Levy renewal election nears

There are 18 comments on the Lincoln Journal story from Oct 31, 2013, titled Levy renewal election nears. In it, Lincoln Journal reports that:

Preparations are continuing for the Saturday, November 16, 2013 school levy referendum, where Lincoln County voters will be asked to renew the longstanding school levy for another five years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lincoln Journal.

Must

Hamlin, WV

#1 Nov 4, 2013
Very Important for Lincoln County youth
Parent

Branchland, WV

#2 Nov 5, 2013
Why would a parent vote for a Levy in Lincoln County when we have to send our kids to Logan County to school? And we don't even want to talk about the joke of a school we have here at Harts Pre-K. My family and I will vote. We will vote against the levy.
darla

Lewisburg, WV

#3 Nov 7, 2013
Vote NO- it will lower our taxes!!!!!
The Chicago way

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 7, 2013
Must wrote:
Very Important for Lincoln County youth
See the full page statement from Josh Brumfield, the assessor in this week's Lincoln Journal.

Taxes will nearly double on residential and rental property because the assed rate will change from the present 51 percent of market value to 90 percent of market value (178 percent increase). That will occur most certainly at the same time this levy would have taken effect.

There are two school levies in our taxes.

The first is a permanent levy and is at 20 cents per hundred dollars of assessed value.

The second is this supplemental levy that is at .21 cents per hundred dollars of value.

The school system will get a windfall of at least 50 to 60 percent from the permanent levy which would be in excess of 1.5 million dollar a year.

The bottom line for residential and rental property is that if you had a tax bill of $500. presently, it will become $900. annually. Of that $900 this levy will count for $297. Had it been at the old value it would have been $165. the balcne of $132. represents an increase that will produce dollars above the $3.5 million dollars they sought.

This this supplemental levy they would get the 3.5 million they asked for plus 50 to 60 percent excess.

Not surprisingly nothing in the way of public promotion of this levy is coming from the School Administration. Possibly because they are too busy preparing for that super duper football stadium they were cheated out of because the voters declined the bond levy. To be sure they will "act" surprised and proceed to spend the windfall like drunken sailors. Actually, that might be unfair to drunken sailors.

In many circles you would cause this failure to disclose all potential sources of income an act of fraud. If this plays out it should result in the resignation of Superintendent and the school board.

After all as Patty Lucas said, "It is for the children". It will be virtually impossible to claw back this windfall once the levy passes.

Do your home work. I support the schools but I cannot reward deceit from the school administration who feels they are entitled despite what the voting public believes. After all, they are educated and know so much more than we do. The "let them eat cake" attitude is a bit much.
maxine

Lewisburg, WV

#5 Nov 7, 2013
I agree.
Sam

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Nov 8, 2013
Vote no.
Hahaha

Hamlin, WV

#7 Nov 9, 2013
"The Chicago Way" Ron Gregory you make me laugh saying you support the schools. What a joke!!! Why don't you just keep your nose out of Lincoln County business and go about your way by now embarrassing Boone County. We know how you really feel and that is you want nothing good to happen in Lincoln County.
charlotte

Inez, KY

#8 Nov 10, 2013
I vote NO.
Property Owner

Milton, WV

#9 Nov 10, 2013
Harts Creek will vote no towards the levy. Sorry, but when the Harts students were done so shitty it caused a rift in the county. Harts parents and property owners from the Harts area will never vote for a levy. No new stadium for a losing team and no towards the levy.
The Chicago Way

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 10, 2013
Hahaha wrote:
"The Chicago Way" Ron Gregory you make me laugh saying you support the schools. What a joke!!! Why don't you just keep your nose out of Lincoln County business and go about your way by now embarrassing Boone County. We know how you really feel and that is you want nothing good to happen in Lincoln County.
You are so dam* stupid you don't even know how your behind "feels".

Not Ron Gregory, get off it.

This is the way it is:

Ron Gregory is still a Board Member and Mike Mosteller is still suspended without pay. Don't tell me he didn't do something good for Lincoln County.
janice

Inez, KY

#11 Nov 11, 2013
Josh says the taxes will double and I believe him. Vote NO
donna

Inez, KY

#12 Nov 14, 2013
When will the election be held?
The Way it is

Austin, TX

#13 Nov 14, 2013
donna wrote:
When will the election be held?
Saturday,next.
PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID

Saint Albans, WV

#14 Nov 17, 2013
Ha, it passed.
yep

Ripley, WV

#15 Nov 17, 2013
LINCOLN COUNTY, W.Va.(WSAZ)-- Residents in Lincoln County, West Virginia voted to pass a $17.8 million dollar levy Saturday.

That levy will provide just over $3.5 million dollars a year to area schools over the next 5 years.

Unofficial results show 1,153 people cast ballots for the levy, while 661 voted no. That translates to roughly 64% to 36%.

The multimillion dollar levy will provide money to fund teachers and staff, as well as fund text books, library materials, and transportation.

Just over 10% of registered voters showed up to cast ballots. That was lower than expected.

The new levy will go into effect July 1st, 2014
The Chicago way

Charleston, WV

#16 Feb 17, 2014
The Chicago way

Chicago, IL

#17 Feb 17, 2014
The Chicago way wrote:
http://www.wvgazette.com/Opini on/Editorials/201306030060
Now little Mz Hostetler you are really desperate when you start stealing identities in an attempt to confuse. I jus gots one question about that obviously strategically timed editorial. How much time did yore Daddy have to spend on his knees to get it done. And, I ain't taliin' about prayin'.
The Chicago way

Fulton, IN

#18 Feb 27, 2014
Everybody already knows I'm Ron Gregory, I guess I should just give up the charade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslims made unwelcome as times toughen (Oct '10) May 1 Republican 97
News Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Apr 23 thertruth 23,580
News Survey: Nearly 9 in 10 US adults now have healt... Apr 22 Jose A Rodriguez 4
News JC, library at odds over $100,000 loan Apr 15 Hank Waxman 4
News Hillary Clinton fast facts Apr 12 discocrisco 1
News Ashland business leader faces 9 sex charges (Sep '13) Apr 10 neighbor 5
News John Sommer juried art show begins today; award... (Apr '10) Apr 10 Art Odyssey returns 2
More from around the web