobs, he's basically blackmailing her. And so she ends up witnissing a murder, and goes on the lamb, and steals a police motorcycle and a bunch of stuff... it's pretty awesome!
"Made In America (1993)" I didn't like quite as much, but I think the reason is because I had trouble following some of the stuff. I thought it was set in the future (like about now, or so), because I didn't realize they had sperm-banks and artificial insemination and stuff, in the like 70s. I just didn't realize that. I was like 17 years old, I was inexperienced, their was a bunch of stuff I didn't know, realize, or understand, at that time.
And idk their's a bunch of others, but those are pretty much my faves (from her). Their was one I saw like recently, but it was form like 1992 or so, it was about like the Apartheid stuff. I can't think of the name of it (like "Saratoga" or something like that... it was the name of one of the main characters, in the movie...) it was pretty awesome. I never saw it back then, I kinda wish I had, lol, because it was pretty good!
Anyway, about the article at the top... oh I don't even wanna go into all the stuff wrong with the stuff I just read in that article...
For starters, nobody should EVER vote for a movie for "social" reasons, like that. Come on! That's just dumb! A movie is ENTERTAINMENT! Nothing more, nothing less! Was it entertaining, or wasn't it? Come on!
And that's all I'm gonna say about that, right now. I'll do another post later and address the article in more detail :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Movies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News JUMBO and the return of the elephants (Dec '08) Sat Roshini 13
Best Movie you ever saw! (Dec '12) Jul 2 Jagger 92
News 'Ted 2' lags behind 'Jurassic World,' 'Inside Out' Jun 29 accept it 2
The New Jurassic Park Movie: Jurassic World Jun 25 Anonymous 1
News CS Video: Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet on Reun... Jun 25 Irisheyes 1
News 'Do I Sound Gay?' Doc Continues to Echo Jun 23 Belle Sexton 1
News Emily Blunt stars as Tucson cop in crime thrill... Jun 21 Just heck 2
More from around the web